Crafting Stations. The Good News and The Bad News.

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Reeth
I came here on the bandwagon

Crafting Stations. The Good News and The Bad News.

Post by Reeth » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Since I've not seen this mentioned over here apart from an oblique reference in the Luck thread, I thought I'd write something about it as I have a spare few minutes. (New thread since it still has very little to do with Luck).

The Good News:

Savacc's excellent guide to making crafting stations has a lot to say about all the bugged schematics involved in the process. As a result of the forthcoming (and waaaaaaaaaay overdue) Engineer update, these schematics have finally been looked at...

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=933505
Rasal (the Engineer Senator) wrote:Hanse has officially fixed #3 of our Top Five issues, coming in Game Update 12: The 99% experimenting bug on certain Artisan equipment (including the Droid Storage Compartment) has been rooted out and corrected. Starting with GU12, we will finally be able to allow Structure Traders to craft perfect crafting stations.
So you will all finally be able to get one of those +45 crafting stations you've been wanting for Christmas, and Savacc may have to update his guide. OK, so maybe not such good news for Savacc, but for everyone else, yes?

The Bad News:

Savacc's excellent guide to making crafting stations also says that it was possible in the past to make the components for +45 stations. This same (did I mention overdue?) Engineer update has turned up something else of interest...

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=936388
Rasal (the Engineer Senator) wrote:FYI: While Hanse was digging around to root out the main cause of the bug with the Droid Storage Compartment, he discovered a pretty shocking bug with private crafting stations (the Structures ones, not the droid-based ones): Somewhere along the line, the Functional Rating on them broke. Currently, the rating does absolutely nothing.
So, if you are Lucky enough to have a +45 station already, I hope you didn't pay too much for it. :twisted:

It wasn't stated how long they have been broken, but it's probably been quite a while.

Well I thought it was funny!

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Crafting Stations. The Good News and The Bad News.

Post by Savacc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 am

I cancelled my SWG accounts for the summer and havent checked the SOE site because I cant post there without an active acount. Thankyou for bringing this to my (and others) attention. This is really great news. I will happily edit (or maybe just delete) my Crafting Station guide. :D Ill wait till the update goes live and we actually see what has changed, since there seems to be a lot of speculation at the moment.

That the functionality bonus to Crafting Stations is broken is no surprise to me. I have always noticed that if there was any bonus to Crafting Stations it was extreamly small. Some have asked how long the functionality was broken? My oppinion would be, since the start of the game. I have never seen that Crafting Stations ever gave a bonus, nor heard from other crafters that they thought they could see a difference.

We will have to wait and see, but my bet is that Crafting Stations will give bonuses to the Assembly and Experimentation rolls, simular to Poly Cake and Bespin Port. This is what we have always thought the bonus they were supposed to be giving was. This should mean a crafter with a high rated Station will get more "amazing successes" then they can now. I hope the bonus is not so high that "amazings" are somehow guarenteed. I would recommend the devs not let the bonus go that far, but when have they ever listened to me? :roll:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:12 am

Didn't I post about this somewhere, I must have grown a dementia 8)

Without personal analysis I still oppose Savacc's "never"; I remember a quite solid report of the bonus back when I was quite new in SWG, in the autumn 2004, which showed a difference. What makes me remember the report so clearly is that it showed some interesting anomalies around each 10th of the stations functionality added to the rating of the crafting tool, that is, a 15.00 tool + a 35.00 station was significantly better than the same tool with a 30 to 34.9 something station. This repeated for every 10 as in 30, 40, 50, but it could not include the 60 due to the broken stations.

The report was about series of 100s of tries each. However, the authors admitted that it still was not possible to make statistically safe conclusions from it. And we all know that at times we see or read what we prefer to be read or seen, fanatically so :twisted:

This was just the long-winded way to say that I am not 100% convinced either way.

The next questions in relation to this is:
  • Even if the Devs now makes the bonus to work again, what impact will it have on our crafting?
  • Since it already is so easy to cap our produce (assuming you are a master), without this bonus, would it really make a difference to have it?
  • Will the SOE Devs nerf something related to amazings to make this bonus stand out and have a purpose?
I am only asking, I have no insight on this one, but today, IMHO it does not really matter for masters, only for fledgling traders, to have a 45.00 station unless something else is "balanced" to make room for its impact. What and how, to me it does not matter as long as it continues to be a challenge to craft and stay at the top 8)

Zimoon

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 pm

I probably get into more trouble using words like "never" and "always" then any other. :roll:

Speaking of words, when "produce" is used as a noun, it generally (but not always :wink: ) refers to agricultural products: fruits and vegetables. Famers produce produce, manufactures produce products. So in your second bullet, Z, I would have changed it from "Sinse it already is so easy to cap our produce" to "cap our products".

We will have to wait and see what we get from the devs when this goes live. Ill have to depend on the rest of you to keep me informed till I can start playing the game again. Can you tell I miss it already? :lol:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Lingua discussion continued in http://www.swgcraft.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1849 not to derail this thread 8)

Choctaw Tyvarr
Novice Crafter

Post by Choctaw Tyvarr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:44 am

Spent a short time away from SWG but back now and was reading over some things and came across this post.

I know or should i say belive that most all games / MMO's have bugs in them from the start and seems that dev's can never get them all fixed aka exterminated. If and when they get bugs fixed it seams to me something else breaks or a new bug is discovered.

Maybe SOE should invest in some Raid !! lol :twisted:
The Pack Rat

Arlin5000
Novice Crafter

Post by Arlin5000 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:41 pm

It's funny that I happened on this post less than a week after telling my nephew that he was stupid for crafting in his house with his very low crafting stations when he could craft at my house with my higher crafting stations and city crafting bonus. But when he got there and made the exact same thing over and over it was no better. And yes I am sure it was something that had stats I just don't remember what it was.
I have thought about doing a couple tests myself to see what is going on but it sounds like the devs know about it and might fix it. I just hope they don't nerf anything else.

redwhitenblue
Apprentice Crafter

Post by redwhitenblue » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 am

So has anyone looked into this since GU12? I haven't gotten around to asking UncleFester to make me new components to test this out mostly cuz I forget what I was gonna ask him once I see him log in lol.
Akhor Slaga, Architect; Akihawa Aceric, Chef
Catalina Market, Rori, Flurry
1548, 75, -5884

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:52 pm

I dont have an active account yet, but have followed this on the SOE forums. The bug in the artisan subcomponents was fixed and they can be experimented to 100% now. So everyone can make +45 Crafting Stations. The devs also reported that they fixed the broken functionality ratings so that Crafting Stations now give a "slight bonus" to the Experimentation Roll. Some posters over there are saying they cant see a difference in the crafting they have done since GU12. The functionality fix is retroactive. If you had a +45 Station made before GU12, the bonus (however slight it may be) will be the same as a +45 made now. The fix to the subcomponents is not retroactive. If you want to make +45 Stations, you have to make new subcomponents.

Link to a thread on the SOE forums

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:55 pm

Savacc wrote:I dont have an active account yet, but have followed this on the SOE forums. The bug in the artisan subcomponents was fixed and they can be experimented to 100% now. So everyone can make +45 Crafting Stations. The devs also reported that they fixed the broken functionality ratings so that Crafting Stations now give a "slight bonus" to the Experimentation Roll. Some posters over there are saying they cant see a difference in the crafting they have done since GU12. The functionality fix is retroactive. If you had a +45 Station made before GU12, the bonus (however slight it may be) will be the same as a +45 made now. The fix to the subcomponents is not retroactive. If you want to make +45 Stations, you have to make new subcomponents.

Link to a thread on the SOE forums
Well, I can confirm the +45 can be made. I've been cranking them out since yesterday and now a full set of them. As far as the functionality goes, I'm not sure, but it may be working properly now. While I have been getting a few more amazings since I made them, they are by no means guaranteed.

On another side of this, I just got back recently myself so I'm not sure if this was always like this, but are the machines only supposed to work if you are in the same room as them? I just put a set of 45s in the back room of my mall, and when I'm in the central room I don't have the bonus at the top.

NaeBliss
Apprentice Crafter

Post by NaeBliss » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:17 pm

you have to be close to the station , when the icon comes under your name your close enough.

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:05 am

NaeBliss wrote:you have to be close to the station , when the icon comes under your name your close enough.
The funny thing is I only noticed it today when crossing the threshold to the room they are in, I'm within 4m of them at the entrance and it doesn't pop up the icon under my name until I cross into the room.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:07 am

thegreywolfe wrote:
NaeBliss wrote:you have to be close to the station , when the icon comes under your name your close enough.
The funny thing is I only noticed it today when crossing the threshold to the room they are in, I'm within 4m of them at the entrance and it doesn't pop up the icon under my name until I cross into the room.
Have been this way quite a while now. When the SOE Devs added so that you see those icons for them under your label they also made it so the buff apply as soon as you enter the room. Perhaps it was one way to deal with that ugly feature that made them take precedence over each other so you had to stand inside them, they never said.

A caveat is that if you log into the room where they are you must leave the room and reenter to get the buff and icons.

/Zimoon