So much for fancy loot theories

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

So much for fancy loot theories

Post by Zimoon » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Theory is (as it always has been):
With a precious item in your inventory (or backback) you will never or very seldom get any more precious loot.

SOE Red name's response is:
Millbarge wrote:Hello all -

Loot is not based off of any trigger such as
"how many collection items you currently have in your inventory",
"if you have collection items in your main pack",
"the gravitational pull the Star Destroyer causes", or
"the conspiracy theory that Devs don't want you looting anything".

Your loot chance is the same as it is for most items in the game - you roll for it, if you win - you get loot; if you don't win - you don't get loot.

I am, however, a firm believer of superstition when it comes to "methods" in MMOs -

Mining in Ultima Online, I would mine Valorite Ore - and take it to my home. When it came time to smelt the ore, I used the following technique:
1. Always use a Large Forge (and always used the same one).
2. When Smelting Valorite Ore - Only smelt in stacks of 3.
3. Before every third attempt I would pump the billows 4 times.

Now, due to this theory - I always 'seemed' to come out ahead (since you could lose your ore when smelting) - so I used this method religiously.

In conclusion, if something is working for you - then stay with it - but just because you are seeing a higher rate of success does not mean that the system was designed around that theory -
Crystal clear, right? :D

/Zimoon

Feralmonkey
Artisan Forum Moderator

Post by Feralmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:07 am

Clear as mud! I always figured there really wasn't a system to loots, it was all random.
Kerrimumykamm Former Master Jedi Ahazi
Feralmonkey Former Master Domestics Ahazi

Feralmonkey play tester of Basilisk on the EMU
Feralmonkey Master Rifles but doing the Hologrind on Exile of the EMU

I helped uncover the Stormtubber plot with Eevaa

Fedacorr
Novice Crafter

Post by Fedacorr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:18 pm

How would you figure any 'special' loot system could work, since 'loot' is generated when the creature/NPC is, not at death? The system has no idea who's going to eventually kill it.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:43 pm

Fedacorr wrote:How would you figure any 'special' loot system could work, since 'loot' is generated when the creature/NPC is, not at death? The system has no idea who's going to eventually kill it.
The Emperor knows it all!!

Err .. or :shock:

/Z

thegreywolfe
Advanced Crafter

Post by thegreywolfe » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Fedacorr wrote:How would you figure any 'special' loot system could work, since 'loot' is generated when the creature/NPC is, not at death? The system has no idea who's going to eventually kill it.
The only answer to this possible is dumb luck. When looking at random figures in a setting like this, you have to take into account you are not seeing the complete picture, only your small chunk of it. Some people will be consistently lucky, some unlucky, but in the overall picture, it all balances out.

I figure it this way, if you're one of the consistently lucky ones, good for you, if you're not, well, you can shoot the lucky ones in PVP to take out the frustration. :D