improving manual sampling

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

improving manual sampling

Post by Ibaum » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't believe there are any buffs to improve manual sampling, meaning nothing from medics or entertainers, no foods, etc. That means the only way to increase the amount of resources sampled by hand must come from improved action pools and increasing recovery rate. As it is now there comes a point where you have to rest before you can sample again, where you just have too little action left. By delaying that point you will get a minor increase in the number of resources gathered. But when hand sampling on Mustafar, even a minor increase is helpful.

So what can you do to increase action pool and recovery rate? Would constitution, stamina, or agility mods work? Are there any other suggestions?
/Ibaum

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Re: improving manual sampling

Post by Rommel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Lets see...
Entertainer buffs:
Harvester faire, increase harvesting by 5%
Stamina
Action Reduction, I'm not sure if this one works on sampling

Food:
Chandad, can add +12 surveying

General Trader Expertise.

To add even more action pool you could probably stack stamina on a suit and use pups also. I'll have to try this on test center sometime.

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:29 pm

My understanding is that harvest faire only works on harvesters and not manual sampling.
/Ibaum

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Manual sampling is increased from the expertize tree, possibly from Chandad.

However, since so many traders abused an exploit the Devs plugged that loophole and one thing they added early on was increased action drain. That effectively made it impossible to use the entire sampling line from the expertize, I think you can only use 75% of it. Otherwise your action is drained.

This was once again brought up for the Senators and is at their agenda, at least I understood their responses that way.

/Zimoon

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 am

The exploit was actually pretty bad. In essence, each pop up window you canceled while sampling started a new iteration of sampling. When the action cost was low, I could have all the expertise boxes, and have 20 iterations of the sample running at once. The result super harvesting netted over 500 units of resource a minute on a good percentage spawn. Of course you had to sit at the keyboard to continue canceling out the new pop ups, but 30k of resources while taking care of a lot of the minutiae of crafting was handy.

Laidbacca
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Laidbacca » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 pm

TradeMaster wrote:The exploit was actually pretty bad. In essence, each pop up window you canceled while sampling started a new iteration of sampling. When the action cost was low, I could have all the expertise boxes, and have 20 iterations of the sample running at once. The result super harvesting netted over 500 units of resource a minute on a good percentage spawn. Of course you had to sit at the keyboard to continue canceling out the new pop ups, but 30k of resources while taking care of a lot of the minutiae of crafting was handy.
Hehe, funny how bad coding and someone actually playing the game "at the keyboard" gets deemed an exploit.

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:32 pm

I still disagree on the full expertise being not worth it. Even though you do stand with all 7 points allocated, you also sample 18-20% more than someone with only 6 points allocated. That's a tremendous difference to me. Could it be higher if you didn't stand? Yes. But even if it's only 18% more, why would anyone not take that? And note that I frequently sample on Mustafar and so far, the only times I've died since the change have been the few times when my cat jumped on the laptop keyboard . . . he apparently likes watching the little characters run around and scream as they die, sigh.

The issue is more between lower levels and higher level ones.

As far as increasing, yes. Entertainer buffs and clothing with stamina. Chandad (a food) and survey mods on your clothing can also help increase the amount. Some people swear that luck helps too.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:49 pm

Onyx wrote:Some people swear that luck helps too.
Some people swear that Luck effects everything...I think I even know some nut job who thinks it effects when it rains on dant*.

*kidding

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:52 pm

Onyx wrote:I still disagree on the full expertise being not worth it. Even though you do stand with all 7 points allocated, you also sample 18-20% more than someone with only 6 points allocated. That's a tremendous difference to me. Could it be higher if you didn't stand? Yes. But even if it's only 18% more, why would anyone not take that?
On my server there is a fantastic ore on Musty. I have all the boxes, several guildies only have the 6. They got a 30k head start on me (give or take) and I have not only caught them up but passed them. I also take significant breaks to do other things (like have fun while I'm atk) while they're still sampling. It is a significant increase to have the last box.
/Ibaum

Hodru
I've been here for 30 days and all I get is this lousy rank?!?!

Post by Hodru » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:09 pm

Ibaum wrote:
Onyx wrote:I still disagree on the full expertise being not worth it. Even though you do stand with all 7 points allocated, you also sample 18-20% more than someone with only 6 points allocated. That's a tremendous difference to me. Could it be higher if you didn't stand? Yes. But even if it's only 18% more, why would anyone not take that?
On my server there is a fantastic ore on Musty. I have all the boxes, several guildies only have the 6. They got a 30k head start on me (give or take) and I have not only caught them up but passed them. I also take significant breaks to do other things (like have fun while I'm atk) while they're still sampling. It is a significant increase to have the last box.
I'd agree with this. I just recently picked up the last box to try it out, and have noticed a significant increase in the amount I harvest.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:35 pm

OK, I stand corrected and will convey the message when I can: having all boxes is better than leaving out a few. You have convinced me ;)

Still it would be nice t o see the Action drain addressed sooner than later.

/Zimoon

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:20 am

Yes it would! It's inconvenient and leads to more macros running to correct it, but not fatal to the game.
/Ibaum

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:54 pm

I run the same macro now that I did before they increased the action costs, actually. Never had an issue with it.

Name: Sample

/sample;
/pause 5;
/ui action defaultButton;
/pause 5;
/macro sample;
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:14 am

The problem isn't that a macro can't run, it's that more has to be done in the macro to restart you sampling. This is not the case if you only have 6 boxes of expertise, but if you check the seventh you have to include the order to sample otherwise you "have to rest" before you can sample again. It's a matter of action cost and replenishment rates, along with sampling loop times.
/Ibaum