83%
Other -- post a message
No votes

Total votes: 6

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Question on GUI for schematics

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Before I write a single line of code I would like to know what the preferences are. There is no simple way to provide both ways.

The first window will more or less be a very plain "display" for all known schematics, all of them. So, how to filter these more than 1700 schematics. Yes, the number is correct :mrgreen:

One way is to topmost have a line of drop-down lists to select from:
Profession | Level (check-box) | Category
Filtered schematics listed below, quite similar to how SWGCraft displays them
The check-box is for toggling between all-up-to-level // just-this-level.

Another way is to have a "tree" very much like the resource class tree (or a file browser). Plus one drop-down list filter for up-to-level.
The tree would be like

Code: Select all

All
Profession
    Category
        Category
            Category
                Schematic
Most schematics does not have this many categories, but several components do. This way it is possible to drill down if one want to, or just select profession or a top level category within the profession.

So, now I am just waiting for feedback, no coding until I see what you guys say :D

/Zimoon

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Re: Question on GUI for schematics

Post by Seldom_Bored » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:56 pm

I will only speak for Munitions as this is the only class that I play and so I don't want to generalize other professions without knowing exactly how they work.

Personally, I would like to be able to separate Munitions into three "categories". The first category should be Armor. This should include all of the cores, segments, layers, and armor appearances as well as PSG's and anything else that is able to be made with the armor/clothing tool.

The second category should be Weapons. This will include all weapons, components, and everything that can be made under the weapons tab of the general tool.

The third category should be Other. This will include all of the other things that aren't in either of the two above categories including pet stims, droid batteries, crafting tools/survey devices, and anything else on the general tab of the general tool.

If you want to break these categories down even further that would be ideal. For armor at least, it would be nice to have a category that shows all armor appearances, one that shows all things used in making armor appearances(cores/segments/layers) and then one for PSGs and their related subcomponents.

For the weapons category, it would probably be best to have each weapon type have their own group (pistol/rifle/1h/2h/etc) but if that's too time consuming, then a category for all weapons would be just fine too. Then there should be a subcategory for the weapon components.

That's what my personal opinion is on them. However you choose to format them, whether it be through a dropdown menu, or a "tree" would all be whatever is easiest or you like the best as it doesn't really matter to me personally.

If you need any help with anything munitions related as far as sorting them into what category, you know who to ask. :)

--Seldom

Edit:

Code: Select all

-All
    -Munitions
                 -Weapons
                             -Components
                                             -Melee Components
                                                                      -Advanced Vibro Blade Unit
This is what my idea would look like visually.

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:31 pm

I rather like Seldom's proposal, and think it matches the "tree" option best, so that is how I voted.

I assume that by drop-down boxes you mean a schematic search similar to that on SWGCraft itself. Personally I find that one to be useful only when I know the exact name of the schematic I am looking for -- it's not very good for browsing or considering schematics in groups.

A tabbed tree, grouped intelligently as Seldom suggests, seems like it would be far more useful.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Yepp, Seldom suggests the tree style.

However, not so you run away and expect marvels here :mrgreen:
"Category" will be exactly what is stated at the schematic, if the schematic reads "Ranged Weapon Stock Component" that is what it will be in SWGAide too, no more no less.

So, all schematics that are not up-to-date at this site won't be up-to-date in SWGAide, simple as that.
Applications for "schematics maintainers" are accepted in http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=18 :lol:

I like the tree style more myself, but wanted to hear opinions before I am bashed at 8)

Thanks
/Zimoon

/reverts back to listening mode

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Post by Seldom_Bored » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Zimoon wrote: However, not so you run away and expect marvels here :mrgreen:
"Category" will be exactly what is stated at the schematic, if the schematic reads "Ranged Weapon Stock Component" that is what it will be in SWGAide too, no more no less.
I'm not sure what you mean by this line. Can you please elaborate?

Edit: I should do some investigating before I post :)

What I gather that this means, is that when I go look up a schematic on SWGCraft, and click on the schematic, the link under the "Category" statistic is what each schematic will be under for SWGAide? So as an example, if I look up the schematic "Advanced Armor Layer Primus", the category that it has been put into is "Armor Layers". When I click on "Armor Layers" there are three schematics in the category all of which are armor layers. You're saying that's what you're going to do for SWGAide too? So I will select munitions, then select say armor layers, and all of the schematics under the armor layers category will show up and allow me to use?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Seldom_Bored wrote:
Zimoon wrote: However, not so you run away and expect marvels here :mrgreen:
I'm not sure what you mean by this line. Can you please elaborate?

Edit: I should do some investigating before I post :)

What I gather that this means, is that when I go look up a schematic on SWGCraft, and click on the schematic, the link under the "Category" statistic is what each schematic will be under for SWGAide? So as an example, if I look up the schematic "Advanced Armor Layer Primus", the category that it has been put into is "Armor Layers". When I click on "Armor Layers" there are three schematics in the category all of which are armor layers. You're saying that's what you're going to do for SWGAide too? So I will select munitions, then select say armor layers, and all of the schematics under the armor layers category will show up and allow me to use?
Yes, the Category statistic is the one that will be used (At least I guess so, as that's the one we export :P)... And the rest sounds like the way I imagine Zimoon imagines it being done.

Seldom_Bored
Novice Crafter

Post by Seldom_Bored » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Okay. Well then how do I go about updating schematics? There are a ton of munitions ones that I will update so that they are correct in SWGAide.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:45 am

Seldom_Bored wrote:Okay. Well then how do I go about updating schematics? There are a ton of munitions ones that I will update so that they are correct in SWGAide.
I have posted an application on your behalf for the moderators, let's wait a few days and see.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Seldom_Bored wrote:Okay. Well then how do I go about updating schematics? There are a ton of munitions ones that I will update so that they are correct in SWGAide.
I have posted an application on your behalf for the moderators, let's wait a few days and see.
I just want to post some general information on schematics and Seldom's informal application :)

At the moment we are investigating/researching for some background data that would benefit both SWGCraft and SWGAide. I do not believe this will have a visible effect at SWGCraft, but SWGAide depends on parts of it.

Hence, I suggest you guys report whatever you find at the schematics pages that could be adjusted or corrected. Use or create threads in the schematics forum http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Especially if you see a schematic that reads: Category | N/A
List them. Make it clear if there are dependencies.

I am going to update the Schematics Maintainers - - - Hints, Tips, and Rules so it is accurate.

Have fun

/Zimoon