Player/s Returning to Closed Server Situation

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Mifasa
Novice Crafter

Player/s Returning to Closed Server Situation

Post by Mifasa » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 am

Hi Guys,

I have returned once more to SWG for a while. =) But I find myself with out a character. =O

Just wundering what information you all would give to me and those that find there selves in the same situation.

I was an Elder DE on Tarquinas, and plan to grind up another engineer rather than paying the $50 to retrieve him. Might be fun to start over anyway. I've currently started one on Starsider but might consider another server.

I guess my real questions are server choice based. I know ther is already a wealth of information on grinding proffesions and crafting tutorials on the site. =)

Thanks for your time in advance.
Mifasa (Formerly of Tarquinas)
Mifasa: Elder Master Driod Engineer
Asafim: Master Structures
Alts: Dakar, Xeker

Located on Dantoine -3243, 6736
in East Crystal Oasis.
(Tarquinas Sever)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Player/s Returning to Closed Server Situation

Post by Zimoon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:12 am

Welcome back Mifasa, it seems you are asking, or rather implying, a general question on which galaxy to select. This is my 2 cents, in order of importance.

Go where your friends are --- the more friends he more fun

Select a galaxy the closest to you --- the less distance the less Internet lag

Base the selection on your time zone --- the more players on-line the easier to play group based content

Depending on you playing style, figure out which galaxy is highly versus medium populated, but always avoid low-pop.

Create testing toons at different galaxies and explore, a few visits at the Mos Eisley Cantina or some other hubs might give a clue.

Usually the character-creation screen gives information but perhaps not completely accurate always. Browse the SOE galaxy forums and try to find a pattern you like the more.

----------------------------------------

Sorry to hear that you engaged in SWG a few weeks too late to use the free ride. I would still suggest you think twice on the resurrecting issue or not. Such as, what precious items are you loosing forever? How dear was you character to you? It takes a long time to again get some of the veteran rewards you like the better, if any. --- Starting fresh is not the same thing as loosing stuff you held dear. You can still start fresh, whenever, either by a new account and periodically cancel/activate between the two. Or by creating characters at another galaxy. --- But this is your call, just wanted to voice my concerns.

Greetings

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:28 am

For those that wonder about low-pop galaxies.

SWG is no longer the game when also a low-pop galaxy had enough players to provide the fun and joy a game should do. From a crafters perspective it is questionable if it is possible to play successfully, this is from several problems:

You need a revenue to be able to continue, a declining revenue with a declining consumer base.
You need help with some problems such as clearing a lair to put down some harvesters.
You need help hunting creature resources, depending on your profession.
You need items from other Trader professions.

There are a lot of others "you need".
However, in the end of the day the most important needs are friends and fun. Both are rare at a low-pop galaxy.

For a combateer it is the same thing, but worse. They need to be grouped for much of the content. That is true for both PvE and PvP, certainly the latter, and certainly for heroics, battlefields, quest series, even for many "clicky collections". Since combateers usually are more fast paced they soon find their way to another galaxy where the action is, and yet more customers take off making your vendors dust collectors.

Of course this is my take on it, and there are other opinions. For example, if you are good at what you are doing and do not like server lag but rather enjoy the friends you indeed have at that galaxy, OK, then it is good for you, enjoy :)

/Zimoon

fridge33sam
Intermediate Crafter

Post by fridge33sam » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:25 pm

I whole heartedly agree with Zimoon on both is reply posts. I know that I have played the same 2 toons since I joined the game several years ago, even when I took a sabbatical for a couple of months, I was able to come back to the same ones. I think for me it's the bond to the toon more than anything else. I am by far not the greatest player and get frustrated a lot of times, but I have my toons.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the $50 it would take to resurrect one. That's a big chunk atm.

I think I would have to agree that you should try toons on all the servers that you are thinking of, although, if you try Flurry, don't grade us on the Mos Eisley cantina, it's usually a ghost town with action all over the rest of the galaxy (except the battle fields -- oooh, i got the jab in...)

-Me
Iron Chef Slakkarr CEO, Fishboi Industries

Guild Joker Nagurra CFO, Wookhunter Enterprises

All Vendors located in Ft Revolt, 800 Meters from the Rebel Outpost on Rori, Flurry Server.

Cerceuil
Forum Moderator

Post by Cerceuil » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:30 am

from reading the main forums it doesnt look like Ahazi is in that boat, but still a declining population. I;ll have to check it out once i get on, but $50 will not be an option for me. with two growing kids all my resources go to them.