Help me understand this

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

muad
Novice Crafter

Help me understand this

Post by muad » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:07 pm

I am trying to do +15 crafting station just to have one in my house.
For metal I used a Kammris iron with 495 CD and for mineral slot some Amorphous gemstone.
As I understood the formula the iron should be perfect since the cap on it is 500 and since gemstone have no CD value it doesn't count.
After experimenting it came out as +1.xxxx.

So did I missunderstood the formula or missed something during assembly?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Help me understand this

Post by Savacc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:57 pm

Yes, you missed something. Crafting tools, and stations (not really sure which are trying to make) call for the generic resource "Metal". Because there are metals that can get to 1000 CD (Polysteel Copper and several JTL resources), you have to use one of them if you want to "cap" your tool or station. IF the schematic called for Iron, THEN that Kammris would be perfect, but since its metal that you need, you have to use a better metal then Kammris Iron.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:25 am

Thanks for asking, I just reviewed the paragraph under Power Crafting>>Resource Caps in the Beginners Guide for Traders and found it hard to read. I have now edited it to read:
However, the formula considers the cap for exactly the resource classes the schematic calls for, each slot by itself, but not the cap for possible sub classes you can use. In formulas such as above, replace the stat of the resource with the result from
Is that better phrased and easier to understand? Please be honest :)

/Zimoon

PS: I believe OP is making crafting tools and not stations which can be close to 45.

muad
Novice Crafter

Post by muad » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 pm

I think I understand it now, I went down the tree instead of up.
As for the wording it makes abit more sense. Another example with a more general requirement might help, say with metal.

ps. I wanted to do crafting station but there wasn't any good subcomponents for sale so that's why I settled for +15.

ps2. What does the Advanced Assembly entertainer buff work on?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:11 pm

The Advanced Assembly buff will boost your shipwright skill "Advanced Componant Assembly" which is the skill for making Droid Interfaces and Capacitors. Note it only buffs your assembly skill and not experimentation. There is not a lot of need for a shipwright to boost any of their assembly skills.

The Crafting Station schematic is bugged. Even with "perfect resources" you can only experiment it to 99%, so you wont be able to make a +15 station without the subcomponants. Best you can make will be +14.999998. Best with all the subs is a +44.999992, as all the subcomponats have the same "bug". :(

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:51 pm

To get great sub-components I believe you have to find a friendly Engineer that know his/her ropes, hand the resources to be used and ask for a Manufacture schematic. Then you can manufacture as many sub-components you want whenever necessary. Savacc would have advised you to ensure the Engineer gets at least one Amazing while getting them capped.

More "general requirement" than Steel, hmm, that is not easy. Metal, for example has almost no caps at all, only CR is capped at 800. I think Steel is generic enough to get the difference between anything non-capped, these in the middle, and the low-end resource classes. The example would be very "synthetic" I think, don't you agree.

We all have had a struggle with the caps and formulas, but as soon you once get it will stick ;)

Good luck

/Z