Acquisition of Milk

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Chef Expertise.

Moderators: Onyx, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Iaca
Novice Crafter

Acquisition of Milk

Post by Iaca » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Hello everyone :D

I'm a 5+yr veteran of this game. Done pretty much every profession...both new and old. However, more than anything else, I love crafting. The only crafting profession that I found to be a pain in the @## was armorsmith. And from my perspective when I did that profession (we were only allowed one toon per server back in those days) getting your hands on good quality hides/bone was too tough. Of course, I did find the occasional Ranger who would round me up some materials. Sorry, didn't mean to ramble.

Milk. Does a body good and all that jazz. It also does your Deneelian Fizz Pudding good too. I used to enjoy playing a Ranger...getting those creature resources was always a lot of fun. And although Ranger is gone, I decided to try my hand at the Domestic Profession-Chef mostly. Getting hides/meat/bone is pretty easy: a +120 harvester droid, a combat toon, and some decent vegash (at least +30) and you're gonna have 100-200k of whatever you're hunting in no time. But milk...ahhh milk...another story.

The reason I'm posting this is because although I've played this game for a long time, it was the one area I had no clue how to do well. Milking is easy. Finding the right critters that give you the milk you're looking for can be a horrible gaming experience.

For instance: you find out there's a spawn of 900+OQ and 699 PE wild milk on Endor. That's good stuff! I want a whole bunch to make my pudding! But...how? After a little internet research (and some trial and error...not every piece of information you find is accurate), I decided to try finding some Bolle Bol's and Swirl Prongs. Thankfully, you can get missions for them at the mission terminals. But after some more trial and error, I decided to go straight for Swirl Prong Lairs. Ok, so I travel to the lair. What now, you ask? Why, you milk the 2-3 critters outside the lair. Ok, that's done. So I kill those critters and tap the lair. Only now, the new critters move around a lot and milking is an experience that ranks up there with removing bullets from my tushie.

So...the purpose of my post. A simple, yet effective means by which to milk those critters and get large quantites in a short period of time.

Method: (I'll keep using Endor as my example)
  • Get 2 swirl prong missions (NOT the impalers...cannot milk them)
  • Go to mission WP 1 and milk the 2-3 critters outside the lair (they're easy...THEY DO NOT MOVE)...search the lair if you are looking for eggs...
  • after milking and searching, ABORT the mission, and set a waypoint at that spot.
  • Go to mission WP 2 and repeat that process.
  • After that, continue getting those missions, milking, aborting and setting your own waypoints...do this until you have 12-14 waypoints active
  • Those lairs will remain active for a few days (I could be wrong on this, but in my experience, the servers tend to reset aborted and static lairs on Thursdays)
  • Now, the best part: You can milk all those critters on average every 2 hours. I've tried this and tested it myself (I wondered how long until they regenerate their milk) Using this process, I managed to get my hands on 20k milk in about 6 hours...each time I logged on, it took me about 20-30 minutes to travel to all the wp's and milk all the critters.
After being a chef for the last several months, I found out early on that the pudding is one of the best selling items that chef's can sell. everyone needs luck :D Getting your hands on good OQ and DR leather and bone isn't too tough...but the milk was the hardest for me. And once I discovered this process, I decided that finally I would have something to contribute to the crafting community. I hope some of you find this post useful and informative. Feel free to post any comments or questions...I'll answer questions as quickly as I can.

Nimos
Master Chef
Starsider
Last edited by Zimoon on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added formatting

exhibit69
Novice Crafter

Re: Acquisition of Milk

Post by exhibit69 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:01 am

Very well explained, and well played good sir. FYI, a similar method can be used for a number of other activities, including egg hunting, regular harvesting, and roleplay style activities.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am

Great tips, thanks a lot.

And good you posted it here as we have milking as one of the top 5 bugs/annoyances that Senator Onyx drives ;) Hopefully the Devs won't find their way here and see that it is possible to actually get more than a few drips out of those critters :P

/Zimoon

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Sat May 24, 2008 1:52 am

Thanks for the advise, I used the method of bouncing back and forth between two lairs, but didn't think to abandon the mission and make more lairs.

BTW, Domestic milk can have higher PE and OQ for better Fizz, the problem is it can be hard to find... unless you go for lesser plains bols on Dant. I picked up 20-30K of 900+ PE 800 OQ milk a few weeks ago :)
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

dmac1024
Novice Crafter

Post by dmac1024 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:43 am

Also, one other thing you can try (haven't tested it myself yet). When you are getting the mission, before you accept it, get as many people/droids together and then /group. What I hear is that when you accept the mission, it plans a number of critters based on the /group accepting the mission. Post the result if it increases the count of critters spawning at the lair. Cheers :D

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Feralmonkey wrote:Thanks for the advise, I used the method of bouncing back and forth between two lairs, but didn't think to abandon the mission and make more lairs.

BTW, Domestic milk can have higher PE and OQ for better Fizz, the problem is it can be hard to find... unless you go for lesser plains bols on Dant. I picked up 20-30K of 900+ PE 800 OQ milk a few weeks ago :)
Yes, that has always been the case. The larger the group of players, the larger the spawn of the mission lairs. I believe you need to still be grouped when the lair itself actually spawns (which it doesn't do until a group member is close to the waypoint) in order for the lair to spawn the full number of creatures, though.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

zymmur
Novice Crafter

Post by zymmur » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:58 pm

I cannot remember if they ever fixed this but I would think that they did. I used to farm faction from missions by influencing a respawn. I would take a mission for two lairs. I would farm lair A then B. Then I would return to A and it would respawn without tapping the lair. This lasted a few times, maybe 3? I very vaguely remember that they might have fixed this but I honestly cannot recall. If it still works you could increase the yield on the above mentioned system a bit.

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:09 am

zymmur wrote:I cannot remember if they ever fixed this but I would think that they did. I used to farm faction from missions by influencing a respawn. I would take a mission for two lairs. I would farm lair A then B. Then I would return to A and it would respawn without tapping the lair. This lasted a few times, maybe 3? I very vaguely remember that they might have fixed this but I honestly cannot recall. If it still works you could increase the yield on the above mentioned system a bit.
It still works! I wasn't aware it was considered broken, or in need of a fix! You can also still drop the missions but force them to keep spawning by going back into the area, thereby loading up an area with quite a number of spawns. And it lasts more than three rounds... it'll last as long as you care to keep going back. The ones you drop do reset (usually) with server reboots, and sometimes the lair will change its initial spawn (for eg, sometimes you'll have a lair with a domesticated critter up on the initial spawn every time, and the next day it won't spawn domesticateds at all.) For farming meat/hide/hide, you can take the lair down to almost kaboom, then leave and come back to a fresh lair and round of mobs.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Aucob
Novice Crafter

Post by Aucob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Have you guys been able to get missions for animals that have domestic milk? I'm level 90, I find it difficult to find those types of missions. I'll try again tonight since there's a really nice spawn of Nabooian Domesticated Milk on Starsider now.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Just read an update to another Milk-thread, it is possible to get from Gungan Falumpasets, however, they do only spawn wild together with Gungans and then only one. Creature Resources Guide is updated accordingly.

/Zimoon

Aucob
Novice Crafter

Post by Aucob » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Zimoon wrote:Just read an update to another Milk-thread, it is possible to get from Gungan Falumpasets, however, they do only spawn wild together with Gungans and then only one. Creature Resources Guide is updated accordingly.

/Zimoon
Thanks, Zimoon. I figured this stuff would be hard to get.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Zimoon wrote:Just read an update to another Milk-thread, it is possible to get from Gungan Falumpasets, however, they do only spawn wild together with Gungans and then only one. Creature Resources Guide is updated accordingly.

/Zimoon
Hmm, where did you see that Z?

I thought we still couldn't get domesticated on Naboo. I was remembering the Gungan Falumpasets as giving wild milk.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Onyx wrote:
/Zimoon
Hmm, where did you see that Z?

I thought we still couldn't get domesticated on Naboo. I was remembering the Gungan Falumpasets as giving wild milk.
http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... 9980#p9980

And with that I would say we still cannot, these one-wild-critters are not in every corner exactly.

/Zimoon

Rain
Novice Crafter

Post by Rain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 pm

Yeah, I've spent a long time trying to find them and no luck.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:06 am

They are there, you just have to find a group of Gungan NPCs, don't remember if they are friendly or hostile. But still, they have only one Falumpaset, these poor beings, so ... :(
/Zimoon