Q would you buy sub-comps if you can make them yourself?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Q would you buy sub-comps if you can make them yourself?

Post by NaeBliss » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 pm

I was thinking of selling sub-comp, say adv turbo fluidic drilling pomp unit BER 21 (100%), would that sell or will you (traders) think ill make it myself?

and if so i batches from 100 500 or maybe 1000?

im asking here because on trade forum im sure someone will start a rant or a flame . you guys i trust :-))

greetz Naeb

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Re: Q would you buy sub-comps if you can make them yourself?

Post by Tech Twin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:19 pm

I think if a trader is established and actively mining resources there is little need to purchase capped sub-comps that I can't make myself. If I'm newer and don't have my library of resources yet it might be a different situation; however, new traders might not have the credits to buy capped comps if their craft is their only source of income.

I wouldn't bother selling things like mining units but I do sell the comps that other traders need at both grind quaity and capped quality and make a good living at it too.

The Namasoon Zoo as featured on Garva's "Home Show"; Nostalgia from SWG of Old!

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 pm

If they were properly priced I would buy pre-made subcombines to speed up the process and reduce my material usage.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:05 am

What I used to do with subcomponants like that is put them up on a vendor at a price I thought was reasonable. If they sold, fine, if they didn't, I knew where they were when I needed them. :D

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:34 am

k thx guys for the replies.

Ill put some on a vendor and see , like savacc said , sounds good.

greetz.!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:35 am

I am with Savacc on this one, some players seem to buy them, and of course others do not.

/Zim

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:01 pm

I'm a Chef, there are times that I need a sub from someone else for something small. A guildie of mine also found a vendor that was selling some subs fairly cheap, so he was able to use them to make 2nd level subs and sell back enough to cover his expenses! There's a market for it, like all have said before, it's all in the pricing.
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 am

I agree with the others, that for "grind" components, you have a couple markets:
1) lazy crafters, busy crafters, or people who really need more factories than they can get - these people are looking for factory runs in bulk, bagged up for their convenience, even better if you deliver. Walls and casks come immediately to mind, as these items take up inordinate amounts of factory time.
2) cheapskates (sorry!), who are always looking for a really good bargain - these folks will only buy dirt cheap components, and it may not be worth your time to cater to them.
3) folks reliant on components outside of their professions - smiths who need tailor crates, for example.

But for quality components, those metrics shift. Established crafters will usually focus on these areas themselves, with their own materials, and that is how they keep their profit margins tenable. In other words, most of the people in category 1 shift to category 2, unless they are stuck in category 3. On the other hand, the "respec" market opens up to you - people who, say, respec munitions for the day, to make themselves a custom suit of armor, and are willing to pay a premium for primus cores to save themselves the hassle. Other quality-crafts (shipwright, chef, weaponsmith, etc) have less success with this, as exp suits are generally required for the final combine (not so with armorsmiths), but there's still a potential market there aiming at new (but not noob) crafters with the cash to buy-in to a profession.

I also do what Savacc does: put up a vendor with all my sub-components, which functions for both storage and sales. If they sell, awesome. If not, I'll use them eventually. :)
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 am

I don't see it as lazy to buy sub-combines from another crafter personally I see it as the way crafting was meant to be.

Where things fall apart is with pricing as far too often people have capped sub-combines on the market for more than the final product will sell for so I would suggest that anyone selling sub-combines should spend a reasonable amount of time evaluating their server for the price of the final product.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

I just want to chime in with MB here, I would not say "lazy". It can in fact be the opposite, even if it is not every crafter that is outsold faster than s/he can replenish.

After all, this is an MMO and if some Trader wants to spend more time with other stuff than feeding factories, that is a good thing as it nurtures the interaction in the game. Way to many Traders have a playing style that completely lacks the business aspect of their profession, except from "selling" and cooperation within many guilds. More "business" would not hurt.

/Zimoon

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:16 pm

thx all for the input! after my vacation ill set up the vendor, and see what happens :-)

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Right - except that I didn't say buying sub-combines was lazy. I said, lazy crafters would be among your potential customers (along with busy crafters, people short factories, cheapskates, interdependents, and respecs.) Buying components doesn't make you lazy, but some lazy crafters do buy components. See? :)
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Tinsel wrote:Right - except that I didn't say buying sub-combines was lazy. I said, lazy crafters would be among your potential customers (along with busy crafters, people short factories, cheapskates, interdependents, and respecs.) Buying components doesn't make you lazy, but some lazy crafters do buy components. See? :)

Sounds like political double talk to me! BURN HIM!

:twisted:

okay, just kidding. It made sense to me the first time around... I just miss the good old days of Heracy Burnings.

/shrug

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 am

Reading it that way, Tinsel, it makes sense. I rather read it as their opposite, not that they came hand in hand. My bad 8)

Tech Twin
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tech Twin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:43 pm

I think its just a case of misunderstand due to not being able to hear his tone of voice and syllabic inflection. The biggest short-coming of text based communication, unfortunately.

:)

But we should still BURN HIM! You know, on principle.

:twisted: