Veteran player returning after 3+ years...lots of questions

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

thelodious
Novice Crafter

Veteran player returning after 3+ years...lots of questions

Post by thelodious » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi all! I have recently returned to SWG and am looking to take up my crafting mantle once again. I am still in the process of reading through the extensive knowledge on this site and hope you won't mind a few questions.

I havent yet decided which crafting route I will take. In days gone by I was a weaponsmith and may take that route again since I enjoyed it however I would like to take a profession that has some demand. Since they got rid of decay, are there any professions that are in greater need/demand?

Also, I am going through and trying to figure out what all of this means. I have a house and am working on gathering some resources. Besides the following would one of you be kind enough to fill in the "duh" sections? I know that there must be some very basic things that I am missing that will improve my crafting that I am simply missing.

I have my expertise somewhat planned out (I think) but if anyone has a build they wouldnt mind sharing (and the reasons for that particular build) I would love to see it.

I know that I need to make myself top end crafting stations as well as kits.

I know about the entertainer buffs that will help with crafting, and I have seen references to random crafting based gear that will improve your skill. Can someone point me towards an idiots guide to this? Basically I need to know what I should be wearing, and at least a place to start looking for it.

Resource shifts? Back before I quit, resources all spawned/despawned at the same time...is that no longer true? Basically meaning you must survey every day to see what is currently spawned?

Oh, I also have the 30k resource reward sitting in my house among other things. I understand that it can be used to tell what resources are spawned currently? can anyone shed some light on that?

I am sure that I will have a ton more questions as I continue to read through the site. Thank you for putting up with my noobishness.

Theloniouss of Shadowfire

MoonDragn
Apprentice Crafter

Re: Veteran player returning after 3+ years...lots of questions

Post by MoonDragn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 pm

I have only just returned to SWG after 5 years of being away so I had more of a catching up to do than you have. So far it has been a month of constant reading and I think I'm finally up to speed on this and will hopefully give you some of my insight.

There is not one trader profession that has higher demand than another. It is just a matter of perception. Consumable goods usually see the highest demand because obviously they are gone after being used. Weapons and Armor on the other hand, since they do not decay, see less demand. However, there is a huge price gap between the two types. So while weapons and armor don't sell as much units, they sell for much more than the consumables usually.

There are exceptions of course, like the consumables for bio-engineering that can cost sometimes more than some weapons or armor.

People tend to pay through the nose for the best, so capping a weapon or armor using the best resources becomes the quest of most traders, in hopes of drawing the customers. In that regard, every advantage like the best station, best tool, best buffs, best stat food, etc become a factor.

Stations as we found out recently has absolutely no effect on the quality of the crafted item according to the Devs, it apparently broke some time a few years back and was never fixed.
I am not sure what effect the quality of the crafting tool has, if any. However, you cannot craft certain items without being next to a station using a specific crafting tool, so they are required for crafting certain items. You can also experiment only when next to a station.

For what you should be wearing, all of your armor, clothing weapon etc can be crafted with a socket, and you can put in these sockets skill enhancement attachements (SEAs).

These attachments can have up to 3 different stat modifiers, which will enhance your stats or skills when equiped. These attachments are created using the Reverse Engineering tool, using power bits and mods created from looted items and junk loot. See RE guide for more detail on this.

It is said that Luck helps crafting. It helps in giving out a Lucky break that may move your success level up one level. Other than that, it has no other apparent direct effect to crafting that we know of.

What definitely does have effect are Assembly and experimentation. Both of these are "exotic" mods you can craft into your SEA, meaning they can only go into 3 types of items: Armor Chest piece, Weapon, or clothing chest piece.

Armor chest pieces and weapons can also be further enhanced during the crafting process by the creation of an Armor or weapon power bit (not to be confused with a normal power bit used to create SEAs), but at only 25% efficiency of the power of the bit. IE, a +35 luck mod would be reduced to 35*.25 = 8.75 rounded down to 8. You can craft your weapon/armor chestplate with only one of these.

Another thing you can create using the same power bits and modifiers is whats called a power up. There are 3 types, weapon, armor and clothing. These are like temporary buffs that stack with the stats on the clothing/armor/weapon with sockets. Powerups can only boost one skill/stat each.

There is a +25 cap on how much the skill modifiers can affect you. However, this does not apply to the basic 6 stats (strength, constitution, luck etc..)

To summarize, for a weaponsmith, you should put luck on all of your armor/weapon sockets, along with Weapon Assembly and Experimentation on your Clothes chest piece, your armor chest piece, and weapon and use powerups for assembly or experimentation up to the +25 cap.

For weaponsmith expertise, just take the whole left side of Munitions, or the whole right side of Engineering. Plus all of the resource quality expertise and the RE chance in the general section if you are an engineer and want to do some RE on weapons.

The 30k reward can be used without actually picking the resource you want. When you use it, it shows you a list of resources that ever spawned on the server along with their stats. Thats how people use it to track the current spawns, by using a survey droid to get the names of the resources on each planet, and matching the names to the stats in the 30k resource reward.

As for the resource shifts, the same resource on each planet still spawns at the same time, and despawns at the same time. Not every current resource will spawn on every planet. Resources from the JTL expansion will always spawn on one of the planets, and they tend to last longer than the usual resource types.

Whew that was a long post, hope that helped.

thelodious
Novice Crafter

Post by thelodious » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

It does help clarify some things, and I thank you for the time it took to write it. Now, to get back in game and try to put some of that info to use.

Again, thank you very much!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Welcome around Thelodious :D

Find the stickied guides in each forum board, and ask away if something is missing :)

/Zimoon

thelodious
Novice Crafter

Post by thelodious » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:50 pm

it isnt so much that anything is missing, it is making sense of the information overload that exists =)

but thank you for the welcome! I am definitely having fun learning all this stuff again, just trying to make sense of some of the finer points...like some resource gathering pet I keep hearing about. Looking into that now.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:33 am

3+ years ago, That would be pre NGE, right? Were you also pre CU? Crafting Suits should have been around back then, especially for Weaponsmiths. You may recall they were the way to become an "11 point" or "12 point" crafter. Those old suits will still work, if you had one, otherwise you need to look into one as MoonDragon has suggested.
Resources you have misstated a bit, but you got the important thing right, you should come here to SWGCraft every day to check on them.
Ill echo Zimoon and suggest you read the guides and ask questions. Come to think of it, if I just repeat anything Z says, Ill be giving you better advise then I could write on my own. :lol:

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:41 am

Savacc wrote:3+ years ago, That would be pre NGE, right? Were you also pre CU?:
The NGE was launched on the 15th of November 2005, as far as I recall. I left three days later and never came back. :'(

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Tyfo wrote:
The NGE was launched on the 15th of November 2005, as far as I recall. I left three days later and never came back. :'(
Ha, I joined about a week or so befor ethe NGE launch, I didn't even know what happened until it was too late! i remember I was trying to do the Rebel Theme park at the time. The next time I logged in I was given an option to keep the current system of things or change, I think that was GCW perhaps?
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Tyfo wrote:
At that time I was very close to leave too, NGE came as a disabled fetus and was hardly possible to play. Plus that crafting was limited to a pastime, at best.

Today I would rather say that you miss out not playing SWG. Not that SWG can measure with WoW instance-wise, with modern games graphic-wise, or other games in some other aspects, but overall there are few, if any game, that can measure with all that comes with SWG. Certainly so with crafting which today is back into business. Being a well-stocked WS today is as rewarding as ever, just to mention one.

Welcome back Tyfo, meet me at Chimaera, at ME Cantina we can swing a Blue Beer together :D

/Zimoon

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Tyfo wrote:
At that time I was very close to leave too, NGE came as a disabled fetus and was hardly possible to play. Plus that crafting was limited to a pastime, at best.

Today I would rather say that you miss out not playing SWG. Not that SWG can measure with WoW instance-wise, with modern games graphic-wise, or other games in some other aspects, but overall there are few, if any game, that can measure with all that comes with SWG. Certainly so with crafting which today is back into business. Being a well-stocked WS today is as rewarding as ever, just to mention one.

Welcome back Tyfo, meet me at Chimaera, at ME Cantina we can swing a Blue Beer together :D

/Zimoon
I haven't been away from the site, I just rarely post.

... and I'm still stuck in WoW. I dare not venture back into SWG.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Tyfo wrote:...

I meant a future welcome back to the game, but I see you point in "dare", addictions are evil things :twisted:
/Z

Tyfo
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Tyfo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Tyfo wrote:...

I meant a future welcome back to the game, but I see you point in "dare", addictions are evil things :twisted:
/Z
I've played WoW for more than double the time I played SWG, so addictions is not the problem. :p

It just doesn't seem very fun anymore, especially because none seem to be playing it anymore.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Tyfo wrote:... especially because none seem to be playing it anymore.
I guess that depends on two things
  • Which galaxy you are at, choose one of the populated galaxies and you will see people everywhere, Chimaera for example since you are Denmark == Europe. But yes, I left Gorath mainly since it was not as populated as back when I started.
  • You have not really visited anything to see so you don't know, and you don't dare 8)
Sorry dude, I couldn't resist, but on the other side, I still have nice memories of you from back then :)

/Zimoon

Tinsel
I came here on the bandwagon

Post by Tinsel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Tyfo wrote:... especially because none seem to be playing it anymore.
I guess that depends on two things
  • Which galaxy you are at, choose one of the populated galaxies and you will see people everywhere/Zimoon
I have to agree with Zimoon. Starsider hits 'Extremely Heavy' basically starting in the afternoon until late at night (primetime US). It's not only not empty, it's dramatically overcrowded! Bria (along with 4-5 other servers) are often 'Heavy' in the evenings as well. Stay away from the transfer-from servers and you'll be overwhelmed with fellow players.
Haunna Tanotalos, Elder Chef et al.
-4050 +870, Dantooine, Starsider
http://www.jademoon.org

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:43 am

mmmm maybe i should move to Starsider then, im on chim now but its not that crowded, battlefields, space, pvp just not so many peeps. (guildmembers are hard to find online)
Could be the hours i play, either in the morning , like 9:00 til 12:00 am, or in the early evenings 20:00-23:00 pm.

btw srry for hyjacking your post :-)