experimenting on generic tools

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Re: experimenting on generic tools

Post by Onyx » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Lightsaber Crafting Tools can be made into a manufacturing schematic :) (it's only the lightsaber itself that can't).

The schem can be used in an equipment factory. I'm hoping you were just standing next to the wrong kind. Can you see the schem in your datapad?
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 pm

Onyx wrote:Lightsaber Crafting Tools can be made into a manufacturing schematic :) (it's only the lightsaber itself that can't).

The schem can be used in an equipment factory. I'm hoping you were just standing next to the wrong kind. Can you see the schem in your datapad?
That wasnt what we were talking about. We were talking about the exploit :shock: that lets you experiment on a Generic Crafting Tool to get it as high as +15. On those, if you try to make a factory schematic, your factory will not accept it.

Jeez maybe I shouldnt be talking about an exploit around an SOE Senator? :roll: :lol: :twisted:

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Savacc wrote:
Onyx wrote:Lightsaber Crafting Tools can be made into a manufacturing schematic :) (it's only the lightsaber itself that can't).

That wasnt what we were talking about. We were talking about the exploit :shock: that lets you experiment on a Generic Crafting Tool to get it as high as +15. On those, if you try to make a factory schematic, your factory will not accept it.

Jeez maybe I shouldnt be talking about an exploit around an SOE Senator? :roll: :lol: :twisted:
Probably not man. :mrgreen:

CasualMaker
Novice Crafter

Post by CasualMaker » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:49 pm

thegreywolfe wrote:
Savacc wrote:

Probably not man. :mrgreen:
I don't consider is an exploit at all. Originally, it was possible to craft, and experiment on, Generic Crafting Tools using the WDG tool, saving as factory schematics too. Then someone apparently had the brainstorm of making Generic Tools craftable only by other Generic Tools, and didn't consider the side effects. The WDG tool is not the only one you can do this trick with: any variety of elite crafting tool paired with the appropriate station can do the same. I always figured that this technique was piggy-backing on the experimentation capability of the elite crafting tool/station. But it would probably take a long series of tests with good/poor tools/stations to amass the data points to prove it.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:07 pm

CasualMaker wrote:
thegreywolfe wrote: Probably not man. :mrgreen:
I don't consider is an exploit at all. Originally, it was possible to craft, and experiment on, Generic Crafting Tools using the WDG tool, saving as factory schematics too. Then someone apparently had the brainstorm of making Generic Tools craftable only by other Generic Tools, and didn't consider the side effects. The WDG tool is not the only one you can do this trick with: any variety of elite crafting tool paired with the appropriate station can do the same. I always figured that this technique was piggy-backing on the experimentation capability of the elite crafting tool/station. But it would probably take a long series of tests with good/poor tools/stations to amass the data points to prove it.
Interesting. I may have to make one for myself.

CasualMaker
Novice Crafter

Post by CasualMaker » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:25 pm

thegreywolfe wrote:
CasualMaker wrote: I don't consider is an exploit at all. Originally, it was possible to craft, and experiment on, Generic Crafting Tools using the WDG tool, saving as factory schematics too. Then someone apparently had the brainstorm of making Generic Tools craftable only by other Generic Tools, and didn't consider the side effects. The WDG tool is not the only one you can do this trick with: any variety of elite crafting tool paired with the appropriate station can do the same. I always figured that this technique was piggy-backing on the experimentation capability of the elite crafting tool/station. But it would probably take a long series of tests with good/poor tools/stations to amass the data points to prove it.
Interesting. I may have to make one for myself.
I actually made practical use of this technique once. I was stranded at (I think) Dathomir with a wrecked ship, and the station there has little-or-no repair capability. So I landed, sampled for resources, and experimented on a generic spacecraft repair tool using one of the crafting stations at the outpost.