Monkey Business

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Weaponsmith Expertise.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

mobiusbang
Novice Crafter

Monkey Business

Post by mobiusbang » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:38 pm

I am fairly new to Munition crafting and want to better my skills with weapon cores. I was planning on attempting to complete the Monkey collection and gaining the +2 to experimentation. Unfortunately I noticed while fully buffed I sit at 137weapon experimentation. If the monkey adds another 2 points it only brings the experimentation to 139. Without the 1 more point to get 140 I don't see any reason to waist my time grinding the collection. Am I missing something or is that collection another worthless idea SOE created?

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Monkey Business

Post by Zbignew » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Firstly, welcome to SWGCraft, new crafters are always welcome. Sounds like the Monkey may not help you. I'm not a weaponsmith but I think they are capped at 13 points of experimentation, check out this older post. If I'm wrong, one of the Munition Traders will be along to correct me. have fun.

http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =12&t=1954

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

mobiusbang
Novice Crafter

Post by mobiusbang » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Zbignew wrote:Firstly, welcome to SWGCraft, new crafters are always welcome. Sounds like the Monkey may not help you. I'm not a weaponsmith but I think they are capped at 13 points of experimentation, check out this older post. If I'm wrong, one of the Munition Traders will be along to correct me. have fun.

http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopi ... =12&t=1954

Zbig
Thanks for the quick reply! I've read that post before but never noted the capped 13. I was hoping that the 140 would be me either 14 or increase my chances for amazing. Now that I know its not my suit or resources it must be either the luck or assembly...

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:17 pm

I was surprised that Zbignew's link went to that particular thread. I thought it would go to this thread

http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1881

since I think it is more applicable.

I wouldnt say that Munitions are "capped" at 13 Experimentation Points. Architects and Chefs can get 14 Experimentation Points, because their Helper Monkey gives +6 (or they can use a Diner). If Munitions had something similar, that allowed them to get to 140+ skill, they would have 14 points too, but they dont. :(

The +2 points from the Helper Monkey would help you get more "amazings". However, it is only +2. I'm not sure how much difference you are really going to see between 137 skill and 139 skill. :roll:

Zbignew
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Zbignew » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:21 am

Savacc wrote:I was surprised that Zbignew's link went to that particular thread. I thought it would go to this thread
When one is peeking at work, discretion is advised :wink: , grabbed the first applicable post I found and then back to my duties. I'm actually surprised the devs have let this disparity go on as long as they have.

Zbig
Proji--------------------------Syotr
Wannabe Droid Engineer-- Wannabe Ranger

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:53 am

Zbignew wrote: I'm actually surprised the devs have let this disparity go on as long as they have.
If you mean that Archies and Chefs get 14 points and no one else does, then it is because that was a serious mistake. :shock: We were assured that the card game was not going to have any affect on game mechanics, nothing that was "game breaking". It was all supposed to be flash and sizzle, but no bang. Somehow the Diner made it into the game. Whether the people responsible for saying, "No, this is a bad idea," were asleep that day, too cowardly to speak up, or no one listened to them, we dont know. Players soon let the pinheads at LA/SOE know of the error. Possession of a Diner gave the owner an unfair advantage over those without. It was an "I win" button. Exactly the type of thing we were told would not happen with the card game. :(
SOEs options were limited. They could nerf the Diner. Except the damage was already done. They could give everyone, and all professions, a Diner. Except that would lead to all sorts of unintended consequences. Or they could try to minimize the damages. The consequences so far, were not horrible, just bad. Architects have no affect on combat, and what chefs could do with that extra point did not become an "I win" button in PvP. It was decided to make an alternative, in game option for the Diner. The Helper Monkeys for Architect and Chef were increased to +6 (the same bonus as the Diner). And they would live and learn from their mistake. :wink:
The community, in general, responded well to the problem. Those crafters who got the early Diners opened them up and invited everyone to use them so no one had the unfair advantage they could have had. :D
It has been almost two years now since the introduction of Diners. I dont expect we will ever see similar buildings for other professions. It is a mistake they are not going to make again, hopefully. :roll:

mobiusbang
Novice Crafter

Post by mobiusbang » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:10 am

Savacc wrote:
Zbignew wrote: I'm actually surprised the devs have let this disparity go on as long as they have.
If you mean that Archies and Chefs get 14 points and no one else does, then it is because that was a serious mistake. :shock: We were assured that the card game was not going to have any affect on game mechanics, nothing that was "game breaking". It was all supposed to be flash and sizzle, but no bang. Somehow the Diner made it into the game. Whether the people responsible for saying, "No, this is a bad idea," were asleep that day, too cowardly to speak up, or no one listened to them, we dont know. Players soon let the pinheads at LA/SOE know of the error. Possession of a Diner gave the owner an unfair advantage over those without. It was an "I win" button. Exactly the type of thing we were told would not happen with the card game. :(
SOEs options were limited. They could nerf the Diner. Except the damage was already done. They could give everyone, and all professions, a Diner. Except that would lead to all sorts of unintended consequences. Or they could try to minimize the damages. The consequences so far, were not horrible, just bad. Architects have no affect on combat, and what chefs could do with that extra point did not become an "I win" button in PvP. It was decided to make an alternative, in game option for the Diner. The Helper Monkeys for Architect and Chef were increased to +6 (the same bonus as the Diner). And they would live and learn from their mistake. :wink:
The community, in general, responded well to the problem. Those crafters who got the early Diners opened them up and invited everyone to use them so no one had the unfair advantage they could have had. :D
It has been almost two years now since the introduction of Diners. I dont expect we will ever see similar buildings for other professions. It is a mistake they are not going to make again, hopefully. :roll:
I for one don't mind Chef's getting the Diner or anything else they need to improve their product. The better drinks and foods they produce (bespin port) the better Items I can potentially make (Weapons/Armor) There is still a cap on Cores, it just allows me to make more capped than non-capped.