How do I make top quality tools?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

ralgur
Novice Crafter

How do I make top quality tools?

Post by ralgur » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:48 am

I tried to find guides on this. Suppose I want to make a 15.00 generic crafting tool. How in the heck do I experiment on it? I tried to figure out how to experiment on structures and furniture tools too. The option never comes up no matter what station I stand near.

I'm sure I'll feel dumb, but I'm tried of not knowing. :oops:

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:45 am

First, make yourself a weapon,droid, general crafting tool. Then stand next to a Weapon, Droid, General crafting station. After you click the assemble you should get an option to experiment. Do so.

(You will not be able to experiment with a generic crafting tool (I remember there was a way to cheat a crafting station into allowing one to experiment with a generic tool, but really, you should be able to make a crafting tool with a greater than 0 effectiveness without much of an issue (keep your eyes peeled for high conductivity copper, and as thats all you're looking for, it shouldn't be hard to find, just don't blow a whole pile of credits on getting a small amount, Conductivity is one of those stats that doesn't take too long to reappear with a high rating)

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 am

Trade discribes how to experiment on other crafting tools. The problem is you can only make a GENERIC crafting tool with another GENERIC crafting tool, and you can not experiment on anything using a GENERIC crafting tool.

There is a way, but as Trade mentioned it is kind of an exploit. I dont remember exactly how right now, so Ild have to go look it up, but it is posted on the old site.

In the interests of preserving this info if the old site goes poof
http://swgcraft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16255
How do you make a high quality generic crafting tool then?

It's a problem since that schematic only appears on a generic tool, and generics can't experiment. Here is a work-around:

Stand by a WDG station, open your generic crafting tool and select the generic crafting tool schematic. Now, open your inventory and select your WDG crafting tool, opening an "examine" window. Leaving that window open, switch back to your generic crafting tool. Add your resources and assemble the new generic tool. You should see an "experiment" button this time. Experiment as usual to the max your resources will allow.

I figure the generic tool must be using the WDG tool's experimenting capability. Don't bother saving this as a manufacturing schematic, your equipment factory probably wont accept it (mine didn't).

BrassFarthing
Novice Crafter

Post by BrassFarthing » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 pm

On the other hand, anything that you can make using a Generic Crafting Tool (except for another Generic Crafting Tool, apparently), you can also make using a Weapon-Droid-General (WDG) Crafting Tool.

If your goal is to have a very good crafting tool to use, then don't worry about making an improved Generic (since it apparently isn't meant to be possible). Work on making a 15.00 WDG instead. After I had my first WDG made, I never again had use for a Generic Crafting Tool.

If your goal is to have a 15.00 Generic crafting tool as a trophy, looks like maybe Savacc has a method to get it done. (I never tried, so I don't know.)

In order to experiment while crafting, you need to do your crafting while next to a crafting station of the same type as the crafting tool you are using. Going with the example of using a WDG Crafting Tool, you would need to stand next to a WDG Crafting Station.

Reinforcing what TradeMaster said: The material you use matters, too. When making crafting tools, the higher your resource's Conductivity stat is, the better your results will be. And copper tends to have the highest conductivity of all the metals.
[Wash] ----- Reading minds? That sounds like science fiction.
[Zoe] ----- We live on a spaceship, dear.
[Wash] ----- So?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:34 am

Much of this discussion, especially how to craft yourself the über best crafting tool, is discussed in Beginners Guide for Traders at the old SWGCraft.com. Have a look at chapter 11.

Though the guide is not 100% accurate anymore I don't think that much is outdated, just that new content is added to the game. The basics is the same.

May the Force guide you

/Z

awek
Novice Crafter

Post by awek » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Zimoon wrote:May the Force guide you
or if you prefer:

"May the guide force you."

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:02 pm

awek wrote:
Zimoon wrote:May the Force guide you
or if you prefer:

"May the guide force you."
:lol:

ralgur
Novice Crafter

Found out how :)

Post by ralgur » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:33 pm

I really tried to find the answer, but I couldn't figure it out until AFTER I posted this thread... That always seems to work.

Thanks for all the great replies.