Can Radioactives be used directly as power in harvesters?

Discuss any general aspect of crafting in this forum.

Moderators: Crafting Forum Moderators, Forum Moderator

Wasahi
Novice Crafter

Can Radioactives be used directly as power in harvesters?

Post by Wasahi » Fri May 23, 2008 3:20 pm

I have not had occassion to build pr use a Fusion Generator yet, my understanding of how they worked was that you sited them on a Radioactive node but that they generated a seperate resource called fusion power, which could be used in turn to power harvesters.

My problem is this I had just come back from hand sampling 8k in Mustafarian Radioactives and decided to swing by my Harvesters on the way home. Well I deposited some maintenance and power and then proceeded home to craft an engine. Well no Mustafarian Radioactives. I checked my chat log to see if I had mistakenly destrpyed them. (I had earlier destroyed some samples I was not going to pursue) But I did not find such, the only possible clues in the chat were my power deposits. I dont remember exactly how much wind energy I had in inventory but I had a good idea, and it did not seem my stock was as low as it should have been after depositing the power I did. So I strongly suspect my hand sampled Radioactives got dumped in my Harvesters. My question is this a bug or working as intended.

If it matters the Harvesters were Elite Mineral Harvesters and as stated earlier Mustafarian Radioactive ore.

Regards, Wasahi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Can Radioactives be used directly as power in harvesters?

Post by Zimoon » Fri May 23, 2008 3:27 pm

All energy harvesters do not require any power but are self sustained, they are Wind, Solar, Fusion generators. and Geothermal

I believe all other types require power even if you are using any size of a mineral harvie to gather radioactive.

Watch out while having power in your inventory and feed power to any kind of structure, it is the highest PE (or is it OQ?) that will be used up first if you have more types to choose from. Stash away power you use for other purposes in your storage droid.

/Zimoon
edited by Savacc

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Post by Savacc » Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Yes Radioactive Ore is used to power harvesters or factories. As Z mentioned the highest PE power source is used from your inventory first, so it chose the good Mustafar stuff instead of the low PE wind energy you had. As Z again mentioned, the only way to keep a harvester from using an energy you dont want it to, is to not carry it, or store it in a droid that has item storage. (Can you tell that Z is a long time Droid Engineer and just assumes everyone has a droid they can store stuff in?)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat May 24, 2008 7:37 am

Savacc wrote:... just assumes everyone has a droid they can store stuff in?
Don't they, ooh my, the dooms day is near. Not only one but a few. And a few for data storage too :)

/Z

Wasahi
Novice Crafter

Post by Wasahi » Sat May 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Heh, well I started out as a structures Trader. I have a Droid Engineer in the works but He's only lvl 64. I've been grinding speeders and selling them. I haven't tried crafting a droid yet as I'm waiting to get a little closer to 90. But I may have to look into a storage droid.

Thanks for the feedback, now I know at least. But it seems to me if it works this way, what is the point of placing a fusion generator? Is fusion power more efficient than using radioactives? Or is it that you dont have to place power in a fusion generator whereas you do with a mineral harvester? Or is it just that you get a higher BER per site used in comparison to mineral harvesters?

Maybe I just answered my own question.

Wasahi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat May 24, 2008 1:49 pm

If you don't have any mineral ELITE harvesters fusion is the one, they are BER19 while a mineral is BER14, which is a big difference.

Elites are BER44 so even if you consider you have to feed them the radioactive you are still way plus.

Item storage droid, as soon as you can do the best storage modules you can do with a power droid, or anything small, you don't need the best but can upgrade later on. Personally I only have one droid with item storage, but I have several with data storage as I have a bunch of manufacture schematics I have to store somewhere.

/Zimoon

Wasahi
Novice Crafter

Post by Wasahi » Sat May 24, 2008 2:50 pm

I was including Elite Harvesters in my assesment given that for the same three lot usage you can have an Elite mineral harvester or 3 fusion generators.

If you sit 3 fusion generators on the same node: 3 * 19 = 57

An effective BER of 57 for the same 3 lots used.

Wasahi

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat May 24, 2008 3:28 pm

And you are perfectly right and I am better caffeinated now :P

/Zimoon

TradeMaster
Intermediate Crafter

Post by TradeMaster » Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm

If you can get the fusions, (which shouldn't be tough) it is almost always more efficient to use them to pull your radioactive. The only instance I can see where an elite is preferable is if the spot you found to drop your harvester is very small, only allowing one harvester to be placed.