Resource Usage Experimental Properties Filter

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Hurlobacca
Novice Crafter

Resource Usage Experimental Properties Filter

Post by Hurlobacca » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm not sure what it would take to make this happen, but it would be nice when using the "Resource Usage" function if we could also filter which experimental properties we are interested in. Some of the broader searches return quite a few schematics and the only way to see which experimental properties of the resource which apply to a schematic is to check them out one by one. For example, I see a metal spawned that has a very high OQ, but not much else. By being able to isolate the schematics that call for metal with OQ as the only experimental property, it would be much easier to see if that resource is worth mining.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Resource Usage Experimental Properties Filter

Post by Savacc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:01 pm

If you are a crafter, you know what resources you use, what you are short of, what you need.

If you are a miner, and your question is, "What do crafters want?" then Ild say you should ask them.

Vedauwoo
Novice Crafter

Post by Vedauwoo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Hurlobacca wrote:I'm not sure what it would take to make this happen, but it would be nice when using the "Resource Usage" function if we could also filter which experimental properties we are interested in. Some of the broader searches return quite a few schematics and the only way to see which experimental properties of the resource which apply to a schematic is to check them out one by one. For example, I see a metal spawned that has a very high OQ, but not much else. By being able to isolate the schematics that call for metal with OQ as the only experimental property, it would be much easier to see if that resource is worth mining.
I am working on a guide now that details what is important to look for...and for whom.....and also (for my specific server's trade forums) what the general "market pricing" is for various qualities of resources.

I'll post up a link once it's complete..

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Vedauwoo wrote:...
I'll post up a link once it's complete..
You are welcomed to post the entire guide here, in the General Crafting forum, please :D

/Zimoon

Hurlobacca
Novice Crafter

Post by Hurlobacca » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:53 pm

Savacc wrote:If you are a crafter, you know what resources you use, what you are short of, what you need.

If you are a miner, and your question is, "What do crafters want?" then Ild say you should ask them.
You've clearly given this reply a great deal of thought. Honestly, with advice like "you should already know what you need" and "go ask someone else" I'm a little puzzled as to why you even bothered to reply. I am a crafter who knows what resources I use for munitions, but I am less familiar with the resources needed for the other crafting professions. Most of the SWG Professions forums have lists of what resources are used, but they are specific to a single profession. Additionally, such lists don't always identify the schematics for which the resources are used, and that can be helpful information if a particular resource is used for a schematic that doesn't have a lot of value (e.g. a chef item that nobody uses).

I don't see the logic or practicality of asking other crafters what resources they need. If someone were to ask me what resources they should mine for munitions traders I would refer them to this site and the forums rather than put together a list that already exists somewhere else. What I'm talking about is an enhancement of a feature that already exists on this site that would increase its functionality.

I use the "Resource Usage" feature all the time as I attempt to evaluate the value of a resource outside of my profession, and an Experimental Properties filter would let me plug in those properties that are exceptional for the resource and see if it matches up with any schematics. I can already do this manually by checking all the relevant schematics for that resource but, as I mentioned, in some cases there are quite a few schematics to click through.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:10 am

I do give this question a lot of thought and I wrote the guides for Structures Traders you refer to.

I saw your question as too broad for a specific answer. I honestly feel I gave you the best answer I could. Do you dispute my claim that a resource has value to you in relation to how much you need or can use it? Or that if you dont plan to use the resource yourself, but possibly for someone else, that the best course might be to ask if its a resource they want or need?

Being able to search a data base for all schematics that may call for a resource and compare the stats vs Experimental Properties will not necessarily tell you if a resource is worth mining. Every profession has 100s of schematics, only a small percentage of them are worth making. You need some knowledge of each profession to tell whats worth mining or making, either first hand, or by asking.

I can tell you immediately what resource Im looking for. Its a High Grade Polymetric Radioactive with OQ and PE of 960 or more. Such a resource has never spawned on my server. If/when it ever spawns I want all I can get of it.

Hurlobacca
Novice Crafter

Post by Hurlobacca » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Savacc wrote:I do give this question a lot of thought and I wrote the guides for Structures Traders you refer to.

I saw your question as too broad for a specific answer. I honestly feel I gave you the best answer I could. Do you dispute my claim that a resource has value to you in relation to how much you need or can use it? Or that if you dont plan to use the resource yourself, but possibly for someone else, that the best course might be to ask if its a resource they want or need?

Being able to search a data base for all schematics that may call for a resource and compare the stats vs Experimental Properties will not necessarily tell you if a resource is worth mining. Every profession has 100s of schematics, only a small percentage of them are worth making. You need some knowledge of each profession to tell whats worth mining or making, either first hand, or by asking.

I can tell you immediately what resource Im looking for. Its a High Grade Polymetric Radioactive with OQ and PE of 960 or more. Such a resource has never spawned on my server. If/when it ever spawns I want all I can get of it.
There was nothing broad about my question of whether it was possible to add a filter to the Resource Usage function that would let you identify which resource traits you were interested in, thereby eliminating irrelevant schematics from the search results. Presently, if you do a Resource Usage search on Metal, you will get about 200 schematics in the search results. I'm asking if it's possible to filter the search with specific resource traits, such as SR and UT, so that only schematics that list those as experimental properties are returned in the search results.

The only thing you need to know to determine if a resource is "good" or not is
1) What schematics that resource can be used for. Already in place
2) What experimental properties the schematic calls for. filter would negate the need to click on each schematic
3) Whether resource quality is important for that schematic. This would be a nice addition to the schematic info
4) If the schematic is for a component, what items call for that component. Already in place

Given this information, a player with a reasonable amount of playing experience can make a determination of a resource's worth without having to ask other players, which is part of the mission of this site; to enable players to get information related to crafting without having to ask someone else. If I have all the information listed above, there is no need to ask someone else.

The purpose of the thread was to ask if this enhancement of the Resource Usage feature is possible or practical given what it would take to make it happen. The purpose of this forum is to enable site users to share ideas on how to make the site more useful. I can appreciate the fact that you don't see the usefulness of my suggestion as it pertains to how you use the site, but there are a number of features on the site that not all players use and that doesn't mean they are not useful to the players that use them.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:52 pm

When I visit the forums, I use the "View new posts" feature. I dont always notice which forum the post is in. I can appreciate that in your case you were asking a question of the developers of the site, while when I read your question I saw it as a general "how can I tell if a resource is good?" question.

It is interesting that you view the purpose of the site as place people can find answers without asking. I kind of see it the opposite, that the site is here to be a place people can ask questions.

Hurlobacca
Novice Crafter

Post by Hurlobacca » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Savacc wrote:It is interesting that you view the purpose of the site as place people can find answers without asking. I kind of see it the opposite, that the site is here to be a place people can ask questions.
I'm sure you've seen the SOE forum posters who are totally unfamiliar with the search function. It kind of drives me nuts when people don't at least try to find the info they need by doing a search. While their search tool is not perfect, I find it usually works for me. This site is a compendium of information specific to crafting. At this stage in the site's development, a great deal of information regarding crafting has been accumulated. If that information is accessible and retrievable, then there's no reason for me to ask someone else. I wouldn't expect to see you post an inquiry as to what's spawning on Dantooine on Eclipse because that information is already available somewhere else. But I do agree with you that this site is also useful as a forum for sharing ideas or making inquiries with other users when the answer to your query is not easily found or not available.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:30 pm

If the Devs here don't mind I can write up a help text for that page with an example from a simple schematic. Possibly not too much text and a screenshot. Would that be possible Sobuno? Not a forum post but a link "Help/Example" at these pages? Or a forum post linked to?

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Zimoon wrote:If the Devs here don't mind I can write up a help text for that page with an example from a simple schematic. Possibly not too much text and a screenshot. Would that be possible Sobuno? Not a forum post but a link "Help/Example" at these pages? Or a forum post linked to?

/Zimoon
What page? The one suggested or the present one?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:43 pm

This time I think it is the "Find Resources" page :)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Zimoon wrote:This time I think it is the "Find Resources" page :)
Aha :P Can't seem what harm it can do, gives me a reason to finish/start the help system

Heloc
Novice Crafter

Post by Heloc » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:41 pm

This is a feature that I would really like to see. I'm an armorsmith but I always try to keep my eye out for high quality resources spawns. I don't look for specific resources, I just look at current spawns and see what is good. I always find myself checking to see what that resource is used for and I would love to be able to filter the resource usage search with check boxed for the experimental properties boxes.

There are simply too many different schematics with too many different requirements to try and keep it all straight.

RebelDawg
Apprentice Crafter

Post by RebelDawg » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 pm

With the help of SWGAide and a good set of guards you can determine what you are looking for. If the guards don't exist then do what I did and create them yourself. Then share that knowledge with the community. If we, the community can come up with a complete list of guards for each profession then that will help both the developer of this site and other developers of third party utilities such as SWGAide.