Maybe SWG is not gone for good???

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Maybe SWG is not gone for good???

Post by Monty Burns » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Unannounced SOE MMO Designed For SWG Players
by QuintLyn on January 24, 2014

Get ready to speculate guys, SOE has an unannounced MMO on the way and it somehow relates to Star Wars Galaxies.

In an AMAA currently taking place on Reddit, SOE CEO John Smedley revealed that the company is working on an “unannounced MMO” when asked what players can expect this year.

news main mmorpg Unannounced SOE MMO Designed For SWG Players

Interestingly, when asked later about what closed game he wished he could relaunch and what he would do differently, “S”, “W” and “G” were the first letters in his response.

news main mmorpg Unannounced SOE MMO Designed For SWG PlayersSo here’s the question…

Is SOE bringing back Star Wars Galaxies? Will it be Pre-NGE or will it have a whole new design philosophy? Or, is it not SWG at all and a whole new game built using some of the most loved features of the game?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/news/unannoun ... g-players/

I am assuming that the Star Wars brand is a no go but perhaps there is a chance SWG could be rebuilt as a Sci-Fi/Fantasy MMO without the SW?

Either way I would be happy to see SWG updated and back on the shelves.

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Maybe SWG is not gone for good???

Post by Savacc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:37 pm

I heard about the announcement, read some other stuff too. It's all speculation at this point, but I cant imagine that SOE wants to team with LA again. Obviously, I am a huge SWG fan, and got involved in the EMU after the shutdown. It was Star Wars that drew me to the game, but then I fell in love with all the features of SWG that could transcend Star Wars. Things like the sandbox, skills vs levels, create your own char vs pick a template, crafting, player economy, housing, world building and such. Those could be in any genera or time period.
That is what I think Smedley is trying to do. Make another game that has all the things he wanted SWG to be, but couldn't because of the interference of Lucusarts.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:04 am

Savacc wrote:I heard about the announcement, read some other stuff too. It's all speculation at this point, but I cant imagine that SOE wants to team with LA again. Obviously, I am a huge SWG fan, and got involved in the EMU after the shutdown. It was Star Wars that drew me to the game, but then I fell in love with all the features of SWG that could transcend Star Wars. Things like the sandbox, skills vs levels, create your own char vs pick a template, crafting, player economy, housing, world building and such. Those could be in any genera or time period.
That is what I think Smedley is trying to do. Make another game that has all the things he wanted SWG to be, but couldn't because of the interference of Lucusarts.
I agree but I am of the group that if the produced a game with SWGs crafting, housing, harvesting, original leveling system and general systems packaged into a modern UI I would probably play it even if they called it Galaxy WarS.
:)

My guess is that SOE are looking at ways to utilise the SWG remnants and rebranding the existing game with a graphics and UI overhaul puts a cheap "new" MMO out there, I had hoped EQNext was going to be the game that bridged the intelligence gap between EQ2 and SWG unfortunately it looks more like Minecraft 3D the SWG though.

I am not sure what the current state of Lucas Arts is but I thought the whole lot was owned by Disney now?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

It's definitely not going to be Star Wars again as Smedley states in another post that it is completely new IP: http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments ... aa/cey6qjf

Still, it's exciting news for sure!