RE formula

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on Reverse Engineering.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

mysterymantis
Novice Crafter

RE formula

Post by mysterymantis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:36 am

In a thread I made on here a while back someone posted a formula for the ground RE:

PUP = Power_Bit * 2 / Modifier_Ratio * RE_Chance / 100 * X

Just needing to know where this comes from? Is this confirmed by the devs? Or just basically the accepted code that people assume is correct?

mysterymantis
Novice Crafter

Re: RE formula

Post by mysterymantis » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:15 am

No one?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:21 pm

First off, sorry for not being around for a week ... or more, I just haven't had the energy for it, and whatever the reason is for that is not public ;)

On to the question:

The formula is from the guide Reverse Engineering 101.

Simply put, there ain't no formula in any forum of SWG that is confirmed by the Devs, no nothing. I am sorry but is simple as that. That covers as well crafting as combat and everything between the deepest mining equipment to the fastest Space vehicle.

Does this leaves us totally clueless?

Nope, so far none of the math in SWG has displayed much of a challenge ... even if we sometimes pull forth our biggest question marks on some decisions of the Devs 8)

In this case, run a thousand tests with different setups and then pull the numbers through the head of a statistician, out comes the most amazing stuff. Utterly boring to look at and the discussion is an absolute sleeping pill.

The word "assume" is not correct in this context; results of empirical research better conveys the situation. This is something the SWG community always has been good at, to come up with a hypothesis, gather data, prove it right or wrong, post a statement along with the backing data, others verify or cancel: eventually you have something that is not confirmed by the Devs but neither is it a mere assumption.

If you have evidence that the formula is wrong, please, go ahead. But remember to post the data you have and not just a gut-feeling. To often people have aired gut-feelings, only to find themselves wrong when others post hard facts.

The above does not mean that the formula is correct, I really do mean it, post your research. Several things may speak in your favor: the data we had at the time were incorrect, or we interpreted it badly, or a tiny detail is now changed (or several) and we have not been observant enough. These things happen, the Devs change something because they feel there is some kind of imbalance ... sometimes a change unintentionally affects whatever they never anticipated. In the latter case, sometimes they revert or fix, other times they ignore it because it is negligible ... to them ... but they won't tell us.

All the guides and compilations I post, along the lines of "corrections and updates are warmly welcomed", this guide that you quoted from is no exception :)

Cheers
Zimoon

mysterymantis
Novice Crafter

Post by mysterymantis » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:04 am

It's cool that you took a week off. I do it quite often. Well, from SWG, not everything. And your reason are your own and that's cool too.

I don't really have any research, I was just wanting to know if there was anything official about the code. I thought I remembered someone saying that in the thread I had previously, but when I re-read it this was not so. I guess I was just assuming that it was the formula...

In any case, it's not really important now. I just wanted to use it to dispel someone's superstitious claim on the sony boards, but it's a little late now. It's no big deal though, since superstitious players will continue to do the things that they think matter in some way, no matter how ridiculous it is. I just hate when these players get into a thread that is asking for info, and start filling peoples head with crap they haven't proven, have no way to prove, and it just gets in the way of people that are trying to look up their own info. When I was first looking into RE, it took almost a week to filter the crap info from the real info, mostly because somehow I completely missed the RE board on this website. Haha, oh well...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 am

Yesterday I run into a guy that had different ideas about what governs creating PUPs and he confused me with "you're reading old docs" ... if there is anything new around that I have missed I am determined to dig that up ... and Yoda knows I easily miss things when looking another direction. It is like cooking milk, turn your back at it and it is instant boil ... over 8)

Zimoon