Resource Caps

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Resource Caps

Post by Oceans » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:50 pm

I have a question please? I would like to know if, for instance, I have Doonium Iron and Kammris Iron. This is hypothetical, because I don't know caps off the top of my head. If the Kammris Iron is better in Unit Toughness than the Doonium Iron is, say Kammris is 910 UT, but the Doonium Iron is capped at, for instance 725, which one is better? The Kammris is not capped at 910, because the cap is say 1000. But the Doonium is at 725. Which one would I use in a schematic that just needed Iron, not specific Iron, but just Iron.
I hope I have worded this where the readers will understand what I am trying to say. My gut says that the Kammris would be better to use as generic iron than the Doonium, because the number is overall higher. But it confuses me that the Doonium is capped at 725 and might be better at getting 100%? Thanks for reading and answering!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource Caps

Post by Zimoon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Does the following help you?

Zimoon
Captured001.png
Captured001.png (19.88 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
Probably not, because the real answer is: What does the schematic ask for?

In regards to cap it is the schematic that is king, always :)

More on that in chapter 8 in Beginners Guide for Traders, nearby.

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Post by Oceans » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Thats what I am trying to say. If the schematic calls for Iron, not any specific Iron, just Iron in general, which would be better?
:
For instance, Doonium Iron, Heat Resist is capped at 956. I have Doonium Iron that is at its cap on Heat Rst., 956. Kammris Iron, Heat Resist is capped at 1000. I have Kammris Iron that is at 972. If a schematic calls for any kind of Iron, not Doonium or Kammris or any other specific, just Iron, which would be better? The one capped at 956, or the one with Higher number 972? Would I get 100% out of the Doonium at 956, or would the Higher number be better on the Kammris? Say the schematic said OQ 50%, Heat Resist 50% Which one would get me the best Heat Resist? The cap 956, or the non cap 972? Or say I got Plumbum, at cap 581. Which would be better to use?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm

If it just calls for iron, the higher number is always better. In fact the higher number is always better period.
In your example, use the Kammris. In deed, whenever you see just "iron" you are probably going to use a Kammris (or Mustafar) Iron.
Caps are figured by what the schematic calls for, not which resource you fill it with.

Oceans
Novice Crafter

Post by Oceans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Allright! Thank you very much guys for your response and help! I really appreciate it!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, I am sorry but was in some kind of hurry and had that image around for some odd reason. Stupid of me.

Savacc is correct, always the higher value.

The reason is that if the schematic calls for a class, say Metal, then it completely ignores any other cap. Consider it the schematic is color blind and only sees that it is Metal, no nuances whatsoever. But it knows everything about Metal :D

That is why we say "schematic is king" --- it determines which caps to look at, if it is Metal it does not matter how great a Kammris or whatever it is. But this is discussed in detail in the guide, study the continued example in chapter 8 and you will get the idea.

/Zimoon