Noob question on Resource quality.

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Jed
Novice Crafter

Noob question on Resource quality.

Post by Jed » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Ok I am brand new to all this crafting stuff, and basically read allot of the starter guides but there are a few things I am not understanding, so I was hoping to get some info here.

Resource quality.

I am reading that the new standard for quality is 961. That I don’t want to mine anything less then that.

Then I see this.

CR DR HR MA OQ SR UT
442 259 536 420 595 207 115

I don’t see any one 961 number or higher. How do I know what CR is? What DR is ect? And how do I know what that number means?

Crafting stations

I am reading that 45 point crafting station is the highest. I did manage to make a star craft crafting station. How ever there was no point rating system on it? How do I know what the rating system on my station is? Or how good it is?

Also do I understand correctly that space resources are all the same that there is no quality associated with them?

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Noob question on Resource quality.

Post by Rommel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Jed wrote:I am reading that the new standard for quality is 961. That I don’t want to mine anything less then that.

Then I see this.

CR DR HR MA OQ SR UT
442 259 536 420 595 207 115

I don’t see any one 961 number or higher. How do I know what CR is? What DR is ect? And how do I know what that number means?
They are listed in order...CR is 442 DR is 259, ect, ect.

To know what it means you need to know what the cap is, for more info see Lunariel's Guide to Resource Caps

The reason why people talk about 961 is because with the refining experience traders have you can refine a resource by 4% effectively making 961 (96.1%) 1000. You only need capped resources if what your making requires it, if your just making swoops you can use whatever.
Jed wrote:Crafting stations

I am reading that 45 point crafting station is the highest. I did manage to make a star craft crafting station. How ever there was no point rating system on it? How do I know what the rating system on my station is? Or how good it is?
45's were a result of Crafting Day, you can no longer make them the closest you can get is 44.999992. When you examine the station it will say it's rating.
Jed wrote:Also do I understand correctly that space resources are all the same...
Yes, their stats never change.

Jed
Novice Crafter

Post by Jed » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks so much for answering, I guess i dont see where the 961 comes in when there are so many numbers and things to look at.

how do i know by looking at that ore for example what i posted if that is good or bad?

I did see the link and well it seems very complex and i am not sure i understand it.

here is an example from her cap guide

Chanlon Intrusive Ore: CR 262 - 404, DR 354 - 479, HR 723 - 777, MA 48 - 154, SR 539 - 628, UT 447 - 553

to me this means nothing, a bunch of numbers and i dont see any of it near 961?
I know i am something that is very basic just trying to figure out what that something is

I am sure that guid means something to people that know what they are doing but to a noob like me it is way over my head. All the noob guides just talk about 961 quiality being caped and dont go into detail on what you or what you dont have to worry about a resource being capped nor do they say how to figure out what is good or bad by looking at the numbers.

Do you have to run math forumlas to determine if a resource is good or not?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:52 pm

First off, welcome around, warmly welcome :D

Then on to resources and possible resource caps.

Simply and untruthfully put, stats vary between 1 and 1000. Since the 4% Resource Quality Increase from the appropriate expertize can add 4% on top of the "weighted average" of all of the resources you use we say that 960 is the limit for awesome resources. But that is the weighted average so having all stats above 960 is not necessary.

The limit of 962 is since 962 + 4% > 1000. If you read 961 somewhere that was wrong, it should have been 962.

"960, I did read 962?" Yes, but recently a crafter noticed that the SOE Devs simply added 40 to the weighted average which effectively makes 960 the limit since 960 + 40 = 1000. And since 40 out of 1000 is 4% it is kind of true even though most mathematicians shrug and roll in their graves. Whatever, the end result is that the bonus is better than 4% whatsoever.

But now we comes to caps. Caps are listed in for example the XML file at http://simongronlund.googlepages.com/swgresourcefiles. Now a few things becomes important to know and remember:
  • Not all stats have caps, for example OQ always spans 1 to 1000
  • Only the stats that the schematic calls for should be considered
  • If a stat has a cap you simply divide the stat by its cap times 1000, see example below
  • It is the cap for the resource class the schematic calls for that is considered
Example from the Beginners Guide for Traders, a schematics: Colat has a cap on CD of 332, assume you have a Colat Iron with CD 310, that gives the computed value of 1000 * 310 / 310 = 933,73493975904 and voila, quite close to 1000 while it only has 310. This is true if and only if the schematic calls for Colat Iron. See the guide for more details on how and where to apply the computed value.

What you read in the list of caps (note that Lunariels guide is slightly outdated, the XML file is accurate as far as I know) is the lower and upper cap which is used in the formula. A stat close to its cap can be considered this or that close to 1000, just think of 100 as 100% and you see it.

The we finally have the "weighted average" to consider, and this value must be computed before the eventual 4% bonus is applied. The weighted bonus is considering how many unit is used in each one resource slot in the schematic. IF it is equal number of units in each one slot then the math is simple, but in most cases you have for example 10 units of Metal and 2 units of Organic, which makes the stats of the Metal 5 time as important as the Organic. This is again explained in the guide.

I understand the math can be overwhelming to begin with. That is one of the reasons I always advise people not to speed-grind to master. That is to dig one's own grave 'cuz out of frustration many potentially great crafters bail out. Rather take just an easy schematic that uses only two plain resources. Do the math and see how the assembly and experimentation turns out for you.

Kindly

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Ooh, I forgot to mention that when you browse current resources at http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/current_resources.php then you can easily see which stats are good.

All stats are also read in % and that is their quality considering their respective caps.

However, if the schematics calls for a super-class of a certain resource you perhaps have to compute the quality yourself. The formula is simple

Code: Select all

computed value = 1000 * stat / some_cap
/Zimoon

Jed
Novice Crafter

Post by Jed » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:27 pm

thats for the information will have to study it.

It is all a bit more complex then I first thought but I may be getting there.

Just a last follow up question. I understand star ship crafting stations have a cap of like 44.90005 something like that or what ever.

So I make mine, I get all the pieces for all the options and I examine it and it says rating is 13.62 something like that.

Thats really bad then? How could I have made a station so bad? Or is there some sort of way to take that 13.62 and get the rating?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:07 pm

You need super duper components from DEs as well. But on this one I must ask Savacc to chime in, he will be here soonish I believe. Savacc is the Archie expert and I am just a Novice.

/Zimoon

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Pulled from the SWG forums...edited for spelling/grammer/ formatting. It was written back in '06
Final Combine is 15.00 Points, so if you skip all subcomponents and use 960 or above CD Metal with a Architect buff you will get a 15.00 crafting station.

2 Micro Sensor Suites are worth 5.00 Points
5 Droid Storage units are worth 5.00 Points
2 Control Units are worth 5.00 Points

Also the subs for the MSS all count individually as well

Control Unit 5.00
Electronic GP 5.00
Energy Distributors 5.00

That totals up to 45.00 which would be a perfect station. Although there are some round errors with some components that put the current max at 44.999992

The MSS subs are pretty easy to cap since they are only OQ, it's the droid storage units which require 960 or above 50%CD/50%OQ Metal, the MSS requires 960 or above 33%CD/66%OQ Metal and Steel. That will be your hang up. There is not way to gage components bought off others, your best bet is to make them with Resources that exceed the Requirement to cap.
Last edited by Zimoon on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced 962 with 960 ;)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Rommels post s great!!!

Note that the 5.00 components must have got at least one amazing success during the experimentation. It is possible to craft a component that is 5.00 without the amazing, but then it is not 5.00000000 but something inferior and it will not cap your final produce. This one is tricky and even some newbie DEs don't know about it but happily sell you 5.00 as if the are capped, which they are not.

To Jed: Yes, crafting can seem overwhelmingly complex to begin with. In fact, many things in SWG are really complex, even in combat for example, where players need to know a lot of the effects of buffs, debuffs, stats and negating stats, specials and how to parry those, cooldowns on the opponents specials so you can hit him/her at their weakest moment. And a lot more. PvP of course.

However, all of those players that love SWG always mention the diverse game and those mini games in the game that add extra spice to SWG. SWG is not a shallow game, I have played for 4 years and I still learn every now and then, or maybe I have forgot details. I just love it.

Crafting and its complexity, the best and only advise I can give you is: Don't speed-grind but play around with the low-level schematics until you "know" how they work, step up a level every now and then and play around to learn. You simply cannot stuff all information into your brain by reading, take a piece at a time and practice to catch the idea.

I didn't start out with crafting but soon understood that as a becoming Doctor (in 2004 there were Doctors) I could craft. Today I can laugh my butt of when recalling some silly mistakes and misconceptions I had (and little did I use the forums at that time). Let me tell you just one:

To craft healing stims I needed Wild Wheat. For some odd reason I knew about the forage ability. I ran around foraging for wheat but always got some random organic and always just a few units. It took me some time to understand that there were harvesters, but then I quickly chose Artisan to get me some personals. Yeah, I was not really the smartest player around :P

Try to get me telling some other silly story another time ;)

/Zimoon