Resource Scanning

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

omnitree
Novice Crafter

Resource Scanning

Post by omnitree » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:16 pm

I need help from our experienced Traders. Every time there is a resource shift I have to spend in upwards of 2+ hours per resource per planet to find high quantity zones. Which 7 out of 10 times are smack dab in the middle of a player city.

The question is this; is resource scanning that time consuming or am I simply scanning wrong? Can anyone offer me advice as to how to trim my scanning times down? I use this site to see which planets have the resource I need. Once the planet is determined I Speeder bike through the no mans land between the dozens of player cities on each planet.

BTW, I'm on Chilastra if that is helpful at all.

Mifasa
Novice Crafter

Re: Resource Scanning

Post by Mifasa » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Well, you pretty much have it down. Once you know what resource your after all that's left is to drive around looking for yoour choice of location for harvesters.
High consintration spawn location is more an art than a science. I have found how ever that a lot ov resources seem to spawn in "belts" across a planet, so if a consentration seems to peek and start dropping off go ahead and follow a little farther to see if it starts coming back up.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Mifasa: Elder Master Driod Engineer
Asafim: Master Structures
Alts: Dakar, Xeker

Located on Dantoine -3243, 6736
in East Crystal Oasis.
(Tarquinas Sever)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:15 pm

Remember to adjust the range of your survey device as you level up.

I tend to do the planets from west to east, following concentration peaks, but back in the "line" when not satisfied. At east-side I move north (or south) 1000 meters and drive to west. Rinse and repeat. Most often I find what I want in maybe 5 such "line drives".

Whatever, it is a mini game in the game, but yes, it is time consuming at times.

Also remember that some resource classes never sapwn with high concentrations, see Lunariels bible for more info: Lunariel's Guide to Resource Shifts

/Zimoon

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:39 pm

My method is similar to Z's I suppose, but I set up waypoints, and travel from one to another. I usually set up an inner circle and an outer circle in order to canvas as much of the planet as possible. Player cities are useful for these, especially the ones with shuttles, but having some out in the middle of nowhere is a must. Z's grid idea could be much the same: set the WPs at 8000 8000, 8000 7000, 8000 6000 etc. No matter what it takes a while to cover the planet, but you can be sure about being thorough while doing it. Oh, and if you use the WPs, always allow more than one at a time or you'll forget where you're generally headed.
/Ibaum

omnitree
Novice Crafter

Post by omnitree » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:07 am

Ah, see that Resource guide was very helpful. I was driving myself loopy trying to find a Low Grade Siliclastic above the 66% I found on Tatooine this afternoon. When the best I'd ever manage is the 75% my partner found on the top of a mountain range. Basically what I'm saying is that the 66% was respectable and I really had no need to continue further. I will make sure I read that guide fully and understand it.

Thank you all for your assistance. I will also try out your waypoint grid idea. Does anyone know how many waypoints I can stuff into the chat buffer?

*Edit* Maybe I missed it, but the guide mentions the term JTL quite often but doesn't mention what it means. Can someone explain the acronym and what exactly it means?

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:30 am

JTL = "Jump to Lightspeed" the first expansion to SWG. In addition to adding space zones, space combat and spaceships, a group of new resources were added that became known as "JTL Resources". These resources do not follow the same rules as other resources and thus warrent special mention in a discussion of resources such as Lunariel's Guide.

My theory on surveying for resources is called "Look where you want to find them", I go to a spot on a planet where I know has lots of flat, clear, buildable terrain, and start looking for good concentrations there. If Im following a concentration and I see it is headed for an unbuildable area, I stop and go back and look in another direction on good terrain. I dont want to find that 95% spot on top of a mountain, in the ocean or downtown Theed. I would rather not know about it, so I dont look there.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Savacc's mention of flat land is good to remember. Over time you will learn the hard way where it is useless to even try. You might squeeze in one harvester, perhaps, but no more. OK, with elite harvesters that is OK anyway, but I tend to go for the flat land as much as possible. You'll learn ;)

/Zimoon

Ruh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ruh » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Savacc wrote:JTL = "Jump to Lightspeed" the first expansion to SWG. In addition to adding space zones, space combat and spaceships, a group of new resources were added that became known as "JTL Resources". These resources do not follow the same rules as other resources and thus warrent special mention in a discussion of resources such as Lunariel's Guide.

My theory on surveying for resources is called "Look where you want to find them", I go to a spot on a planet where I know has lots of flat, clear, buildable terrain, and start looking for good concentrations there. If Im following a concentration and I see it is headed for an unbuildable area, I stop and go back and look in another direction on good terrain. I dont want to find that 95% spot on top of a mountain, in the ocean or downtown Theed. I would rather not know about it, so I dont look there.
Ditto and Bolded For Emphasis lol. I have found several spots on several planets that I generally go to first since I know I will be able to drop as many harvs as I can.

Also, some may find this to be a bit wastefull but it is how I work. I generally will chose a 60% spot where I can drop 20 of my harvesters over a 80% spot where I can only drop 5. Assuming those are the number of harvesters I have availible to drop, but I think you get the idea. I do this because I find it easier to manage my harvesters this way. Rather than having 4 toons disperse throughout a planet I can move them easier to the same spot. Also, using this method I have found that I can take care of my entertainer and crafters if I happen to be placing in a more dangerous area. I do this by taking my combat toon and clearing MOBs out then dropping a camp for non combat toons to shuttle into. This leads me to quick harvestor placing and resource removal as well as the ability to better maintain my sanity.
Ruh [Bounty Hunter] - Ruh' [Smuggler] - Reh [Jedi] - Reh' [Spy] - Ryh [Medic] - Ryh' [Dancer] - Rih' [Commando] - 'Rih [Officer]
ShiodIndustries [Domestics] - ShiodInduztries [Engineer] - ShiodIndustriez [Architect] - ShiodInduztriez [Munitions]
Starsider