Resource updating question

Moderator: Forum Moderator

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Resource updating question

Post by vagrant » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 pm

The SWGAide installed on my computer doesn't seem to update nearly as often as SWGAide installed on my wife's computer. On her current resource list there are listings for resources that were posted within minutes and on mine I'm lucky if I get a listing for the same day (I've never had a listing for hours or minutes). We are both using the same version and are setup identically (except for guards, etc). Both of our settings are on "auto-update" for Bloodfin.

Any ideas??

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Resource updating question

Post by Zimoon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Which version of SWGAide is it?
What does the "link" in Options >> SWGCraft read?

This is the third similar report in a week. Two were that SWGAide were old so I need some feedback to track down this issue.

Also, check the log files for any clue there, I am all ears.

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm

She is using 0.7.8.2 and I am using 0.7.8.3. I was going to do an update on hers when I noticed the difference.

Both have Default set to Bloodfin, Auto-update
Both have identical links in Options,

%BASE%/dev/sendfile.php?file=currentresources_%GALAXY%.xml.gz
%BASE%/dev/public/status.txt %BASE%/dev/soap/server.php

It's just weird, we're sitting side-by-side and both will show "UPDATING BLOODFIN"
Hers will come up with things that were posted literally minutes ago and mine won't show those same resources for sometimes a full day, yet they both just updated.

I looked-over the logs and they are nearly identical. No errors, no failed database recoveries, etc.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:22 am

I will post version 0.7.84 tomorrow (today my time zone -- need some sleep first), with a small change in how updating the table is triggered. Hopefully it helps. If not ... eeh, we take that then.

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:26 am

We'll run it through its paces. Is it possible that number formatting could be part of the issue? On resources listed on my wife's system as I said it might say 4 hours for age and on mine it says 1 day. This is looking at them side-by-side.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Aaah, I didn't think of that before, thanks for the pointer. If the very same resource reads a difference in date compared to your wife's computer it is because the "faulty" computer has some problems with its locale, that is, the default setting for country is incorrect. At Window's clock window, that date/time, play around with the settings and see if there is anything that does not match your local time zone.

This is in Windows and not in SWGAide. It might be a problem with how Java (JRE) picks up the locale.

SWGAide does not tweak time at all, but it fall-back on the computer's locale setting. Fortunately SWGCraft.org is located in UK so the server is using UTC by default, which is really handy in this case. But any decent server should use UTC as its time base anyway ;)

A year ago there was another report about time a time issue, I think I did not got the feedback necessary to figure out what was wrong.

Anybody who knows more than I do on how to correct Windows in this case? I am not a Windows guru so ... :(

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Well, I'm about 80% sure that it's a Windows anomaly. I compared all of the settings that I can think of, and their all identical on both mine and my wife's systems. Both set to 24hour (military time), for time zone MST (UTC-7). But the problem persists.

One question, when the age is passed from the server, is it in decimal format relying on the receiving client to translate it, or just straight text?

BTW, I downloaded / installed the new version and it loads much faster than the previous version and appears to update fine. The output is unchanged.

Example:
My wifes system: Lamaso ... 7 hours
Mine: Lamaso ... 1 Day

Thanks again

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:29 pm

vagrant wrote:...One question, when the age is passed from the server, is it in decimal format relying on the receiving client to translate it, or just straight text?...
The downloaded data is the XML file which you can inspect yourself at this site's first page, at http://www.swgcraft.org/dev/data_export.php --- an XML file is more or less plain text. The time stamp in the XML file is UTC (also called Unix time) which is number of seconds since the epoch, which is 1970-Jan-01-00:00:00.

SWGAide just requests something named system-time which is number of milliseconds from the epoch. So, in essence, this gives the age of a resource:

Code: Select all

age_in_seconds = (System.currentTimeMillis() / 1000) - resource.timestamp
Notice that the current-time should be in UTC per the documentation. If it is not there is a flaw in either the Java installation or in Windows. What I can do is to google for Java versus Windows and time. Or just Windows and system time and locale.

I mentioned locale. In SWGAide locale is only used to translate the system-time to human readable form, for example at the lower right section when you browse the current resources you see a time, there is the locale used. I guess this time is 7 hours different that at your wife's view. In SWGAide of course.

I believe the resources are OK as such but the time display sucks. Low priority but I will give it a shot and send you a small Java thingie in a few days and we will see which view Java has of your system, not SWGAide but just plain Java.

Thanks for your patience and feedback

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for the reply. No rush, the program still works with exception of the display. I'm still reasonably sure that the Windows installation is the culprit and I'll be playing with the interface as time permits. Understood about the XML which further convinces me that Windows is at fault.

Consider this a VERY low priority issue as I'm sure it has little to do with SWGAide and the issue doesn't impede the use of the program.

Cheers

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am

I don't know how hardware savvy you are, but if you, right after you powered on the computer go into BIOS mode --- just before Windows begin to boot --- and you should be able to set the hardware clock. The correct time should be displayed in GMT, not your local time.

Another way is to use the Date/Time window at the Control Panel >> Internet time:
Ensure the clock updates automatically from any of the time servers that is listed. That should set the hardware clock correct.

Or try this link http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html
Lots of text, lots of gripes, but it should help you.

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm

You're a genius, I didn't think to look at the BIOS time. My BIOS clock was off by a significant amount. Once it was readjusted, Voila!! problem solved. Here's another one to filed under "if it ever happens again."

Thanks again

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Great, great. And thanks for the heads-up, that helps for future users --- and my own flawed memory :)
/Zim

AtiInc
Apprentice Crafter

Post by AtiInc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Call Zimoon a genius more, it gets you far in life :)