Servers Closing in October

Comments on the latest news about crafting and Star Wars Galaxies.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Trixie9819
Apprentice Crafter
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Servers Closing in October

Post by Trixie9819 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:04 pm

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... _id=994876


Obviously most of you already know about this, but how will it affect SWGcraft? Will it make a major change to the programming? Will they need to keep the database for the servers that are closed in case there are resources that have been transferred?

Things to think about.

Memnoc
Intermediate Crafter
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Memnoc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm not surprised I think alot of people knew some kind of crunch was coming. The next consideration will be when the new swg is released will that be the axe that takes care of busniess. And a few months ago I was wondering the same about what will happen too swgcraft with the old and new.

Hopefully SOE will hold onto the remaining servers and this sight can make adjustments without worrying.

I forgot to add something that I want to discuss with the members here at swgcraft and I think it is a good idea and would bring new people here too the forums. NO FLAMING :P

I wanted too suggest a general gaming forum istead of strictly a swg forum but still deicated too swg such and the resource/swg news. This is popular but many just use it for the resources. I've just added a few mmos that would boost interest and make this sight a hot spot. Ok....FLAME ON

What about the following:

Eve forum where players could discuss and share ideas about Eve

WoW forum

Aion forum

Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Sobuno » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Trixie9819 wrote:Will it make a major change to the programming?
I'll make sure it will be impossible to add data to the closed servers once they have been shut down
Trixie9819 wrote:Will they need to keep the database for the servers that are closed in case there are resources that have been transferred?
Yep, no problem though, we have no storage issues I am aware of.

I don't like them shutting down servers though, this is the first time they have done this (Except for those short-lived japanese servers)...

Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Sobuno » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Memnoc wrote:What about the following:

Eve forum where players could discuss and share ideas about Eve

WoW forum

Aion forum
There's a reason we are called SWGCraft :) Besides, we have the Off Topic Discussion forum for Off Topic Discussions. Also, I doubt non-SWG players would hang out here instead of going to a more <insert MMORPG of choice>-focused site.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 am
Location: Naboo (4618, -7289)

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by wrackspurt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 am

Sobuno wrote: I don't like them shutting down servers though, this is the first time they have done this (Except for those short-lived japanese servers)...
Yes. It feels a little like the beginning of the end. I'd heard it wasn't too long ago that they pulled the plug on Matrix Online, and now there's the rumor of them putting out a Clone Wars mmo.

User avatar
Monty Burns
Master Crafter
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:07 am

wrackspurt wrote:
Sobuno wrote: I don't like them shutting down servers though, this is the first time they have done this (Except for those short-lived japanese servers)...
Yes. It feels a little like the beginning of the end. I'd heard it wasn't too long ago that they pulled the plug on Matrix Online, and now there's the rumor of them putting out a Clone Wars mmo.
Nah many games have reduced servers and continued on quite happily, EQ, EQ2, DAoC, PoBS and to be honest I think it is a good idea to consolidate populations as a game ages (lets face it I doubt the population is worse now than at any time since the NGE), if anything I think rather than showing "the beginning of the end" I think it shows a more solid comitment to the game because if they were planning to close it why would they bother closing the low pop servers when they could just milk it for as long as possible.

My guess is that at least 3 more servers will disappear as well until the game reaches 6-8 medium populated servers.

My only complaint is that they should have made this decision known right from the day they announced the FCTS so that people would not have been so reluctant to leave the low pop servers.

wrackspurt
Advanced Crafter
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 am
Location: Naboo (4618, -7289)

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by wrackspurt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:57 am

You're probably right, it's just too often in the main forums, people are announcing they're leaving the game, and it's kind of dis-heartening. It makes me really sorry I couldn't be in on SWG from the very beginning, that's I'm catching it at the tail end. But I figure at least when it really is gone, I'll be able to say I got in on it for a time, and have as many screenshots as I can gather of places, houses, characters, etc.

User avatar
Monty Burns
Master Crafter
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:26 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Monty Burns » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:13 am

wrackspurt wrote:You're probably right, it's just too often in the main forums, people are announcing they're leaving the game, and it's kind of dis-heartening. It makes me really sorry I couldn't be in on SWG from the very beginning, that's I'm catching it at the tail end. But I figure at least when it really is gone, I'll be able to say I got in on it for a time, and have as many screenshots as I can gather of places, houses, characters, etc.
You have to remember that most of the "im leaving" posts on SOE's forums are just attempts at attention seeking by people who failed to achieve something in game and couldn't deal with it.

Dimmih
Novice Crafter
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Dimmih » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 am

I wouldnt worry over SWG as it is now, the fact that they are shutting down low populated servers is a good sign imo, it will ensure that the servers that are up will be more active, and whats more depressing than a server full of empty cantinas and the few people left only cling to old memories of guilds that now only have a handfull members? :D
<DDE> Dimmih's Droid Emporium
On Europe-Farstar visit my shop in Free Sands (Tatooine)

Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Sobuno » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Okay, I've modified the code to handle closed servers. Once the server have been shut down, I'll flip the switch here and you will no longer be able to add resources to them, see them under Current Resources, the Resource Tree, Add Resources or My Guards. The data export files for the closed servers will also stop being generated. You will still be able to use the Find Resources feature to find resources from them though.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Zimoon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:08 pm

Sobuno, that sounds all good. I am not sure I'm able to tweak SWGAide until then so rember the SOAP server ;) Perhaps to return those "cannot-spawn-there" response?

Personally I agree with all others, I rather see my $ spent at populated galaxies than desolated dittos.

I also feel for those new players that innocently end up at a low-pop server. I doubt they will carry on after the 14 free days, and first-impressions tend to be sticky.

/Zimoon

Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Sobuno » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Zimoon wrote:Sobuno, that sounds all good. I am not sure I'm able to tweak SWGAide until then so rember the SOAP server ;) Perhaps to return those "cannot-spawn-there" response?
They'll just return the standard "Server does not exist" message.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 6:55 am
Location: Stockholm, SE
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Zimoon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:Sobuno, that sounds all good. I am not sure I'm able to tweak SWGAide until then so rember the SOAP server ;) Perhaps to return those "cannot-spawn-there" response?
They'll just return the standard "Server does not exist" message.
Aah, great, forgot about that one :oops:

Hashashin
Novice Crafter
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Hashashin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 am

Memnoc wrote: I forgot to add something that I want to discuss with the members here at swgcraft and I think it is a good idea and would bring new people here too the forums. NO FLAMING :P

I wanted too suggest a general gaming forum istead of strictly a swg forum but still deicated too swg such and the resource/swg news. This is popular but many just use it for the resources. I've just added a few mmos that would boost interest and make this sight a hot spot. Ok....FLAME ON

What about the following:

Eve forum where players could discuss and share ideas about Eve

WoW forum

Aion forum

I am not sure how it went, as I dont see anything new. But if you like lets build up some portal. Actualy I have created portal some time ago and dont have time to manage it by myself so I am looking for cooperation, moderators and so on. What you think?

Portal:
www.mmorpgames.org

Sobuno
Developer
Posts: 2589
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Servers Closing in October

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:52 pm

The servers have now been deactivated

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests