Resources & quality properties

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Resources & quality properties

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 6:08 pm

To explain my question i will take an example:

I want to make a Light Ore Mining Unit that needs 20 Inert Gas. Because i want to have a high BER it needs the quality HR, SR and UT.
but after searching several planets i couldnt find a resource that has these qualities (only DR and OQ). So that means i couldnt create this item without having a bad resource.
If I use a resource that doesnt have the right quality properties, what will happen to de final quality of the item? If so, where can i find those resources that has the right qualities. I checked the resourceTree xml file and (Inert) Gas has only DR and OQ...

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resources & quality properties

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Resources come and go with a lifetime of between 6 to 22 days, general Inorganics are generally 6 to 11 days while JTL resources are often up to 18 days. Organics have the lot between 6 to 22 days.

When they spawn they always have random stats and seldom have the best stats the day you realize you need them :P

That is one of the two main reasons I always advise against speed grinding and why I mention it early on in the Beginners Guide for Traders ;)

Watch out for them and finally they will be there.

Welcome around and have a great stay :D

/Zimoon

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 6:24 pm

I dont mean the caps of resources but the properties of resources.
Will like inert Gas ever come with HR, SR, UT qualities? Is that random too?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed May 14, 2008 6:31 pm

The properties of a specific resource type will remain the same, only the values change.

http://swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res=0 <- Drill-down

http://swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res=18 <- Inert Gas

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Sentienel wrote:I dont mean the caps of resources but the properties of resources.
Will like inert Gas ever come with HR, SR, UT qualities? Is that random too?
Sorry, no, they are set in stone.

However, read the Beginners Guide, the Power Crafting chapter, and you will see that this can be used to an advantage. For example, many schematics call for Inert Petrochemical, and there are two sub classes to that, Lubricating Oil and Polymer. Lub Oil only has DR and OQ, while Polymer has more stats.

If now a schematics calls for Intert Petro and some metal, OQ and SR. Concentrate on the metal to have high SR and OQ, but don't use Polymer unless it also has awesome OQ and SR. It will probably be easier to find a Lub Oil with splendid OQ (but no SR) and then use that one. It suffices to fill a stat-slot once, if that is possible.

/Zimoon

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 6:35 pm

So i can never create a Light ore mining unit with the inert gas resource lot filled with green (only empty black)
what happens to the final quality of the item?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 6:36 pm

Sentienel wrote:So i can never create a Light ore mining unit with the inert gas resource lot filled with green (only empty black)
what happens to the final quality of the item?
Read my post again, and the guide :)

/Zimoon

PS: Do not trust the black/red/yellow/green bar, it is too general. Read the numbers in the lower right panel. And learn how the formulas work. DS

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Zimoon wrote:Sorry, no, they are set in stone.
I understand that some resource types are different in resource properties. But if they dont change (properties stay the same) i will NEVER find inert gas with the properties i need.
I've read your guide and i understand what quality will do with the final item.
The colors are just an indication what quality of resource it is in that situation. And if i have 2 or more resource that are almost the same, i always check the numbers at the right.
If you can tell me what inert gas i can use with the item i want to create then im happy :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 6:56 pm

Sentienel wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Sorry, no, they are set in stone.
I understand that some resource types are different in resource properties. But if they dont change (properties stay the same) i will NEVER find inert gas with the properties i need.
I've read your guide and i understand what quality will do with the final item.
The colors are just an indication what quality of resource it is in that situation. And if i have 2 or more resource that are almost the same, i always check the numbers at the right.
If you can tell me what inert gas i can use with the item i want to create then im happy :)
I may not be well versed in English so I misunderstand you completely.

The stats are set in stone. Their values, what you mention as properties, are random.

You can use any gas that qualifies as Inert Gas. None will ever have the stats you want so you can just take any gas at hand.

/Zimoon

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 7:07 pm

wont that effect the final quality?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Sentienel wrote:wont that effect the final quality?
Nope, the metals will fill the slots for the 3 stats asked for. Did I not say that it suffices to fill a stat once, if that is possible? 8)

However, there are actually schematics that call for certain resource classes and that at the same time calls for stats that neither of the mentioned resource classes have, that sucks and the empty stat slot will reduce the final result. I don't remember how much or if it as a zero in the original formula to compute the weighted average result.

/Zimoon

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks, that was very helpfull :)

One last question:
The mining unit i create has for example BER 3. What is the highest BER i can create now with a Mineral Mining Installation? (this needs a mining unit) BER 3 too?
Or is it the average BER between the final item and his subitems?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed May 14, 2008 8:27 pm

For this one I must leave you waiting for Savacc, our Structure Trader expert. I am just a fledgling archie yet ;)

/Z

Sentienel
Novice Crafter

Post by Sentienel » Wed May 14, 2008 8:31 pm

ive tried with BER 3 Light Ore Mining Unit and i can create a Mineral Mining BER 8 (mostly BER 7)

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu May 15, 2008 1:31 am

Your original question about inert gas in a schematic for mining units, you understand that one now right? Because inert gas does not have any stats in HR, SR or UT it is not used in the calculations for experimental property in a mining unit. That is, you will not be penalized because inert gas does not have the stats the schematic is looking for.

Your second question about the BER rating of a light ore mining unit, used to make a medium harvester. That is a good question. It has been a long time since I have made a medium harvester. I had to go in game and make one, but here is what I found out. The max BER on the Light Ore Mining Unit is 5 if experimented to 100% (this is not a "bugged" schematic). Combine it to make a Mineral Mining Installation and the max BER will be 11 if experimented to 100%. So if you had a Light Ore Mining Unit that was BER 3, you could get a Mineral Mining Installation as high as BER 9, but a 7 or 8 would be more reasonable.