Vender Question

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:10 am

Thanks guys,
hey, I know this is the wrong thread, but I can't find the option to not show a storage vendor on the Bazaar. can someone give me a clue?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:24 am

Bring up the radial menu on the vender. Select "Vender Options". Select "Enable Vender Search", or "Disable Vender Search".
The default is enabled, you have to change it to make it not serachable.

I switched your post to a new topic for you.

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:51 am

Thanks Savacc,
Speaking of Vendors, Why doesn't someone mention to the Galactic Senate, an option to purchase zoning rights for placing a vendor near the Bazaars? I mean, that doesn't sound too complicated. That sure would beat hunting down all those vendor locations. and a RL Senate wouldn't turn down the opportunity to stuff their coffers.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:25 am

Yeah I have thought it would be cool to be able to "rent" space for a vendor in the NPC cities. I dont think it will ever happen, since NPC cities have been massive "no build" zones from the start.
Something I would like to see would be Space Stations that you would pilot to, that would have retail space for rent as well as habitat suites for rent (think Deep Space 9).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 am

Savacc wrote:Something I would like to see would be Space Stations that you would pilot to, that would have retail space for rent as well as habitat suites for rent (think Deep Space 9).
That would be be cool.

G, remember that we also want players to visit our remote shops. Some players have spent weeks decorating their shops, workshops, malls, and whatever to welcome their customers.

That said, yes, for a massive amount of credits I would vote for it, and have a quite short maximum time slot. The issue is not having the space for it but how to organize the traders lining up properly to have the next slot. Or should SOE auction those time slots? I dunno.

/Z

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:05 am

Yea, but then you'd have to install teleporters for those who got spacesick.
Do you know how hard it is to clean out chunks in your Keyboard? And don't try sticking it in the dishwasher...not good!

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm

I've wanted something like this for years. They should take a couple of empty building in each city and put booths inside that can be rented and have a couple of vendors placed inside. Make the rent a pretty decent amount (say about what a guild hall costs for maintenance) and allow people to put in up to 4 vendors and decorate with no more than about 20 items.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:01 pm

thegreywolfe wrote:I've wanted something like this for years. They should take a couple of empty building in each city and put booths inside that can be rented and have a couple of vendors placed inside. Make the rent a pretty decent amount (say about what a guild hall costs for maintenance) and allow people to put in up to 4 vendors and decorate with no more than about 20 items.
OK, for how long time? How to manage the interested Traders? By pricing? By a FIFO queue?

Believe me, I want it too. Either, as you suggest, in dedicated houses where you get a fixed table, or outdoors as some kinda flea market with either a fixed table or blankets on the ground onto which you can drop items. I would love it.

I guess it's my profession that always makes me start dealing with the implementation and how to deal with human beings that line up to have their share :D

The questions are still valid, unless we just want to sit tight and dream us away.

/Z

PS: FIFO = First In First Out (first come first served) DS.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm

Zimoon wrote:
thegreywolfe wrote:I've wanted something like this for years. They should take a couple of empty building in each city and put booths inside that can be rented and have a couple of vendors placed inside. Make the rent a pretty decent amount (say about what a guild hall costs for maintenance) and allow people to put in up to 4 vendors and decorate with no more than about 20 items.
OK, for how long time? How to manage the interested Traders? By pricing? By a FIFO queue?

Believe me, I want it too. Either, as you suggest, in dedicated houses where you get a fixed table, or outdoors as some kinda flea market with either a fixed table or blankets on the ground onto which you can drop items. I would love it.

I guess it's my profession that always makes me start dealing with the implementation and how to deal with human beings that line up to have their share :D

The questions are still valid, unless we just want to sit tight and dream us away.

/Z

PS: FIFO = First In First Out (first come first served) DS.
With my job I have to think about these things too.

With the indoor buildings SOE could probably manage to put in as many as 500 booths spaced out in buildings in every city. I'd put in certain requirements for a space.

To start with, the fee is not taken out of your characters bank account, instead you have to log in between the first and the fifth and go to a terminal in the building to pay the fee. This would keep us from having to deal with people no longer even playing the game and taking up space.

Second, If your vendors are empty for more than five days, you lose your space on the next reset. This will restrict it to people that actually keep their vendor stocked.

When you lose your space, the vendors roll into your datapad and your deco goes into your inventory.

Now in the case of being allowed to put up a vendor near the bazaar in town. I would only allow one vendor and would grid pattern the area so that people can't put vendors on top of each other. I would only allow a person one vendor at a time in these areas and the vendor would automatically roll after 7 days.

You would only be able to put one vendor in any area each week, and only for one week per month in any specific city.

I.e. I put up an armor vendor in the eisley bazaar area for the first week of the month. At the end of the week the vendor rolls into my inventory and I have to move it to another city. I could either then move the vendor to another city on Tattoine, or I could go to somewhere like Theed and put it up for another week. This way everyone has an opportunity for a vendor in a big populated city.

But one of the biggest things for both ideas would be that the fees would be significantly more than any other vendors, and would not be something just taken from your bank automatically. I'd also set it so that when your account goes inactive, your vendors automatically roll up. It's not fair to active players to be inable to participate because inactive players clutter things up.

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:45 pm

I would make the length of time you can rent a space limited to a 1 month period of time. Then you have to go back in the wait queue for another stall. That way people couldn't monopolize the city vendor spaces.

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:09 am

Wow, and I was resigned to dreaming of sunny somedays. Any body want to show me how to submit proposals to the Senate, I think that it would be a great learning experience. I'll drive this thing to Cideous himself if I have too. :evil: Thanks for your response!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 am

gelgamesh wrote:Wow, and I was resigned to dreaming of sunny somedays. Any body want to show me how to submit proposals to the Senate, I think that it would be a great learning experience. I'll drive this thing to Cideous himself if I have too. :evil: Thanks for your response!
You simply sign up at the official SWG/SOE forum and start a thread in some appropriate forum, in this case, pick one of the Trader forums. Cross positing in all four Trader forums will make you a nuisance and nobody will care.

A tips from an old worn out forum veteran, write up your proposal in for example Notepad, edit it, let it rest, edit again. Let it take a few days so you get it right. The proposal in short first, then a short explanation, then the lengthier (if any) background/explanation. That will make people accept or reject early on, long before they fall asleep, totally lost in some long-winded wordings :)

Post in a new thread named "Suggestion: ..." something.

Sit back and wait. I have seen too many nice suggestions fall apart since the originator too early stepped in and defended his baby (most often it was a he) which quickly turns into a flame war or a heated debate off the original track. Only if the thread is hi-jacked, ask them to stick to topic.

Senators are just like you and me, only that they "play the forum" a lot more. They pick up about anything in their area and will listen. Some Senators are great, others never walk your way, so pick a forum where you find the Senator nice and sound in your eyes ;) Believe me, I have had a few quarrels with some who never ever took my side. Others did though and some ideas are in game now, whether me or elsewise :P

/Zimoon

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:31 pm

gelgamesh wrote:Wow, and I was resigned to dreaming of sunny somedays. Any body want to show me how to submit proposals to the Senate, I think that it would be a great learning experience. I'll drive this thing to Cideous himself if I have too. :evil: Thanks for your response!
You going to use any of what I wrote? I won't be able to chime in on the official forums until I get internet and the game back up again.

gelgamesh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by gelgamesh » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:29 am

Absolutely! Actually, wolf, I was going to PM you to get you're permission to use some of your material. You've put a whole lot more thought into this than I have.
And Zim, thanks for the tips. I was hoping for 'open terminal, insert proposal', not so easy, huh. And to boot, someone's already stolen my user name... how does Gill-gag-mush sound!

BTW, has anyone seen a proposal enacted? How long did it take?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:18 am

gelgamesh wrote:BTW, has anyone seen a proposal enacted? How long did it take?
It is hard to tell whether it was the proposal or if it just happened anyway. I mean, many proposals are so obvious that the Devs may have thought of them a long time ago.

For example, the House Purge that took place in June was more or less exactly how I once wrote it in the Politician Forum and got much praise for. Am I a genius? Don't think so!!! The stuff was so generic that any moron could have come up with it, but it was written in a list form, which
  • is easily read in a snap
  • is an eye catcher
  • presents many details easily comprehended
And it had background and details each point in the list in the following sections. Any Dev could have thought this up by him/herself.

I have seen many suggestions on fixes go live. I have seen many other things people have pushed as proposals go live. But, again, any of these could have come true anyway.

The thing is, if a proposal is great it will climb up the ladder at the Senators and they will start arguing for the idea in their communication with the Devs. If it is not that great, it may be picked up anyway, or not.

A game (or any piece of software for that's sake) normally have a planning phase, a development phase, a test phase, and finally it goes live. SWG has something such as 6 + 2 + 2 months respectively. Unless it is a bug fix which seldom need a planning nor a test phase.

Cheers
/Z