Food Additives

Ask & answer questions, submit ideas or post guides on the Chef Expertise.

Moderators: Onyx, Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

EvilChef
Novice Crafter

Food Additives

Post by EvilChef » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello, and good day. I'm new to the world of being a chef, and I'm slowly learning the ways of being a good chef. But do have a question about food additives. I seem to can't get max on the additives. Was wondering what I'm doing wrong. Thnks for the help.
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Flurry Server
Liveo DarkMatter Master Jedi
Sothi DarkMatter Master Chef
Bame DarkMatter Doom Medic
Ososa Dark Master Officer

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Food Additives

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:16 pm

Tell us a little about your resources and perhaps your expertize, please.

/Zimoon

EvilChef
Novice Crafter

Post by EvilChef » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Np, I been using high 900's in OQ, PE, flavor has been below 600. My expertize are all on the chef side, with a few in BM, and a few in extraction. Just no sure what I should be looking for when putting it togather. Thnks
Flurry Server

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 pm

To be honest I haven't played my Chef in a while, a long time actually. But now I have finally transferred her to Chimaera and am about to warm her up. I cannot seem to find a decent guide on additives so I will probably write one in due time. You need the Chef Schematic 1 and 2 from the expertize, plus you want to use wood for Flora (organic) with as high OQ as possible. It lacks PE and FL but ius fine since other resources add to these :)

Other than that I am too rusty at the moment, hopefully others can chime in.

/Zimoon

EvilChef
Novice Crafter

Post by EvilChef » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Alright, Thnks
Flurry Server

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:03 am

What Zimoon has said about using wood in the organic slot is absolutely right. Pick a wood with OQ over 960, I usually use one with low DR (and save the high DR stuff for use in food where it counts). Then you just need meat and flora with high stats - you mentioned your flavor was low, that is probably why you're not capping, since flavor is 20% of the final outcome. I personally have a different type of meat (and flora) I use for nutrients vs food, since meat used in food can get away with much lower flavor (since it's not used when experimenting nutrition). It probably goes without saying but make sure you're spec'd into the line that raises the quality of your chef materials!

All that said, I find that there isn't a staggering difference between 118 and 120 when it comes to the final food, and it's rare that you'll have huge meat quantities to always hit 120 anyway, so I wouldn't stress it too much.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

EvilChef
Novice Crafter

Post by EvilChef » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:04 am

Ok slowly starting to understand. When it comes to the stats on the meat and flora. They should be above what or try not to have any below? Another question, I been working on making heavy food additive. And each block requires a different thing, berries for berries and so on, but the vitamin enhancer block, say Flora Food. Does that mean any type of flora? Sorry for all the question. Just trying to learn the workings of everything. And i'm sure I'll have more question as the time goes on. :)
Flurry Server

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:17 am

EvilChef wrote:Ok slowly starting to understand. When it comes to the stats on the meat and flora. They should be above what or try not to have any below? Another question, I been working on making heavy food additive. And each block requires a different thing, berries for berries and so on, but the vitamin enhancer block, say Flora Food. Does that mean any type of flora? Sorry for all the question. Just trying to learn the workings of everything. And i'm sure I'll have more question as the time goes on. :)
It's not directly important what each individual stat is - what's important is the weighted average. For nutrients, that's 50% OQ, 30% PE, 20% FL. Just stick it in yer calculator, .5(OQ)+.3(PE)+.2(FL), and compare that result to the results of your other potential resources. In that way, a meat with, say, 900OQ, 900PE, and 1FL is actually better than a meat with 700 in all three stats, even though the FL on the first meat is horrible. (This is for the bio-nutrients only; food has a different weighting for each experimentation line, which you can see by looking at the item in the crafting window before you start crafting it.) I think that if you can get your meat to average over 800, with maxed out flora and wood (960 plus the bonus from expertise), you should be coming pretty close to cap.

Flora food is every type of flora that isn't wood (wood would fall under flora structural). What will help you out out a ton is the Resource Tree found on this very site - it's sooo useful for figuring out which resources fall under which categories, since some of them aren't entirely intuitive, and some of them are downright confusing - like the difference between fruit and fruits, hehe. Click on "Compact" so you can see all the categories on one screen.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 am

For the resource classes, have a look at http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_tree.php which graphically shows how they form a "tree" of classes and sub-classes. This is also explained in the Beginners Guide for Traders in the General Crafting forum board, plus the chapter on Power Crafting. Furthermore, I suggest you download and install SWGAide, see my signature and its own forum thread in http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... f=29&t=497 , and have a look at the Resources panel. Click F1 when confused to read the help texts.

What is tricky with some of the resource classes is that they have caps on some stats. OQ never has a cap, but almost all the others have at one point or another. This is handled specially while crafting, and depends on what the schematic calls for (chapter Power Crafting). Tinsel has laid a great foundation, I think you just need to do the puzzle now ;)

/Zimoon