Call me a Noob but i cant open swgaide

Moderator: Forum Moderator

uthro69
Novice Crafter

Call me a Noob but i cant open swgaide

Post by uthro69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:24 am

downloaded it today Made sure java everything was up to date. When i double click on swgaide its opening with IE8 if thats right then it opens up immediatly closes and asks if i want to save this file or open it. if i click open it recycles and does the same thing again. if i click save it gives me a place ot save it but nothing changes other then theres swgaide folders all over the damn place lmao :)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Call me a Noob but i cant open swgaide

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 pm

uthro69 wrote:downloaded it today Made sure java everything was up to date. When i double click on swgaide its opening with IE8 if thats right then it opens up immediatly closes and asks if i want to save this file or open it. if i click open it recycles and does the same thing again. if i click save it gives me a place ot save it but nothing changes other then theres swgaide folders all over the damn place lmao :)
Hmm, I assume you have created a folder for SWGAide somewhere. Also that you gave downloaded SWGAide.ZIP and dragged the 3 files from inside the zip-file to that folder and that you double-click the icon for SWGAide.jar in that folder, right?

If that is the case there is something wrong with your Java installation, Windows seems unaware that it exists and direct you to IExploder. Questions such as which version of Windows you are using are not specified. Have you read the readme file that comes with the ZIP file, one of the 3 files? And followed the tips for Windows?

Let's start with these questions and hope we will sort these things out.

Question to the community: Is there anybody that has experience with installation applications such as InstallShield or its cousins? Contact me please :)

/Zimoon

uthro69
Novice Crafter

Post by uthro69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 pm

I followed the Guidelines listed for windows 7 i downloaded java update. i made sure that it always runs as administrator. i do agree though because when i follow your commands for the command prompt everything works identically up until the java command is says no such command is listed

uthro69
Novice Crafter

Post by uthro69 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:31 pm

window 7 64 bit i tried to change what program w7 uses to open it it doesnt do anything different

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:42 pm

uthro69 wrote:I followed the Guidelines listed for windows 7 i downloaded java update. i made sure that it always runs as administrator. i do agree though because when i follow your commands for the command prompt everything works identically up until the java command is says no such command is listed
Sorry for the delay, was playing SWG for a bit longer than planned for ;)

The part in red, what command was that?
You'd better post step by step what you do and the output at the command prompt.

At a command prompt, what does the simple command
java -version
say?

If that command does not work you may try to uninstall Java and then install again. You only need the JRE, unless you are a developer.

I am very interested in the outcome and what the problem was; of the many SWGAide users less than 5 face your problem, but in my view that is too many. Hence I hope we will sort this out and also document the solution.

/Zimoon

uthro69
Novice Crafter

Post by uthro69 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:48 am

entering that into command prompt says that 'Java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

i went to java tester and it shows im running version 1.6.0_21

what should swgaide be opened as what program should open it?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:33 am

uthro69 wrote:entering that into command prompt says that 'Java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file'

i went to java tester and it shows im running version 1.6.0_21

what should swgaide be opened as what program should open it?
With that response at the prompt the installation of Java is somehow incomplete or corrupt.

I suggest you go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features, find Java. It may be more than one entry for Java, at my Win7 laptop I have 3 entries. Uninstall all of these.

Go to http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp and reinstall the JRE, which today is version 6 update 21. I do not know what happened but the Java installation is not OK.

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:28 pm

I hear words from somewhere that there is perhaps some kind of problem with Windows 7 and Java.

I am off for some a chlorophyll injection at countryside this weekend and have somewhat limited ability to help a lot, so I hope MP can help you.

Possibly you could uninstall and install either an older version of Java, SWGAide does not require the most recent version because I have not made use of anything very new. OR you could try install a 32-bit version of Java from the web pages with older/other versions.

I really do hope everything sorts out for you.

/Zimoon

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Go into command prompt.

Then type this, placing the path to your SWGAide file in the inverted commas, make sure to include the inverted commas.

java -jar "C:\users\...\swgaide.jar"

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Some things I have noticed on my computer: win7 64
- I have both 32 and 64 bit Java installed on my computer,
- 32 bit is version 6.21 (program files(x86)/java/jre6)
- 64 bit is version 6.20 (program files/java/jre6)

current level for both versions is 6.21, when I update the 64 bit version to 6.21, then SWGAide will start but with an internal error, also it will not close. I have to kill the javaw.exe process from windows task manager. To use SWGAide, I had to re-install version 6.20.

This info does not fix uthro69's problem, but may help point in the correct direction.
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 pm

HydroTek wrote:Some things I have noticed on my computer: win7 64
- I have both 32 and 64 bit Java installed on my computer,
- 32 bit is version 6.21 (program files(x86)/java/jre6)
- 64 bit is version 6.20 (program files/java/jre6)

current level for both versions is 6.21, when I update the 64 bit version to 6.21, then SWGAide will start but with an internal error, also it will not close. I have to kill the javaw.exe process from windows task manager. To use SWGAide, I had to re-install version 6.20.

This info does not fix uthro69's problem, but may help point in the correct direction.
Hand me the whisky jar rather than java jar, this needs something strong :roll:

Definitely not a problem inside SWGAide as it is not platform dependent, but ugly indeed. I will try to reproduce this but do not expect it to be resolved over the night, I am sorry but this seems to be an internal Java problem. I just hate to resolve problems by patching some kind of workaround, if that is even possible :(

Friends, ATTENTION !!!

For now, user the 32 bit version of Java. That is, if you have a 64-bit machine with Windows 7 (or maybe also Vista???) do not install the suggested version but use the link to "other versions" and find the 32-bit version. It is no real difference, SWGAide has so low performance impact that the extra speed from 64 bits is negligible.

Though it is not my fault I am sorry anyway :cry:

/Zimoon

HydroTek
Intermediate Crafter

Post by HydroTek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 pm

I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I do believe uthro69 and my problem may be related. His may be related to a conflict with another program, via a PM, ...he made another user profile, and all worked as expected.

My computer (win7 64) seems to only want to use the 64 bit java, how can I force it to use the 32 bit version?

BTW: I had to set java updater to not auto update :roll: it seems the latest version (64 bit) still gives no joy.

Win7-64
Firefox v3.6.8
IE 8 v8.0.7600.16385 (32 & 64 bit)
If it's stuck :x ...force it ...if it breaks, :shock: you needed a new one anyway :)
Characters(Legends): HydroTek, Ditty, and Talo ..give a shout if you see me in game