help for beginners like me, didnt see it in sticky?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

help for beginners like me, didnt see it in sticky?

Post by NaeBliss » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am

i found this website, that is linked to swgcraft for getting resources its very handy for seeing what you need to make say a structure factory.

It looks at swgcraft for curent resources and puts them in a list.

So if i select deed for structure factory, i see directly what i need for resources and subcomponents, and wich resources are in spawn.

its TraderSWG.com.

Again this might be in a faq somewhere but then i missed it.

greetz

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: help for beginners like me, didnt see it in sticky?

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 am

These sites are nice, but they have one major flaw, they do not provide any means to submit data to here whatsoever. That means, they suck data from here but does not care for supporting this site.

Too many users live in oblivion of the fact that this site is user driven and if nobody submits data to here the data here, and on such sites, quickly become outdated.

I have even seen people whining that SWGCraft sucks because it is not up-to-date on resources :shock: :roll: :cry:

I am no big fan of third-party stuff that do not support this site but just abuses it. I honor the features they provide but personally I will not promote them. But that's just me and others might have other strong opinions.

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 am

Zimoon wrote:These sites are nice, but they have one major flaw, they do not provide any means to submit data to here whatsoever. That means, they suck data from here but does not care for supporting this site.

Too many users live in oblivion of the fact that this site is user driven and if nobody submits data to here the data here, and on such sites, quickly become outdated.

I have even seen people whining that SWGCraft sucks because it is not up-to-date on resources :shock: :roll: :cry:

I am no big fan of third-party stuff that do not support this site but just abuses it. I honor the features they provide but personally I will not promote them. But that's just me and others might have other strong opinions.

/Zimoon
I think you have overlooked this...
http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... =29&t=1209

The developer has consulted and worked with this site from the beginning of his project as far as I can see.

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 am

Zimoon wrote:These sites are nice, but they have one major flaw, they do not provide any means to submit data to here whatsoever. That means, they suck data from here but does not care for supporting this site.

Zimoon

he does give credits to this site, and says he has permission , so one of you must be wrong. :wink:
i think its a handy site, especially combined with this one.
Dont know it its updated on schem but for me it works.

in fact he wrote: " And as far as the interoperability you brought up that Zimoon also picked up on, I have sent a PM to the SWGC admins about incorporating the tool into swg craft instead of being stand alone, so we'll see what happens down that road... Fingers crossed I might be able to help out on here a bit! "

And cant the database be blocked from outside useage?

greetz

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:00 pm

NaeBliss wrote:
he does give credits to this site, and says he has permission , so one of you must be wrong. :wink:
None of us are wrong, you just interpreted my sentence the wrong way 8)
This site does indeed export its current data, under some rules, so it is not disallowed.
Giving credit is one thing, giving support is another, they are very often not the same.
I said support, in the sense of being able to submit data back to here. As far as I know only SWGAide has such features, in fact, the first such feature it provided was support for ISDroid reports. Today you can submit data in more ways, SWGAide is most handy for submitting data on creature resources using an in-game notes file as mediator.

I expressed my opinion, I do not want an argue with any other developers :|

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:21 pm

Monty Burns wrote:I think you have overlooked this...
http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... =29&t=1209

The developer has consulted and worked with this site from the beginning of his project as far as I can see.
I just said I do not want to argue with anybody. In the past I have seen IO's posts, I have browsed the thread again and nothing in it says he has "consulted and worked with this site", there are some minor responses from Sobuno of negligible value.

Just to be clear and to avoid a flame war or a bashing thread (which I will nuke if that happens), I have nothing against any 3rd party developer out there. I do not even see them as competitors to SWGAide, should you think so. I have nothing against IO, he seems to be a nice guy to me and have provided much help to the community here. I am just not willing to promote sites or applications that does not provide the means to fully support SWGCraft. However, in many replies to people I have pointed towards such sites/applications as a direct response to their questions.

And the reasons for my personal opinion on this topic can be read in other threads, but it boils down to:
Individuals using these sights and applications often overlook the fact that SWGCraft is user driven and that they can be part of submitting data. When some of these even curse SWGCraft for not being up-to-date, then I am done. Personally I prefer nourishing above debilitating users 8)

Sincerely

/Zimoon

PS: Why IO has got no response from the Devs at this site, or if he has by now, I don't know and I cannot be held responsible for it either ;)

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:37 pm

/agree m8 i didnt wanted to start a flame war, as newbie i thought it would be handy.

your points are clear an valid m8.

srry if i upset anybody, that wasnt my intention. :cry:

cya soon!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:24 pm

No worries, I've said it before and say it again, I am usually a most laid back guy close to a laugh :mrgreen:

/Zimoon

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Zimoon wrote:No worries, I've said it before and say it again, I am usually a most laid back guy close to a laugh :mrgreen:

/Zimoon

Well I am going to argue a bit because IO did ask for ideas on how he could get his site users contributing here and I know I couldn't think of any outside adding links back here and encouraging people to use this site, he posted his request for ideas here and everyone had an opportunity to contribute, he has also offered his services here so I am not sure what else he really could have done.

So to turn around and effectively say sites like his are more or less leeching from this site is rather inappropriate in my opinion.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:31 pm

Monty Burns wrote:Well I am going to argue a bit because IO did ask for ideas on how he could get his site users contributing here and I know I couldn't think of any outside adding links back here and encouraging people to use this site, he posted his request for ideas here and everyone had an opportunity to contribute, he has also offered his services here so I am not sure what else he really could have done.

So to turn around and effectively say sites like his are more or less leeching from this site is rather inappropriate in my opinion.
I am well aware of the communication back in those days. I have no control over what Slyvampy decides, permits, or denies, in fact I have no idea what is discussed by the Devs internally. I can feel the frustration though, even if I cannot help or anything else.

On the technical side, there is the SOAP server which is posted about somewhere, it can be used by any client, including other sites. So there is no lack of means what I can see.

Still, we all struggle with one fact, the current player base in SWG does not provide the necessary momentum to divide and conquer between us. Would we be hundreds of thousands of Traders I guess we can afford several sites in parallel, but today I rather see some joint forces, not steering people away from here and not giving anything back. Even if it is, on a personal level, fun and rewarding to develop applications or web sites, sometimes it may be counterproductive.

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Wrote a long reply, computer timed me out....

In short:

Can't remember anything regarding adopting IO's site.

Regarding his willingness to help develop SWGCraft: Slyvampy mentioned some hurdles that needed to be overcome first: First, we need a version control system (I have primarily been developing the site single-handedly for a very long time now). Second, we need some kind of NDA to prevent people running off with the codebase.

Regarding sites not giving back: I can't see an easy way for sites to give resources back to this site (Yes, there is SOAP, but that requires that the user is willing to input his username and password for SWGCraft on another site). I believe we primarily just need to let people know that this site is community-driven and that it doesn't just pull resources off the SOE database.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 am

Sobuno wrote:Wrote a long reply, computer timed me out....

In short:

Can't remember anything regarding adopting IO's site.

Regarding his willingness to help develop SWGCraft: Slyvampy mentioned some hurdles that needed to be overcome first: First, we need a version control system (I have primarily been developing the site single-handedly for a very long time now). Second, we need some kind of NDA to prevent people running off with the codebase.

Regarding sites not giving back: I can't see an easy way for sites to give resources back to this site (Yes, there is SOAP, but that requires that the user is willing to input his username and password for SWGCraft on another site). I believe we primarily just need to let people know that this site is community-driven and that it doesn't just pull resources off the SOE database.
The only thing I would like to see is a reciprocal links process which would make this site more of a hub for people to select what front end they wanted to use, as games age it gets harder and harder to find up to date and relevant web sites (just do a google search and see how many sites haven't been updated since 2005-06).