Surveying Devices

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Branchh
Novice Crafter

Surveying Devices

Post by Branchh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 pm

Every time I craft a Mineral Survey Device for Raine on Tansarii Point Station, it never shows in my Inventory, but it is always on my Datapad. How do I move it from my datapad to my Inventory, equip it and then give it to Raine?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Surveying Devices

Post by Savacc » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Welcome to the game and our site Branchh. :D

It has been so long since I was on Tanarri Station, I hope I can remember enough to give you good advise. :roll:
First, the Mineral Survey Device icon in your datapad shows that you know the schematic for making a Mineral Survey Device, not an actual Device. To make a Survey Device, you need a Crafting Tool, which can be used to call up the schematic from your data pad.
If you have already advanced to this step and are using a Crafting Tool to make Survey Devices, but they are not appearing in your inventory (as they should), then you have, most likely, checked the box for "Practice Mode". A Crafting Tool in "Practice Mode" will not make the schematic, only "practice" making it. The resources are still used up and you still get XP for making it, but nothing is ever made. The purpose of "Practice Mode" is to craft for XP only. If you want to actually make something, uncheck the box for "Practice Mode". :wink:

Ild recommend you check out the Beginning Guide at the top of this forum page.

I deleted your duplicate post in the Chef Forum, this seems the more appropriate forum :D

Branchh
Novice Crafter

Practice Box

Post by Branchh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:05 am

I tried to find the "Practice B :D ox", but I have not seen it; Please point me to it.

Thanks again, your guidance is appreciated.

Edit- Im going to move this again. I think it belongs in your earlier thread on making Survey Devices
Savacc (Zimoon moved it originally)
Last edited by Savacc on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved this thread to the proper forum, this is a general crafting question, I hope you do not mind :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Practice Box

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 am

When you do craft something you are using a crafting tool, named Tuned Crafting Tool. A number of windows show up, sometimes skipped over determined by the kind of item you do and if you are able to experiment (standing by a crafting station or a crafting-enabled droid) ...
  • select the schematic for the item to craft
  • add resources and if components are required you add them too
  • select craft prototype, or experiment, or create manufacture schematic
  • if you select experiment,
    after finished with that the dialog turns up again with the options for prototype and manufacture
  • final screen, where you can edit the name of the item, lower left corner >> "Practice Mode"
Just be patient and get a good overview of each window you are working with.
Also, go get a good read of the Beginners Guide. We know that crafting is a lot more a challenge than in any other competitive game, but it is the challenge and the fun that comes with the complexity and diversity that makes us crafter in SWG to stick with it for years in and years out :D

Indeed, the guide is long, but at least the few first chapters, and then get back to it time and time again. I know many crafters naming themselves "veterans" that still has lots to learn from it 8)

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:44 am

Im not positive that your problem is the "Practice Mode" checkbox, I just think that is the most likely solution to what you are describing and where I think you should look first.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:32 am

I fully agree with Savacc.
Yesterday I thought of two options, practice box was one of them. The other one is if you selected "Create Manufacture Schematic" rather than "Create Prototype" which is the one that creates an item. But the option for manufacture schematics only shows up if you stand in the same room as a crafting station and I doubt this is not the case at Tansarii Point Station, at least I think there is none.

So, if neither option is applicable I guess there is a bug never heard of. In that case I think it is easier that you create a new toon and consider this experience a lost case. However, I have never ever heard of that kind of bug, but if it is, please give us some feedback so we can see if it is possible to reproduce. Trader kind? Details on which quests you did prior to this? Which options and steps taken while talking to Raine? Which windows did you open to continue? Which options and steps taken while crafting? This community goes far out of its way to help the Devs find the bugs, believe me :mrgreen:

Greetings
/Zimoon