Resource Selection

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

SpaceyDaFrog
Novice Crafter

Resource Selection

Post by SpaceyDaFrog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:40 pm

This question will relate to more than just the example I'm giving, but it's a good way for me to get my question across.

I'm making some Mineral Mining Installations (I'm too self-reliant to actually buy the elite's off vendors), and I run into something I never really thought about before.

The stats of the schematic are based off of HR, SR, UT, and a little MA if I actually want a big hopper. Clearly I can pick out the best metals and steels to use in the schematic, because those always have the stats of HR, SR, UT, and MA. But when the schematic calls for Chemical, is it better to use a chemical that contains all or some of those stats (even if they aren't high-end stats), or a chemical that doesn't contribute to any of them? I get a little confused because if I put in a chemical that contains none of the required stats it doesn't tell me that the "contribution" from that resource is 0, it just has blanks (as if it doesn't even affect the outcome).

Any ideas?
Okopte Jagerman - Structure Trader

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource Selection

Post by Zimoon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:52 pm

SpaceyDaFrog wrote:... But when the schematic calls for Chemical, is it better to use a chemical that contains all or some of those stats (even if they aren't high-end stats), or a chemical that doesn't contribute to any of them?
As you can read in the Beginners Guide for Traders you should aim at meeting each required stat only once, if possible. In the case of Chemicals then, if the schematic asks for a stat which you already have met by some great metal and your only chemical with that stat is not that great, then it will reduce the outcome. Pick another Chemical without the stat and it is not taken to account when computing the outcome. Lub Oil is such a chemical, having only DR, MA and OQ it can never spoil your metals' SR, UT and such :)

/Zimoon

SpaceyDaFrog
Novice Crafter

Post by SpaceyDaFrog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 pm

Ahhhh, that's what it meant by meeting each requirement only once. I remember reading that, but not quite understanding the meaning.

Thanks for the clarification!
Okopte Jagerman - Structure Trader

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:02 pm

Yeah, the guide should probably not be read too far in advance but as one is making progress up the Trader's ladder. I tried not to be so verbose, still it is several pages long, that's why beginners probably must repeat some installments a few times.
/Z