Am I making this more difficult?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Xenien
Novice Crafter

Am I making this more difficult?

Post by Xenien » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Hello. So I've been in the game about a week or so and have spent alot of that time running around exploring and trying to gather resources. The question that has arisen for me is this: if I am a lowly crafter but am getting missions that require resources that I seem to only be able to get in areas that get me killed, is there a better way to get the resources I need? It feels like I am spending all of my game time harvesting one unit of a resource at a time rather than actually crafting. I have looked at the bazaar to see if there are players selling them, but perhaps I am overlooking something. If I want to buy generic gemstones-is that something you can find on the bazaar and if so, how does one search for that? "Gemstone" just brings up a 50,000 credit necklace. The mission in particular that spawned these questions is Gendra's 3rd one where you make the spice tea. To make the glasses I need I need gemstones, which after running around Tattoine only seem to be located in an area I apparently have no business in. So I thought--am I missing a step here? Is there a way to get these gemstones that I'm just not finding? It just felt odd that a level 5 quest would require a low level player to go into an area that he or she should be level 10 to be in just to get a few gemstones. Of course if that's just the way it is then obviously I just need to be patient and get them one or two at a time, and I'm perfectly fine with that, I just wanted to make sure I'm not making this game more difficult for myself than need be.

I should probably add that, bless my heart, my only other experience is with eq2 and wow, and I wanted a game that had more depth, which SWG certainly seems to, but I am having difficulty applying what I learned in those games to this one, or forgetting what I learned entirely, and I'm sure I'm not the only person to have had this problem! So, any guidance anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated! So far I have trolled forums, read the Beginning Traders Guide on this forum along with a lot of other guides, but maybe I'm just not seeing the answer.

Thanks for sitting through this long post!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Am I making this more difficult?

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:37 pm

Welcome around. Glad to see you here and that you already have found this site,a fan site for and with devoted crafters.

All worlds in SWG can be hostile at times,evevn though the beginners' planets are not that hard. Traders benefit from being cautious and not just innocently run around. Sometimes you will need some bodyguards. Traders can use player crafted armor and it is good to use defensive buffs from Entertainers.

All resources spawn at random locations and with random concentration. It seems as just bad luck that you cannot find about 50% or higher inside or just outside Mos Eisley. Since it such a small crate you need I guess you can try to ask any of the Traders you see, if any. We often stand in our workshops crafting so ... At the Community screen, try the Search and see if you can find a Trader and send a /tell to him/her and ask for some help.

At the Bazaar, see Resources >> Inorganic >> Minerals >> Gemstone. Double click the names to unfold the tree-like listings. You can also browse player owned vendors by clicking the tab named Vendor Locations at the Bazaar screen.

I guess you can use the Galaxy Specific Discussion forum board and see if anybody here can make you their novice :)

/Zimoon

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 pm

Welcome to Galaxies and this site :)

And I had a feeling Zimoon would beat me to replying, good thing too really, he usually makes more sense than me ;)
Last edited by kelsaka on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Another option you can use just tofind some gemstones in a city is to take your ship to another planet, and theck their cities. Pretty much any city on tattoine, lok, naboo and corellia that has a starport should be fairly safe for you to survey in. Narmle on Rori; Dearic and Nashal on Talus; are safe also and cover a farily large bit of land where you may find a better percentage. If you're on Bria, send an email to nikanlaos (that character may be on all the time, but a lot of it is afk sampling in dangerous locations. Sometimes he's just standing in a cloning booth trying to sample, but hey, them's the breaks) or yajabroni I'd be happy to supply you with materials to get through your first missions.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 pm

If you are on Eclipse, send an email or /tell to Mi'to :D
Ild be glad to help you out. :wink:

Fedacorr
Novice Crafter

Post by Fedacorr » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:05 pm

You might also want to join the 'Trader' galaxywide channel. I admit it's almost unused, but hey, if we can get folks to JOIN it, you could use it to ask other traders for assistance once in a while.

While I created new tabs for the Galaxy and Trader channels, you can just add them to the main chat tab, and force anything you want to go to the other channels by typing /galaxy textofmessage or /trader textofmessage. Stuff on those channels appears in a different color, with channel name, in the main tab, if it's joined to them.

Yep, there's already an all person, whole galaxy chat channel in the game... and no one uses it at all. Though they occasionally ask for one on the forum. :roll:

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 am

If you're on Starsider send me a tell or mail and I'll help you out.

/Ibaum
/Ibaum

Xenien
Novice Crafter

Post by Xenien » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:04 am

Thanks so much for all the responses....I will try out those suggestions, and that you Zimoon for explaining the bazaar, I didn't realize I could get it that specific! I am on Chilastra server actually, no reason for that one, just what the game gave me. That was actually something I was curious about too, as I know in the other games I've played certain servers were just, well....better. All about the same here? Anyway...thanks for the help and the advice, I sincerely appreciate it!!! This is a great, useful, and friendly forum!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:50 am

Xenien wrote:...curious about too, as I know in the other games I've played certain servers were just, well....better. All about the same here? Anyway...thanks for the help and the advice, I sincerely appreciate it!!! This is a great, useful, and friendly forum!
Yes, it is the same. There are many differences between playing styles and I suggest you make some "testing" toons and hit a few galaxies to taste them. Do it before you kind of settle with a toon.

Population is one reason. Densely populated galaxies have their style with pros and cons. Sparsely populated galaxies can of course be harder to find groups for high-level combat, but on the other hand traders use to have less competition, but also less customers.

I don't know why, but some galaxies are polite and nice by nature, while I have also visited really rude and unpleasant galaxies.

Yet others are more into role playing than others, even though all may have at least a few guilds that are into RP. Some have a lot more PvP and factional wars, while others almost only do PvE. And so forth for whatever subject you may ask for.

To be honest, some galaxies have suffered hard from the decreasing population and are perhaps not as fun as they once used to be. Recently SWG population is increasing, so is my personal understanding at least, but many new players tend to find the more populated galaxies then.

You can create and delete toons as you please to, but if you put down a house, pick it up before you delete the toon, please.

/Zimoon

kelsaka
Intermediate Crafter

Post by kelsaka » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 pm

Zimoon wrote: You can create and delete toons as you please to, but if you put down a house, pick it up before you delete the toon, please.
Houses get deleted when the toon does, that's how I lost most of my resources :roll: Won't be making that mistake again!
~ Kelsaka Rymi ~
SWG Cover Girl September 2008
TRF ~ Naboo ~ Infinity

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:10 pm

kelsaka wrote:
Zimoon wrote: You can create and delete toons as you please to, but if you put down a house, pick it up before you delete the toon, please.
Houses get deleted when the toon does, that's how I lost most of my resources :roll: Won't be making that mistake again!
Yes, your are perfectly right, most of the times they do, but not always.

I found that the hard way when I was Mayor of a city two years ago. We could track the player at another galaxy, he had deleted his toon so he couldn't destroy the house, but he was kind enough to file a Ticket for the CSRs. And I have heard similar stories.

I don't known why, but it could be that they delete a toon but don't create a replacement toon, or don't do it right away.

Best thing is to always destroy a building on characters the player don't plan to play no more. Or if they are uncertain, pack-it-up into the datapad.

/Z