New Crafter / And player

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

fjaenal
Novice Crafter

New Crafter / And player

Post by fjaenal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:07 am

Probably is not the place, or at least the exact place to ask this type of questions. First of all i am going to start the 14 days trial (after this following weekend) and if i like it i plan to remain in the game. However I am an old player that quitted with NGE / CU updates, and never been a crafter before in this game.

After this little background here are the questions:
  • I am from EU and thinking on Infinity as server, Any Infinity crafer can tell me if its a good idea to start there?
  • As a new crafter, would I have problems trying to get cash / fun? Would I have problems trying to make my place within the market? Can this struggle kill the fun?
  • Are there any quests series (Apart from Tessari) that guides the crafter?
  • Should I focuse on space, or just leave it for a future?
  • I am thinking on Engineer or Munitioner, are they good for starter?
I have read the Zimoon guide, is really good and complete guide, maybe to many formulas for an starter but I really like it, however if anyone has another hint / tips, they would be welcomed.

Styphon / kormath / Kirgi
Last edited by Zimoon on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the missing list tags ,)

dmint
Novice Crafter

Re: New Crafter / And player

Post by dmint » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi I started two toons on bria a while back one munitions one engineer the munitions toon doent make any money overall as i concentrated on weapons and started him out as architect to get up to 90 quickly the other toon I started in engineer and follwed the make money while learning route. ie; sell stuff on the bazaar while making it and learning also building up resources. this has worked very well, that and selling geothermal resources. my engineer made most cash selling swoops I put them in all the popular bazaars around the galaxy this has worked very well for me. Good luck hope you enjoy and stay in game. PS; get the manufacturing macro's they are a boon you can alter them to produce stuff. :D

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:40 pm

There are a few other quests that you can follow once you hit dirt in Mos Eisley. If I remember right, the NPC is in the starport plaza, on the left as you walk out of the Port.

The easiest way to get credits as a young trader is to be a resource farmer. For example, I know on Flurry we have a really nice spawn on Mustafar and Lok that we have tons of people placing harvesters and AFK hand sampling. The stuff that's in spawn right now is selling for more than 10 credits per unit right now! I tend to leave my trader AFK overnight to take advantage of this.

I did the structure grind to 90, but I had a guild to help with resources so that was easy. If I had to do it over, I think I would have done the learning process, I had gotten to 90 nearly 3 years ago, but just now REALLY understanding my craft.
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

seung-mina
Novice Crafter

Post by seung-mina » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:26 pm

For your Serverchoice, don't go to Infinity. It's dead..really dead, despite the sayings of a few. I still have 2 toons there, and it doesn't matter at what time i log them on, there aren't more than 20 players in the search. Most of the former Infinityplayers transfered to Farstar. So Farstar or Chimeara would be a better choice in regard of populations.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:27 pm

I agree, Infinity was on the departure list for a reason, and it is not more populated after the emigration. I am playing at Europe-Chimaera and we definitely see a bunch of players all days of the week with less activity in the late night/early mornings, but it is never ever empty even in those sleepy hours.

If you have never played the trader before, stay away from speed grinding an learn as you go, keep an eye at that guide with the too many formulas, you'll need it later on. However, with some exceptions all trader professions but Architect (one of the legs in Structure) will not have much to sell until Master. Plus Architect can sell from day one, and a few houses a week is not a bad income starting from scratch. Plus you will level up the fastest even if you don not craft in practice mode one single item. Stash away Walls wherever you can put them, they can be used later on, as do Generators once you learn them. Minus Architect is more resource hungry than the others, so start pulling up Ore as soon as you can and get yourself recyclers for at least Ore and Metal. Later you can respec to any other Master trader, even though you have to read up on that profession at that point.

Quests, not at all, on the contrary, SOE has deliberately (???) not given us any quests at all. Nothing like the Legacy, nothing, void, vacuum, empty as inside a stormtroopers skull :evil:

Space is cool, but SW is both resource hungry and calling for high-quality resources which you do not have as a rookie, plus you must be a Master to do the best stuff. Not all of it requires that, but ... However, do the Pilot lines and you will have fun, looting space stuff of which you can sell the crap to the NPC in star ports for a good bunch of credits, RE some for practice and those lucky (name???) things you want, and keep the goodies for later use in whatever fashion.

Engineer is becoming the flavor-of-the-month in next chapter (or GU?), but right now it is not that good. Munition, once you are Master and have stocked up on resources (read that as after about 4 to 6 months) you can make really good credits. weapons have always been in demand, and will always be. Since they are bio-linked these days there is no real 2nd-hand market--no need for decay these days :roll: AS is equally good, but also that has quite a steep starting curve.

DE can be really interesting when that upgrade comes, thus, while learning the trade as an Architect only to switch later on, keep an eye at everything posted about it and stock up on what you find will be used then. Possibly the Devs do not change too much schematics resource-wise, so use SWGCraft (and maybe SWGAide) to see when the best stuff is around and hoard it for future use. Stay prepared and your business will get a kick-start with that upgrade.

Finally, welcome around, hopefully we can swing a Jawa Beer in Mining Outpost, Dantooine, one day :D

/Zimoon

fjaenal
Novice Crafter

Post by fjaenal » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Well, first thanks a lot for the answers, they have been really helpful.
About the servers, I may try Chimera-EU, as long as its in EU its good for me.

About the path to choose, well I'll see it but Architect may be a good option too.

Again thanks for the help :):):):)

Other Questions:
Is there any collection that may be interesting for a Trader?
Any place I should visit?
Should I join a PA?

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

fjaenal wrote:
Other Questions:
Is there any collection that may be interesting for a Trader?
Any place I should visit?
Should I join a PA?
PAs always help, especially since they may have scraps laying around you can use.

There is the resource scavenger pet collection could be helpful if you are going to be hand sampling.

Visit the section of the main page here for resources that are in spawn and quality. :wink:

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:12 pm

Yepp, I chime in with fridge and say that having friends in a guild can never be wrong, rather the opposite. There are so many things you want help with, and a guild can always use a good dedicated crafter so it works both ways.

/Zimoon

fjaenal
Novice Crafter

Re: New Crafter / And player [More Questions]

Post by fjaenal » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Gonna continue to use this thread (so I don't spamm the main page). Well I have finished the Tesarii and Mos Eisly Gendra Quests. SO I guess is time to stablish some protocol as a trader. Well here are my new qustions:
[*] What Should I do in order to learn how the quality of different resources affect my products?
[*] Should I start with something in particular? or just gathering resources?
[*] A good place (web site) for macros?

Any tip should be nice I am feeling a bit lost right now, and I am just level 8.

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Re: New Crafter / And player [More Questions]

Post by fridge33sam » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:15 pm

fjaenal wrote:Gonna continue to use this thread (so I don't spamm the main page). Well I have finished the Tesarii and Mos Eisly Gendra Quests. SO I guess is time to stablish some protocol as a trader. Well here are my new qustions:
[*] What Should I do in order to learn how the quality of different resources affect my products?
If you are good at reading numbrs and math, the go straight to the main page of this site and pick a schematic that you can make. The right side of the schematic page will tell you the math of what is effected by the different values of a resource. If you are not good at math, like me, then it's just a matter of experimentation. Use different combinations, and the crafting screen will also guide you with color coding about the quality bonuses/negatives from your resources.

[*] Should I start with something in particular? or just gathering resources?
Gathering resources will never be the wrong way to go. Especially since you can sell them for cash. As a Engineer/Munis trader, I couldn't tell you what to make, I'm sure someone will.

[*] A good place (web site) for macros?
Look for the beginner's guide in the forums here. They have the best information for that.

Any tip should be nice I am feeling a bit lost right now, and I am just level 8.
Hope all that helps.