Wierd problem with latest version

Moderator: Forum Moderator

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Wierd problem with latest version

Post by vagrant » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 am

The version prior to the latest (dec 27) worked just great but I installed the updated version today. The problem I'm having is:

SWGAide starts just fine and opens my default galaxy (Bloodfin) and updates and shows the guards. I switch to another galaxy (mostly Chilastra) and I get a steady hourglass cursor and the resourse list and guard list doesn't update (the guard list doesn't highlight).
The only way I can get the Chilastra Guards/resource list to come up is to shut down SWGAide and restart it with Chilastra as default.
The logs show nothing outside of the normal.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Wierd problem with latest version

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:48 am

vagrant wrote:The version prior to the latest (dec 27) worked just great but I installed the updated version today. The problem I'm having is:

SWGAide starts just fine and opens my default galaxy (Bloodfin) and updates and shows the guards. I switch to another galaxy (mostly Chilastra) and I get a steady hourglass cursor and the resourse list and guard list doesn't update (the guard list doesn't highlight).
The only way I can get the Chilastra Guards/resource list to come up is to shut down SWGAide and restart it with Chilastra as default.
The logs show nothing outside of the normal.

Any assist would be greatly appreciated.
This sounds like it could be a so called "dead lock" which is when two or more multitasking threads want to use a resource which can only serve one at a time but for some reason the one that is let in (thread X) cannot finish, possibly because one of the waiting threads (thread Y) is sitting on some other resource that X needs to be able to finish. Dead lock. Both are now waiting on the other one to release the resource but none will do that.

I say, it sounds like a dead lock. It may be something else. If it is it can be hard to track down. In fact, in worst case it can depend on the particular computer/Windows/Java-version and then ...

Either way, just so I am sure I try this exactly the same way as you do:
  1. You start SWGAide and go and watch the Resource panel for Bloodfin, and I guess you read for some time so the table updates to the most recent download from SWGCraft
  2. You go to Main and select another character for Chilastra
  3. You flip back to Chilastra and nothing happens
Is that so?

/Zimoon

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Pretty good assessment of what is happening. I finally got an "error" this morning (log attached)

This is what I've up to this point:

Complete uninstall / reinstall of SWGAide (old version pre-12/27)
Re-import harvs/inv/guards/mail

This works OK

Complete uninstall / reinstall of SWGAide (new version post 12/27)
Re-import harvs/inv/guards/mail

Problem exists again/still

NEW INFO
I unistalled and reinstalled again only this time I tested with every re-import. Everything works fine until I get to adding my mail, then the system comes up with problems. For me this isn't an issue. So I guess unless someone else is having this issue, case closed it's probably a corrupt data file entry in the mail side of things.

Thanks again

P4 2.8
2 GB DDR2
Intel Chipset
Win XP Pro sp3
Java 6 update 17
Attachments
SWGAide-ERROR.TXT
(17.88 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback, but most of all for the error log.
I was totally wrong about thread dead locks, i could still have been though 8)
But this was something else, and the error log pointed me right on the spot.

Workaround until next version:
At the guards table, un-tick the "disregard K & M" (the Kashyyyk and Mustafar muting) check-box and everything should be fine.

In the last version of SWGAide I fixed a few bugs related to guards and the triggering logic. But the bug you found has been there longer than that. It seems that currently there are no resources at all reported for Kashyyyk at your galaxy. And then there are some at Mustafar. And I used a performance trick when a container is empty (the one for Kashyyyk) which more or less if a cheap fake container. But it does not work to add resources to the fake (those from Mustafar) and the error was a fact. Never mind, a case I didn't thought of and I am happy your reported it :D

Greetings
/Zimoon

EDITED:
Actually, double thanks!!!
The solution resulted a much cleaner and so much faster code than before, I believe it went from 12 milliseconds to less than 1 millisecond, at least I don't see the decimals anymore 8)

vagrant
Novice Crafter

Post by vagrant » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Anything I can do help this project move forward :)