"Lucky" Crafters?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

"Lucky" Crafters?

Post by Savacc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:39 am

Its hard for me to admit this, but I may have been wrong. :oops:
While crafting to restock my shipwright vendor today, I kept seeing some "fly text" coming off my char. My crafting screen was up, so I couldnt read it. After seeing it a few times I finally focused on one and as it cleared the top of my crafting screen, just before disappearing, I saw it said "Lucky". I was on the experimentation screen, and checked my log to see that it coincided with a "critical success". Actually I had gotten two crits in a row, but only a "Lucky" notice on the second.
I have been on record as pooh-poohing the idea that the attribute "Luck" is applied to the crafting success roles. My theory was that it wasnt part to the original crafting code, so I had doubts the devs would add it now. Apparently I am wrong. I have not seen the fly text before, so Im assuming it is a stealth additition to the mini publish that came out today. I didnt see it in the publish notes.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:51 pm

I do believe the fly text has been around earlier, but as you said, it is hard to see behind all the other rather big screens while crafting.

Critical Success though, it seems at is the same as Amazing Success, 8.05. So, a few Amazing and then some Luckys will be a good treat anyhow :D

/Z

xorbok
Forum Moderator

Post by xorbok » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:19 pm

I didnt notice any "lucky" text while i was REing yesterday, but then again, the inventory and RE tool screen were up and i cant see anything. I did have a nice round of RE'ing yesterday, seemingly getting to 35 much faster than the past weeks, so it could have been a little stealth change :lol:
ImageImage

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:52 am

Zimoon wrote:I do believe the fly text has been around earlier, but as you said, it is hard to see behind all the other rather big screens while crafting.

Critical Success though, it seems at is the same as Amazing Success, 8.05. So, a few Amazing and then some Luckys will be a good treat anyhow :D

/Z
Ok you are right, they were "amazing successes" not "critical"

I havent seen fly text while crafting before, combat yes, but crafting...

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:14 pm

My luck is pretty low and over the past few weeks I've been seeing a lot more *Lucky* messages flying by both with combat and crafting. I think they may have tweaked the effects of the luck stat in a positive manner

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:50 pm

the *lucky* effect is applied to XP or damage, not to the quality of the goods, at least that is my understanding. Also you can get a lucky sale at the Junk Dealer, I've sold items before at 2-3 times normal rate as a *lucky*

Which makes no sense to have a *lucky* XP when level 90.
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Feralmonkey wrote:the *lucky* effect is applied to XP or damage, not to the quality of the goods, at least that is my understanding. Also you can get a lucky sale at the Junk Dealer, I've sold items before at 2-3 times normal rate as a *lucky*

Which makes no sense to have a *lucky* XP when level 90.
You are partly true.

Historically the Amazing Success have become more frequent with increased Experimentation skills. Each Amazing adds 8.05 * 'number of boxes' used in that experimentation roll to the already achieved outcome.

Luck increases the probability of Critical Success, which also gives 8.05 * 'number of boxes', exactly as Amazing does. Thence the quality of the goods increases with the better Luck, on average of course.

In the end of the day it is how successful you are while experimenting that determines the quality of the goods; the more Amazing + Critical successes during the entire experimentation phase the better quality, simple as that. Assumed the quality of the resources admits for it of course.

/Z