SWGAide Looking in Old Directory

Moderator: Forum Moderator

pneuvo
Novice Crafter

SWGAide Looking in Old Directory

Post by pneuvo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 pm

when I moved to a new computer, I copied much from the old one, but when I re-installed SWG in went in the ProgramData\Sony Online Entertainment\ subdirectory. SWGAide seems to be looking at the old location for mail, RES and REM files. How do I tell it the proper place to look?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide Looking in Old Directory

Post by Zimoon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:21 am

First off, welcome around and congrats top your first post :D

Second, I moved your post the SWGAide forum, to keep these topics collected.

Third, I have not yet made it possible to "move" SWGAide between computers, but it is in the pipeline. So, this is how to do it and you won't loose too much information.
  • At the old computer
    • Make a backup copy of the SWGAide.DAT file
    • Launch SWGAide
    • For each different galaxy -- if more than one
      • At Guards >> right-click >> Save Guards .. take notes of where the file went
      • At Inventory with no filters applied >> right-click the table >> Export...
      • At Harvesting >> right-click wherever >> Export .. take notes of where the file went
  • At the new computer
    • Copy the files from the old computer to anywhere at the new computer, in SWGAide\temp for example
    • Delete the file SWGAide.DAT
    • In the backup folder, delete any SWGAide_DAT.* file
    • Launch SWGAide ... this initiates a "reinstall"
    • For each different galaxy
      • At Guards >> right-click >> Import Guards
      • At Inventory >> right-click >> Import from file...
      • At Harvesting >> righ-click >> Import file...
If you also want to transfer all old mails from the old computer to the new, copy all of the SWGAide\mails folder to the folder for SWGAide at the new computer. Or just the characters you want. Just have a look at how the folders look like at the old computer and make a lookalike. This is the way to transfer Trade information and statistics.

The problem in SWGAide is that parts of the data in the SWGAide.DAT use complete file paths, that is all mails, notes files. macros, etc. This is not that an fix and even if it was silly-changed to paths relative SWG that would cause other problems, like stuff that exist at one computer but not at the other. And what about Trade mails that exist at one but not at the other? Etc, etc... Some parts are simple but not other parts.

If the above does not work for you, give me a shout.

Zimoon

pneuvo
Novice Crafter

Post by pneuvo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks, that worked just fine. Been appreciating SWGAide for about a year and a half, about time I said so. Thanks.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks, doubly thanks :)