Jenner's SWG Crafting Tool v3.0

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Jenner
Novice Crafter

Jenner's SWG Crafting Tool v3.0

Post by Jenner » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Hello everybody. I'm the guy who wrote all that crazy VBA in the original JnF's Crafting tool. Well, I've recently become enthused about the SWGEMU project and decided to program up a new crafting tool to celebrate their End of Liberator milestone. You can check out the post here: http://site.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33960

I'm planning to use the SWGCraft project as a backend, the same way I did with the original tool. I'd like to add post capability as well so users can post data into the tool and have it post to this site and was wondering what the best way I should go about doing this? I've become a professional programmer since my work in that Excel monster so many years ago and will be makin this new tool complete in .NET 4 so I have plenty of options available to me.

Please PM me or just post here, I'll certainly check back often!

-Jenner Cobrari
-Former weaponsmith and resource-monger of Tempest server.

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Jenner's SWG Crafting Tool v3.0

Post by Sobuno » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi Jenner,

Before you get to deep into programming a new tool, consider taking a look at SWGAide. It was maintained by Zimoon untill last year's announcement of the closure of the official servers. Since then, I have made a single change to it, that being a more dynamic way of handling servers in order to support unofficial servers.

The program was written in Java and the source code is available on SourceForge. Go to https://sites.google.com/site/simongronlund/swgaide to read more about it, that page also contains a link to the SourceForge project. The only changes that aren't on there is the dynamic way of handling servers, but I could probably send you a patch file for that if you want to maintain this project.

If that is not your cup of tea, I'll tell you a bit about posting data to SWGCraft. We decided to use SOAP as that was what Trokk was experimenting with on the original site. Go to http://swgcraft.org/dev/soap/server.php to see the list of available functions and feel free to ask me for more information/clarification of the functions available.

Data export is available in the same format as the original site, see the Data Export link on the left side of the site for more information. The unofficial servers aren't listed there, but they follow the same format; spaces are replaced by underscore... And that's it I guess.

Jenner
Novice Crafter

Post by Jenner » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for the link, already got some test results! SOAP is one of the easiest things to work with in .NET. Took me all of 4 lines of code and adding the WSDL link as a project reference to return information on a specific resource from Liberator. I'll try adding and despawning some TC Nova resources later but it looks easy enough.

Naw, I don't do Java. Definitely not my cup of tea. It's probably the most backwards language I've ever worked with besides LISP. Thanks for the help! :D

missee
Novice Crafter

Post by missee » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:05 am

I'd love to have an updated version of your tool. I used it extensively during the original SWG and am really missing it right now. I've not look around alot, but I don't see a place to download anything yet. Hopefully you are still working on this.

Missee

injyri
Novice Crafter

Post by injyri » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 pm

So, it's about 4 months since your original post, just wondering if you are still proceeding with this project? If so, I might be interested in participating. I am a CS student and this would be a fun side project to help out with.

espenhain
Novice Crafter

Post by espenhain » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Can we still download Jenner's SWG Crafting Tool v3.0??

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:14 am

espenhain wrote:Can we still download Jenner's SWG Crafting Tool v3.0??
It's never been posted for download. Although many of us would love to see it finished:)
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator