SWGAide is a Godsend!!!

Moderator: Forum Moderator

drkknight33
Novice Crafter

SWGAide is a Godsend!!!

Post by drkknight33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:09 am

Hello all,

Just wanted to post my appreciation for this amazing tool. I spent over a year updating this site manually and while i did get pretty good at it it was still time consuming. I had tried teaching myself to use SWGAide before but i didn't have alot of patience gave up very quickly. Last week i respecced one of my entertainers to armorsmith and started dreading keeping track of hide spawns (i have two other crafters...a DE and SW so i never had to worry about creature resources). So i downloaded SWGAide once again and after a couple of hours of cussing i finally got it all situated and running correctly.

I don't know how i ever lived without it. Just wanted to give a big Thank You!!!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: SWGAide is a Godsend!!!

Post by Zimoon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:42 am

Thanks a lot for the feedback and praise.

Reading this: "after a couple of hours of cussing i finally got it all situated and running correctly"
May I ask, and I sure am sincere, what and how can I improve so it is easier to get started?

I am uttermost inclined to having SWGAide as user friendly as possible. Users are seldom wrong, if there is an obstacle it should be ironed out, if there is a question-mark it should either be removed or straightened out to become an exclamation-mark.

I would really appreciate if you took the time and wrote a post on what the hurdles and obstacles were. Ahem, I guess it would be your fellow players that would appreciate it the most :lol: And even if I would get some more to work with I am happy to.

Thanks in advance
/Zimoon

drkknight33
Novice Crafter

Post by drkknight33 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:33 am

In this case the problem was not with the program, but with the user. My problem was just my lack of understanding of how the program worked. I had updated resources manually for so long i had pigeon-holed myself into thinking that way and had to work to make myself see how the program actually worked. Once i got over my own short-comings and started to understand the process it all fell into place and i am a much happier crafter for it.

I have only used the the functions of the program for tracking resource spawns so far, but am looking forward to seeing what else it has to offer.

Again, thank you for all your time invested in this masterpiece.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:14 pm

You are welcome, and I always welcome feedback and suggestions on improvements.
Remember the F1 button as soon as you have a question, it opens up the help screen for the current view, and I hope the text is understandable ;)

passionfly1
Apprentice Crafter

Post by passionfly1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm

SWGAide is what makes playing a Trader so enjoyable. If it did not exist I would respec out of Trader or probably quit lol

I love SWGAide so much =) *hug*

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:12 pm

passionfly1 wrote:SWGAide is what makes playing a Trader so enjoyable. If it did not exist I would respec out of Trader or probably quit lol

I love SWGAide so much =) *hug*
Hug accepted, are we friends now? :lol:

/Zimoon

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:32 pm

I have a confession to make...

I downloaded SWGAide once before I had to completely redo my computer, but never fully got to understand it. Like drkknight I've gotten so used to doing everything the hard way that it's difficult to try new things. The amount of links and guides that have been created for it makes my head spin, what is the most simple guide that will explain the basics of how to effectively use this tool?
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 pm

redwhitenblue wrote:I have a confession to make...

I downloaded SWGAide once before I had to completely redo my computer, but never fully got to understand it. Like drkknight I've gotten so used to doing everything the hard way that it's difficult to try new things. The amount of links and guides that have been created for it makes my head spin, what is the most simple guide that will explain the basics of how to effectively use this tool?
If you have never used it before, just follow the instructions at its home page, follow link in my signature.

Then, play around with it. It does not destroy anything :)
Just browse around and see what there is.

Perhaps I should say, in a while, if you want to make good use of the resources page, go to menu Options >> SWGCraft... and select your main galaxy and tick the auto-download check-box. While there, fill in the username and password for SWGCraft to enable so you can submit resource data from SWGAide.

I suggest you learn two things right away:
  • Press F1 when you have questions --- read the help text
  • Right-click at whatever and see if there are some useful options
Yes, there is a lot to read in the help texts. If they can be improved, I am all ears :)

Good luck
/Zimoon

Kora'Havion
Novice Crafter

Post by Kora'Havion » Tue May 04, 2010 3:00 pm

First let me say, SWGAide is AWESOME!!!

You have really done a great job with this program, it makes everything soooo easy! I downloaded it just a few days ago, and it has really improved my resource monitoring. Thank you so much for this!!!!

I have spent hours in the program playing with different things in it, just in amazement and awe of how great it is and how many things it can do for me! The actual setup and initial getting started were fairly easy for me. I love that every page has its own F1 if I have questions about stuff. That was a huge help! Most of my time spent in it now are just learning about all of the different features offered.

I do have one question and then one suggestion.

My question is: Is there a way to export data for specific chosen resources into the game on a blank note file? The reason I ask is because usually when I find a few good resources I will send an in game mail to my guildies stating the resource information. Currently I have to type all of the resource information in the body of the mail, but if I could export the information on certain resources I choose .. into the game on a blank note file, then I could just copy and paste it into the mail body. There may already be a way to do this, I just haven't found it yet.

My suggestion is: In the help file on the trade tab, maybe put something in there that you should not delete the vendor mails within SWGAide. Only delete them in game but leave them in SWGAide or it will erase all of your data. I had tons of vendor mails listed within SWGAide .. and thought I'd clean it up a bit. I thought that all of the data was saved within the program and I didnt need the mails anymore. After I deleted all of them it reset all of my data to 0. Not really a problem if you keep the mails which I will now .. but, maybe say something on the help file that you shouldn't delete those mails within the program if you want to save the information. I hope this helps!

Thank you again SOOOOO MUCH for this wonderful program! You really did a fantastic job with this!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks, you made my awful day a joy again :D
  • At Current Resources, the info in the Details window can be selected and copied with Ctrl+C
    That said, good idea. I will add an option to that window plus at the option for a selected resource to have its data written to a notes file, must figure out a name for the file though. Two options "Write to notes (replace)" and "Write to notes (append)" would do, right?
  • The Trade panel is in bad need of an overhaul and I will remember your suggestion. I already have some ideas on how to do it. In fact, I have to consider how to merge all ideas and comments on how SWGAide currently treats mails into one package so I do not know the details, but something will happen.
Thanks for two great suggestions. One will be implemented as soon as possible, the second must wait :D

Greetings

/Zimoon

Kora'Havion
Novice Crafter

Post by Kora'Havion » Tue May 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Fantastic! Yes, those 2 options would work perfectly I think!!!

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Swedishoyster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Swedishoyster » Wed May 05, 2010 11:18 am

Aye if SWGaide is a godsent, and Zimoon sent it to us, that means Zimoon is a god and should be treated as such, I guess the spire in Tanah Osgil is the Tower of the Church of Zimoon? :lol:

Agreed though, SWGaide is the best since sliced bread, keep up the good work.
Sork Inc. Perdition, Dantooine
Hunterella, Architect/Armorsmith - Sorkella, Ranger/Riflewoman
Snufsan, Tailor/Chef/x - Healerella, Doctor
Bimborella, Swordswoman/Medic - Sniperella, Rifle/BE

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Wed May 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Swedishoyster wrote:Aye if SWGaide is a godsent, and Zimoon sent it to us, that means Zimoon is a god and should be treated as such, I guess the spire in Tanah Osgil is the Tower of the Church of Zimoon? :lol:

Agreed though, SWGaide is the best since sliced bread, keep up the good work.
I still pefer sliced bread :P

Edra
Novice Crafter

Post by Edra » Wed May 05, 2010 6:58 pm

I use SWGAide on a daily basis, along with other utilities, to update swgcraft. I really do appreciate the work you do. Thank you for all the hard work you've put into SWGAide, and this community.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I am honored, happy, and humbled. And happy :D

And if anyone want a spot in the light and have some Java skills, translating (if there is a need), editing the help pages, or simply continue to submit data to SWGCraft of whatever kind and style, ... the door is open and the light is on!

Your friend

Zimoon