So what's your crafting experience been like in SWGemu?

A board for general discussion of the various SWG Emulators

Moderator: Forum Moderator

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

So what's your crafting experience been like in SWGemu?

Post by wrackspurt » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 am

I wasn't around for pre-NGE, and I'd like to run a crafter in this game. I've been trying to get used this version, but without having junk loot to sell or anybody to sell it to, I've had a hard time getting started (and staying alive with the extra long leashes on mobs). So what's it been like for you guys?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: So what's your crafting experience been like in SWGemu?

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

I did play SWG pre-CU, and it was difficult to readjust and relearn. A big thing I discovered was that a lot of the nostalgia and fond memories I had were due to the newness, my discoveries and fresh experiences in SWG. Going back and knowing a lot of the games secrets took some of the fun out of it. It wasn't the same. I fell in love with SWG in pre-CU, but, if I had a choice, I would play a latter version. Unfortunately, there is no choice and the EMU has the only playable version of SWG available today.
That said, the EMU is not the game pre-CU was, because it isnt finished. No pets and no droids are just huge. Leveling a combat char is way harder then it is supposed to be because you cant use pets or a combat droid.

Crafting will be much easier for someone who only played the later versions of the game to pick up. The basic crafting game of per-CU was carried through to the end. As long as you can separate the things that were added out, you will find it very familiar. Architect is almost exactly the same, so is Tailor. Weapons and armor have different schematics, but the basics of resources, factory subcomponants and experimentation are what you know. Chef is a much larger profession in pre-CU. Medical crafting will be new to you, but it is huge in pre-CU. Combat simply does not happen without Doctor crafted buffs and stimpacks.

Some advice for newcomers: make two chars and start surveying. You can have up to 10 chars and 2 on at the same time. Do delivery missions and/or survey missions to earn cash. Start off as Master Artisan and Architect. MA lets you make swoops and some electronics that Arch needs. If you want to try another profession, do it on your second char and keep the Artisan/Arch around.

My crafters are Savacc and Mi'to, who are yours?

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:42 am

You got a shop somewhere?

A couple of my co-workers do Final Fantasy online, and the way they described the crafting system sounded so familiar, I started getting nostalgic again. I'd done a bunch of crafting in LOTRO, and did like the simplified system, but being a merchant in the game is something totally different. Only thing that sells in that game reliably is absolute top end stuff. The foods are not even cost effective to make, what with the cost of expensive ingredients that you have to have. And crafting in SWTOR was simply un-inspiring.

Anyway, I've been done with LOTRO for awhile now, and while I'm glad to be done grinding (4 80+ lvl toons, and a 75 before I got burnt out), I never forget Galaxies.

BTW, is that new being allowed multiple characters? I had thought they only allowed you one.

New guy.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:56 pm

The 10 chars, 2 on at a time is an EMU thing. The EMU is FTP, in fact, their agreement with LA is that they can never charge/make a profit, from the game. They had to register as a Nonprofit organization. So, you are only allowed one account. Multiple accounts in a household, for multiple people, have to be approved. Thing is, most of us had more then one account, back in the day, and did "duel box". The EMU made a way to have multiple chars on the same server and play two of them at a time, with only one account.

I have a shop on Naboo, south of Theed on the build line -6380 3570

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:08 pm

So I'm on my speederbike cruising through hills outside of Mos Entha, get to the bottom of one, and my vehicle won't stop pulling wheelies. It's doing it with the speederbike and the landspeeder. I dismount the vehicle and find myself about 100 meters in the air. Once I hit the ground, I try and put down a wind generator, but no matter where I put it, I keep getting the "out of range" message. Log out and in, same thing. Shut down the client completely, log back in, same thing. Good lord.

I thought they were boring at the time, but I god I miss the legacy quests and the cash that went with them. I spent the better part of 4 hours doing survey missions last night. Still easier and quicker than having the scout destroy animal nests and the accompany beasties. I think it was because of the tedium of that, that I stopped playing for a long while. But despite the obstacles, crafting does feel much the same as I remember, and still is a rewarding experience. Is it my imagination or is the game pickier than SWG used to be on where you can put down structures? No matter what server I was on, used to always like putting down a house by the stone formations west of Entha, but it was giving me a hard time about that in emu.

I will check out your shop.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 pm

0nyx will have a better idea on if the EMU is "pickier" on structure placement or not. Part of the agreement with LA also included that each account in the EMU had to have a purchased copy of the game and use the "client files" that the SOE disks put on your computer. The EMU then has to re-engineer all of the server side code. So the question would be, is structure placement a function of the client or server? If client, it will be the same as SOE, if server, it will different, but they tried to make it the same.

I havent had the swoop flying 100 feet in the air and dismounting happen to me, but I have heard about it. Some of those issues with vehicles are being worked on and I read of a fix on TC. That is part of the experience of playing the EMU, finding bugs and watching them get fixed, hopefully.

You have already tried a soft log and a full log. some things take a server reset to fix. If you are still 100 feet in the air, go to the EMU forums and click on "Live Support" and tell someone there. They can "teleport" you back to the ground. 0nyx could do it for you. (She is a very influential person in the EMU) If you were on TC, I could. (they, very foolishly, gave me some powers to help them test things on TC) (actually, just about everyone on TC is also a tester and has the same powers I have) (it is probably not proper grammar to use more then one parenthesis, back to back like I just did :mrgreen: )

If you are on the ground, try shuttling somewhere. If that doesnt work, Live Support can help.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 am

I'm not actually stuck in the air. That only lasts a few seconds before I re-appear on the ground. But I think that the game thinks that I'm still in the air, thus the constant "out of range" message every time I tried to put down a harvester. It reminds me of that old bug wherein you couldn't loot a body because it was either stuck in the ground too deep or the animation was so small you couldn't access it.

So "self-sufficient" you say, huh? That's one way to put it. The words "tycoon" and "magnate" come to mind as well. Nice spread.

Just out of curiousity, how high in surveying did you go?

The grind is definitely going faster this attempt. When I first got started prices at the bazaar were ridiculous. Couldn't afford anything, but now you can actually get things cheap. Huge help.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:58 pm

How far in Surveying? Surveying 4 plus 25 in SEAs on two chars. I dont remember surveying tapes doing anything on Live, but in the EMU they not only give you more resources per sample, they increase your survey range :shock: At +25 (125 skill) you can survey at 1024m range :mrgreen:

Prices are lower on everything. Most people blame the 10 chars per account that lets anyone make their own stuff if they want (and go to all that effort)

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Most people blame the 10 chars per account that lets anyone make their own stuff if they want
I guess I never really understood market forces in this game. Used to sell combat droids on Chimaera almost as I could make them some weeks, and I often wondered who is buying all these droids. It was a busy server, but plenty of competition in the droid market too. I was starting to get the impression that people wanted 1 of every kind or something.

Personally, time (and money) seems an obstacle whether you've got 2 chars or 10. I was on like 6 hours last night. Got 2 boxes in engineering, 2 in domestics (because I'm vain in-game) and 1 in surveying and still don't have enough money to pay for maintenance on my windmills. I've got the surveying missions down to a science now shuttling back and forth between Espa and Eisley for ferrous metal. I'm enjoying the challenge though. This is a lot like starting a new char on Eclipse in it's later years. I've barely touched my scout, and can't even imagine having 10 toons going.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 am

You are leaving your surveyors to AFK sample overnight, right?

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:21 pm

I think I must need a macro. I'd completely forgotten about the "you found a concentration, do you want to get with that?" thing. Will this old one of Z's work?

/sample;
/pause 12;
/ui action defaultButton;
/pause 1;
/ui action petToolbarSlot3;
/macro my_sample;

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:19 pm

The pause between samples in the EMU is 25 seconds, so change the /pause 12 to /pause 25. There is no need for the ui action defaultButton, Calling a new sample forces your char to ignore the "deep sample" pop up and go back to sampling. The pet thing wont work at all, since we dont have pets. Even then, the pet thing was to keep your char from moving. In the EMU your char will not move while sampling. If you stand, sit, stand, while sampling, you do move, but not just sampling.

SOE was trying to prevent AFK sampling and we had to devise ways to get around it. The EMU accepts AFK sampling and actually has coded things to make it easier.

My sample macro is this

/sample;
/pause 25;
/macro sample;

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks. You mentioned you have a couple of combat toons. Which direction did you go with them? Any thoughts on Smuggler?

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter

Post by wrackspurt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Have you noticed any oddities with the sampling macro? Twice I've woken up in the morning to find my toon some distance away from where I left him sampling, standing (and one time out of action points). I saw a guy this morning that I thought was AFK sampling, and his toon was sampling, standing up, moving a foot, sitting down, sampling, etc. and I wonder if my guy has been doing the same thing.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:26 am

Did I forget to mention the part about getting a stat migration for your stamina? It needs to be 500 or better to sample without standing, moving or using up your action.

Image Designers do stat migrations. I have one if you cant find someone else.

I tried Smuggler. The extra cash for missions was kind of nice, but hard to pull off all the time. The only missions you slice are on the opening screen. If you refresh you go to regular mission pay. The highest paying missions did not always make the first screen and, of course, you never got two in the same direction. So I dropped smuggler to be able to refresh, get the missions I want and the direction I want. I think I end up making more that way.