understanding the code

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

mysterymantis
Novice Crafter

understanding the code

Post by mysterymantis » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 pm

OK, I've read the guide in regards to how the code works, and I'm not a math guy at all. The formula wasn't impossible to understand but I don't think I can figure out how to plug in my numbers, nor do I want to do that complicated of math when figuring what I really need to craft the most ideal parts.
So here is what I've been doing. In an example where the cap for all relative stats is 1000, it's pretty easy, since, after expertise, the stats only need an average of 962+ for a perfect resource. (Or maybe just 960, I've seen some variance on this in both threads as well personal experience). So just add the relative stats together, and divide by the number of stats you just added, and you have your average. IE, if you need HR SR and UT, you would add the three stats together, and divide by 3, hopefully averaging a total of 962+. (or 960, maybe, I don't have any data I can show to back that up)
However, it's not always this simple. Some resources have lower caps than others, and often these different caps are mixed in with each other. So here is what I've been doing to see how this works out. I take the percentage each is from it's cap, and then average them out, and hope that it is 96% or higher (to add the 4% from expertise). So if I need a steel with CD OQ SR, then for OQ and SR the cap is 1000, while the CD cap is 650. So if my stats are CD 646, OQ 924, and SR 966 my percentages are CD 99.3%, OQ 92.4%, SR 96.6%. If I take their average it is 96.1%, which makes it ideal for anything that calls for these stats after expertise.
I realize this may not be as precise as the formula that is presented in the guide, but man, it's a lot easier to understand. It hasn't really failed me this far, as I play it pretty close to the magic numbers for expertise when resource hunting anyway. But there are a few schemes that I have as a SW that call for stat lines that have separate caps, and I needed a way to both compare between resources, and also do it in a way that wouldn't take me too much time.
Anyone else do this this way? Just curious.
Also, in the guide, and maybe I missed this, but I don't think there is any mention of whether it rounds up, down, off or what not for decimals, and if so, how and when? I.E. .986547123 becomes what? And at what point in the math does that happen?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: understanding the code

Post by Savacc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Your example of the steel works if the experimental percentages are 33% CD/33% OQ/33% SR. It also works if you are just trying to get a rough idea of wether a resource is good enough to mine (which I think was your intent). To be honest, as a shipwright, I dont do all the calculations on my resources ahead of time. Im pretty good at eyeballing a resource and telling if it will work for me.

Lets see about your other questions. It is +40. The devs lied to us about it being 4% and it took us a while to find out. Earlier guides, where we took the devs at their word, will say 4%. We have tried to update those where we can to reflect the +40 reality. Please note, the +40 is added at the end, not to each individual resource.

Decimals. We know that some schematics keep decimals out to 6 places, so .987654321 will be .987654. We are dealing in whole numbers and dividing by only .5, .25 or .33, so we dont generate a lot of decmal places. I think we have assumed we keep the decimals and drop them from the final result. Onyx, had some examples where after adding the +40 bonus the result was being rounded up, which was a surprise because I think we all assumed decimals were dropped. So who knows.

I have never used this, never even looked at it, but lots of people love it, its a program called Shipwrights Little Helper. Here is a link to a thread for it:
http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=247530

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:38 am

Just a note, adding 3 resources together and dividing by 3 really works, yes.

However, as soon as you start using more than one resource, which you quickly will do, you really need to dig deeper into the formulas since then their relative amount makes a difference as well. It is a huge difference when one resource adds 100 units while another adds 1000 units to the same item.

/Zimoon

mysterymantis
Novice Crafter

Post by mysterymantis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. However, in regards to using multiple resources, as a SW, in nearly every schem, you use the same amount of each resource.
Even so, I'm sure I could figure a easy way to make that work with my simplified method as well. but not right now, since I'm tired and need to get some sleep.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:59 pm

mysterymantis wrote:Thanks for the replies. However, in regards to using multiple resources, as a SW, in nearly every schem, you use the same amount of each resource.
Even so, I'm sure I could figure a easy way to make that work with my simplified method as well. but not right now, since I'm tired and need to get some sleep.
In that case the resources are used in equal amounts you are lucky to be able to use the simplified formula. Consider yourself lucky you did not choose anything other than SW then :D

Certainly we can reduce the formulas but that would probably just be more confusing than not to reduce them. Mathematicians and engineers may understand how we arrived at the reduced formula but most people wold not understand why.

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:07 pm

There are more shipwright schematics calling for unequal amounts of resources then there are schematics that call for equal. Still, shipwright probably has the largest number of such "resource equality" schematics.