Need some clarification regarding resource quality.

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Dregs
Novice Crafter

Need some clarification regarding resource quality.

Post by Dregs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:55 am

I've been keeping myself busy with a variety of trader professions as I'm gathering up resources to eventually be a weaponsmith. Now, on Shadowfire, there has been alot of things that may have 90%+ on all stats except OQ. And all that colored stats just make it so tempting to mine! Except the main quality....OQ.... is like 1.5% or equivallently crappy.

Now as I read some other posts here, I read that 800+ on the stats are good enough to mine. Some posts I read you want all values to add up to 960+.

So... what kind of resource quality am I looking for in order to cap? 96%+ or 80%+?
So if there was a resource with OQ 90% and SR 96%, it wouldn't help me cap? Should be regardless of the quality weights right? As long as it's 96%+? Assuming it's 96%+ to cap instead of 80%+.

For some visual clarification, can anyone on Shadowfire tell me which of the current spawns would be good to mine for a weaponsmith? I mean as far as I can tell, nothing except the dolovite iron is worth mining, but dolovite iron isn't really used for anything now. Hearing other people's opinion would help me clear things up tremendously.

Any advanced resource gathering strategies or tips from other future weaponsmiths? Or even already established weaponsmiths? Like only just for examples, don't waste time mining millions of units, or don't concentrate all your mines on just one resource (somethings like that? I don't know if those two mentioned examples are accurate or not). I mean, I know I need to prioritize high quality resources used for components over anything else.

I mined like 3mil+ of some iron that was really good but I misread before I started mining, and discovered that it's really only used in like 1 or 2 schematics. lol.

Man... I know I have tons more questions but I'm working most of them out through practice and reading through posts and learning from other people's mistakes.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Need some clarification regarding resource quality.

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm

I think you now have understood the concept of stats, the last paragraph kind of indicates that.

Yes, it is always the combination of one or two stats that is important. That is what can make a particular resource über attractive to one crafter, but the very same resource is considered junk by another.

Not only is the stats important, but also exactly what the schematic asks for. If the schematic asks for Iron with high OQ and SR, then it is of no value that a Plumbum Iron spawns that has 1000 OQ and its SR a shiny red color here at the site, that is since Irons cap for SR is 1000 but Plumbum's cap for SR is 573, a mere 57.3 % of the cap for Iron, and it is Iron that was called for.

However, no schematic just asks for one resource so you may always combine a resource with decent stats with another resource with awesome stats and still get away with that combination. But more on that and its exact formulas is better read in chapter Power Crafting in the Beginners Guide for Traders. In fact, that chapter is better read by any crafter until they fully grasp all details of it. I often meet "seasoned crafters" that still don't understand all details, so don't feel intimidated in any way, you seem to do just great :)

So, yes, crafting in SWG is not shallow or as dumbed down as it is in for example WoW. Here you need to learn, to think, to find combinations that works, and so forth.

The only tip I have is to use the guards in SWGAide. And it was probably in that thread, about guards for AS, that you picked up some sentences you quoted in your post. If you are a crafter, use the experimental values to alert yourself when something spawns, and adjust the threshold according to what you have in your inventory. If you are a miner, set the guards to alert at minimum stats for the schematics of trader profession you want to service the first. Once you start to fill up your vendors with resources, increase the minimum stats to find only the better resources, unless you want to sell bulk resources with decent stats.

Personally I use some guards to alert me when any resource of certain resource classes do spawn, using that resource class plus a mere 1 for OQ to alert me. That is since sometimes I want the specific resource class no matter its quality. So, there are many different approaches to harvesting, depending on what you find the most amusing to do and explore :)

Finally, to your question in bold. To cap anything that must be of quality you must have
  • the final weighed average result from the ugly formulas to be above 1000
  • or
    • the final weighed average result from the ugly formulas to be above 960 ...
    • plus the full resource refinery expertize
It is not the single resource that makes for capping anything but the final weighed average from the formula.

/Zimoon

RebelDawg
Apprentice Crafter

Post by RebelDawg » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:44 pm

I to am a noob resource gatherer. And like you I am currently just trying to get a stockpile of resources before I start crafting. What I have done is create guards using SWGAide that are 80% of cap for both OQ and SR. This being because I wanna be a Armorsmith and those are the 2 stats that matter for 95% of the schematics. The reason I chose 80% of cap rather than 96% is because a year or two could pass waiting on those UBER 96% resources to spawn. 80% will get me started and once I have a decent stockpile of 80% then I'll change all my Guards and start hunting the 96%'ers.

For Armorsmith I created a Guard file that includes every resource needed for crafting armor. With Zimoons help and little learning I edited those guards to be on the look out for 80% capped resources that meet the 50/50, OQ/SR criteria. Thats just to get me started. I actually plan on going back through them and checking against schematics, to add the 33/33/33, DR/OQ/SR resource guards. Check out this thread for more clarification. http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... =11&t=1532

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:55 pm

I would advise to edit a guard as soon as you have enough of it in your inventory. Perhaps not to exactly to what the average for that stocked resource is, but closer to it.

The reason for not all the way is that it is an average, and something might spawn with better overall stats but not exactly up to the average for that stocked resource but enough for that a combination of resources will turn out even better.

Why edit the guards one by one? Otherwise you will get too many alerts confusing you on what to concentrate on. It is no point in getting alerts for something you actually have some decent stock for while there is also something that you do no have at all :)

/Zimoon

Dregs
Novice Crafter

Post by Dregs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Awesomeness! Thanks for the quick responses! I posted that at like 1AM hawaii time and figured I'm not gonna get an answer for a few more hours/days lol.

I kinda skipped learning the guards part because I didn't want to overwhelm my limited learning capacity to meltdown and /eject. Now that I got a tiny grasp of a few things, I think I can venture towards that part!

Zimoon I was about to ask you what you meant in your explanation down there, but as I was typing the question and dwelling on it I figured it out lol.

Thanks thanks guys! I guess there's nothing I can really do about the resources with the purrty red and orange colored stats on most stats except OQ. It seems like such a waste of some good stats! lol.