Got some problems

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Algeroth
Novice Crafter

Got some problems

Post by Algeroth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Was gonna try the program today but when I tried to start the program this came up:

I'm using Win7, I put it on admin mode, downloaded the latest java version and franly I have no idea how to solve this :(

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Got some problems

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:14 pm

The readme file that is in the ZIP, did you try the suggestions in the section titled "Launching problems"?

There is something odd about the screen-shot though, so I must ask a few questions ... some sound silly but bear with me 8)
  • Have you created a folder for SWGAide, for example inside the SWG folder?
  • Did you drag the JAR file out of the ZIP archive into the new folder?
  • Did you create a shortcut for the JAR file at your desktop? (optional)
  • Did you double click the icon for SWGAide in the new folder? Or the optional shortcut at desktop?
  • Or did you rather launch SWGAide from a Command Terminal?
/Zimoon

Algeroth
Novice Crafter

Post by Algeroth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Zimoon wrote:The readme file that is in the ZIP, did you try the suggestions in the section titled "Launching problems"?

There is something odd about the screen-shot though, so I must ask a few questions ... some sound silly but bear with me 8)
  • Have you created a folder for SWGAide, for example inside the SWG folder? Yes, named it SWGAide and placed it in StarWarsGalaxies folder
  • Did you drag the JAR file out of the ZIP archive into the new folder? Yes, the only thing in the new folder is the *.jar file
  • Did you create a shortcut for the JAR file at your desktop? (optional) Yes
  • Did you double click the icon for SWGAide in the new folder? Or the optional shortcut at desktop? Both, got the same message
  • Or did you rather launch SWGAide from a Command Terminal? Just tried this, got the same message
/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm

1) When you double click, what is it that displays the message then?
Usually when you double click an icon and something screws up Windows has no place to display errors, only if the application has advanced that far that it can do that itself, such as SWGAide usually does.

2) Could it be so that
... a) you have created yet another archive? With SWGAide within it?
Remember that in Windows folders and archives (ZIP folders) look almost the same, an easy mistake. In this case, create a standard folder and again drag SWGAide from the ZIP file you downloaded to the folder.

... b) you somehow "step into" the JAR file and try to launch SWGAide from within?
I am a bit puzzled here, over the last years two or three users managed to do this, don't ask me how. Remember that a JAR file is just a ZIP archive with a few extra widgets to it, many archive applications and Windows itself have no problem "opening the archive" when in this case you rather want to launch it.

Did you try the steps in the readme file?
Do you have any other JAR file you can try?
What is the result if you try this http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutor ... nDemo.jnlp

Zimoon

Algeroth
Novice Crafter

Post by Algeroth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Zimoon wrote:1) When you double click, what is it that displays the message then?
Usually when you double click an icon and something screws up Windows has no place to display errors, only if the application has advanced that far that it can do that itself, such as SWGAide usually does. I got the error message from dos, it only display a split of a second so had to be real quick with the Pri Scr button :P

2) Could it be so that
... a) you have created yet another archive? With SWGAide within it?
Remember that in Windows folders and archives (ZIP folders) look almost the same, an easy mistake. In this case, create a standard folder and again drag SWGAide from the ZIP file you downloaded to the folder. Heh I'm not that much of a noob, it's a standard folder that it's in and I have the *.jar file in it.

... b) you somehow "step into" the JAR file and try to launch SWGAide from within?
I am a bit puzzled here, over the last years two or three users managed to do this, don't ask me how. Remember that a JAR file is just a ZIP archive with a few extra widgets to it, many archive applications and Windows itself have no problem "opening the archive" when in this case you rather want to launch it. Yea at first it wanted to open with 7-zip so I had "open as" and use java. I didn't have java installed so I installed it after I did all that.

Did you try the steps in the readme file?
Do you have any other JAR file you can try?
What is the result if you try this http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutor ... nDemo.jnlp Don't really know what this is suppose to do, it starts up fine and all but I donno what it's doing :P

Zimoon
I tried that java -jar SWGAide.jar thing and it didn't do anything so it seems like the *.jar program isn't executable

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Hmmm, I just downloaded the ZIP file, moved the JAR file to an empty folder and run it without problems, that plus considering that not insignificant number of users make me believe there is either something wrong at your end :)

I did not intend to imply you are a noob, that was why I wrote "... some sound silly but bear with me" on the earlier post. On the other hand, you did not really provide much information to begin with ... so what can I do but ask, also the silly stuff, right? Working with complex support IRL you should see some mistakes even then best of the best may do 8)

Now, at a command prompt, please copy and paste the output from the following

a) java -version

b java -jar Text.jar

The second is a Test program I attach to this post.

If a) fails the installation somehow did not complete. That in itself can have many causes whereof Windows security stuff is just one suspect, firewall/anti-virus is another, user error a third, and so forth. But this is not as likely because the first error message displays an error from Java.

The second option should work if Java is properly installed, it use nothing except what comes with a plain Java installation. Should c) fail then I can just suggest uninstall + reinstall of the JRE -- you do not need JDK or such, that is for developers.

However, it can be that the JAR file has been corrupt while downloading, while un-zipping it, or during some other moving around...these things happen. Try download again and use the JAR file from the fresh download. Keep an eye out for antivirus and all that kind of stuff.

I will stalk you here until we've resolved this :D

Zimoon
Attachments
Test.zip
Contains a plain JAR file that prints some system info when launched from a Command Terminal
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

Algeroth
Novice Crafter

Post by Algeroth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Oh I'm sure there's something wrong on my end :P

So just to be clear here with what *.exe should I open the *.jar file with? is it "java" "javaw" "javaws"?

When I open with java.exe I get the error message I posted in my first post.

When I open with javaw.exe I get a message that says "Could not find the main class: C:\Test.jar. Program will exit"

Såg precis att du bor i Sthlm förresten :P

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Jajamänsan, Stockholm Hornstull för att vara exakt.:)

But let's stick to English so we do not exhaust Babbelfish or whatever the guys around here are using 8)

I begin to think there is a piece missing in your installation, I just wonder where it must be set.

In a Command Terminal, always use java, nothing else. That way you get the errors printed at the command terminal. javaw is javawINDOW mode, perhaps it displays an error dialog, perhaps not. javaws is, if I have not drunken too much tea, the web-start application you run at an earlier point. All of these boil down to java, just after some initiation.

Now, in a command terminal, execute
set CLASSPATH

Does that emit any output at all? without any argument set just displays the content of the specified environment variable.

If not, you may then try with
set CLASSPATH .
Yes, nothing but a dot.

If it did, I would copy all it emitted and prepend a dot and a semi colon, such as
set CLASSPATH=.;C:\whatever\was\output;D:\and\more

Now try to launch SWGAide by java -jar SWGAide.jar. Does that help?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:27 pm

Googling around a bit I realize that CLASSPATH does not do the trick, at least it is not supposed to.

It is most probably an issue with Windows security settings. Verify that you have given admin rights both to java and javaw (the latter for double click support). You probably need to select the SWG folder and set the properties to read/write, and SWGAide.JAR file itself to execution rights. The latter depends a lot on exactly which admin rights you have when you use Windows, there are many shades of black also in hell 8)

You could try to move the SWGAide folder to within your user space, but then you may end up with some file permission errors for SWG mails and other files within the SWG folder. Gee what I begin to hate all of this UAC thing :(

Zimoon

Algeroth
Novice Crafter

Post by Algeroth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Well it's safe to say that it's something wrong with this version of win7.

I just tried it on my laptop with an older version of win7 and it worked perfectly so the problem is with my stationary computer. It might be that I "aquired" a different version of win 7 where some people thought they would make it more like linux.

Guess I have to reinstall windows tomorrow :P

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:06 am

Zimoon wrote:Jajamänsan, Stockholm Hornstull för att vara exakt.:)

But let's stick to English so we do not exhaust Babbelfish or whatever the guys around here are using 8)
Babbelfish, we don't need Babbelfish we already have a translator...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Jajamänsan, Stockholm Hornstull för att vara exakt.:)

Babbelfish, we don't need Babbelfish we already have a translator...
:lol:
Have you heard the true story behind the Swedish Cook of The Muppet Show? Kind of amusing I think.

A, did a reinstall of Windows solve the original problem?

Xui
Novice Crafter

Post by Xui » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi guys,

I was having a similar error to that above. (Found this thread when trying to resolve the problem)
If i tried running using javaw.exe it gave me a an unable to locate main class error. If i tried running with java a cmd falshed up and dissappeared.
I followed all the above steps, uninstalled, reinstalled, tried 32 bit , 64 bit , both and yesterday i gave up.

Today i decided it wasnt going to beat me and i was going to get the thing running.
So i extracted, using winrar, all the files/folders from within the swgaide.jar file to have a look inside it.
I noticed an swgaide.bat file,within the swg dir, and ran that from a cmd prompt to see what message i got. It must have been the error that was flashing up when running using java.exe yesterday, which was telling me it couldnt locate the swgaide.jar.
So i moved the .jar file into the same dir as the .bat file and tried again and now all is working ok.

To comfirm SWGAide is now running on my PC after doing the above. I dont know if thats any help at all. But maybe other users with the same issue can use this temp workaround to get it running.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I will review and see if there is anything I can improve somehow.

A note though, you seldom need to use the BAT file, but some users have had to to request a higher limit for virtual memory. I am not sure but perhaps this problem is obsolete by now, today computers have more memory and SWGAide handles thousands of game mails more efficiently.

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:50 am

Zimoon wrote:Hmmm, I just downloaded the ZIP file, moved the JAR file to an empty folder and run it without problems, that plus considering that not insignificant number of users make me believe there is either something wrong at your end :)

I did not intend to imply you are a noob, that was why I wrote "... some sound silly but bear with me" on the earlier post. On the other hand, you did not really provide much information to begin with ... so what can I do but ask, also the silly stuff, right? Working with complex support IRL you should see some mistakes even then best of the best may do 8)

Now, at a command prompt, please copy and paste the output from the following

a) java -version

b java -jar Text.jar

The second is a Test program I attach to this post.

If a) fails the installation somehow did not complete. That in itself can have many causes whereof Windows security stuff is just one suspect, firewall/anti-virus is another, user error a third, and so forth. But this is not as likely because the first error message displays an error from Java.

The second option should work if Java is properly installed, it use nothing except what comes with a plain Java installation. Should c) fail then I can just suggest uninstall + reinstall of the JRE -- you do not need JDK or such, that is for developers.

However, it can be that the JAR file has been corrupt while downloading, while un-zipping it, or during some other moving around...these things happen. Try download again and use the JAR file from the fresh download. Keep an eye out for antivirus and all that kind of stuff.

I will stalk you here until we've resolved this :D

Zimoon
Let me chime in with some questions/thoughts that may shed some light ..when I type java -version at a command window, I get the .."'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

The only way I can get the command "java -version" to work is to drill down to the ..C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin> folder

Does the system path need to include the java folder? it is not in my path?

SwgAide works fine on my Win7 pro(64) computer ..tho I did have some trouble after letting java auto update a while back ..I resorted to an older version of java

I am not running any "protection" other than what is included in win7 ..it is auto-updated tho, if that makes any diff
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game