Question from old Zimoon post :) "bulk qualities"

Got something to say that does not fit into any of the other forums? or just general chit chat, Post in here.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

bigevil70
Novice Crafter

Question from old Zimoon post :) "bulk qualities"

Post by bigevil70 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Hey all, I was answering a question from the SWGEmu boards and he got me good. I compiled a guide long ago from posts and guides all over, including some great data by Zimoon here. I don't know if Zimoon is still around, but I was hoping you guys could help. I'll put my post from the other boards below. Thanks for your time and looks. :)
------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------
I got a great question from Aemonn regarding the stats under the Creature Resource section in post 2 is "bulk qualities." Most of this section was originally created by Zimoon from SWGCraft years before I compiled this. It obviously has a use or meaning but it never really came up before. See below for example....

----------------

Creature Resources — A Guide for You

Content

Qualities by Resource Types
Creature Resource -- Who Drops What?
Bone and Hide
Meat
Milk
Tips and Hints
Capped Stats

Quality
Which stats that are the most important depends on what is being made, see below. Craftres consider the important stats as
• 850+ good
• 900+ great
• 962+ excellent (all debatable )
Important stats generally come in combinations and the two or more stats of one or several combinations must be good. Hence, it is of no use that only one stat is good when the others are just crap.

Notice: some resource stats are capped, see final installment.

Qualities by Resource Types

Here, stats are listed in order of importance, stats of minor importance are enclosed by parentheses, unused stats are not mentioned.

Bone
Armor: OQ SR
Food: OQ (DR SR)
Bulk qualities: Somewhat

Hide
Armor: OQ SR
Food: OQ (DR SR)
Bulk qualities: Yes
Bulk Wooly Hide: Yes

Meat
Food: PE OQ (FL DR)
Bulk qualities: Somewhat

Milk
Food: PE OQ (FL DR)
Bulk qualities: Yes
----------------------------

See the sections called "Bulk qualities." Can any of you most excellent crafters, resources, or just SWG smart people help shed some light? Maybe our good folk now over at SWG Craft can help too. Don't know if Zimoon is still running round, but maybe they can assist.

Thanks for time and helping to unravel a minor mystery. hehe

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Question from old Zimoon post :) "bulk qualities"

Post by Savacc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 am

No, Zimoon has ridden off into the sunset. He ended his involvement when SOE shut down. He was aware that SWGCraft was going to continue as a support site for the Emu(s) but decided he had other priorities in his life to pursue.

So the question seems to be, "What did Zimoon mean by 'Bulk Qualities'?"

First, Zimoon was (is) from Sweden and English was not his first language. He was, however very articulate and precise in his use of any language.
Second, are these the only times he uses the phrase, or do we have other examples that might give us more context?

The first possibility and probably the simplest explanation is that Z meant to say "Bulk Quantities". Bulk is a strange adjective to use for a quality, but a common one to use for a quantity. If this is the case, than Z was simply recommending that these were resources you might want to get a lot of.

So, was Z capable of mistaking the english words Quality and Quantity? Yes, he could have. I am not sure how likely it might be that he would do so, but it is a possibility.

The second possibility is that Z used the correct noun, but wrong adjective. That is, he meant to say Quality, but Bulk does not really express what he was trying to say about resource quality. The context makes it clear Z was talking about resource Quality. He uses the word several times and does so correctly (not mistaking it for Quantity). The question then remains, what does he mean by Bulk? He could still be saying get a large amount, using Bulk as a noun and not an adjective. So he is saying, get the resource in both Bulk and Quality. Or perhaps he means get a resource with a lot, or extra amounts of quality. So not just two high stats that he gives in other examples, but Z is saying get resources with many high stats.

If you were to pin me down and force an opinion from me, I would probably go with the last possibility.

Farelli
Novice Crafter

Re: Question from old Zimoon post :) "bulk qualities"

Post by Farelli » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 pm

I got curious and read over this, and I think he actually means "bulk qualities" to indicate quality levels that one would acquire in bulk quantities.

Further down he writes:

Quality is the most important issue with resources in crafting. As stated, not only one but a set of stats must be at least good to be of any use to a Crafter, see the first post above. When the basic required stats are good the price is higher than normal, but it's only when all of the required stats are great that we see a real boost to the prices. Again, "supply & demand" sets the prices, so browse the prices before you put up your great-quality-stacks for sale.

Resource types are often important. Not every resource type is specifically required by crafting schematics, and if not, then these types fall back into the generic, cheaper group. However, required specific resource types sell at better prices. Some types are rare even at bulk qualities, not to speak of higher qualities and quantities, since not that many bother harvesting them.

Communicate your fellow Crafter. Many Crafters appreciate that you contact them ...
• when you have a bigger stack of a good or great resource
• to ask if they need anything in particular at bulk quality
• to keep an eye out for them for something

His sentence, "Some types are rare even at bulk qualities,not to speak of higher qualities and quantities, since not that many bother harvesting them." seems to imply that occasionally even resources with quality levels that would normally be acquired in bulk (perhaps as grinding resources) are difficult to find on the market.