Where, oh where is MyRes?

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

dmac1024
Novice Crafter

Where, oh where is MyRes?

Post by dmac1024 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:02 am

Anyone know where MyRes can be obtained now? I really need an easier way to track my inventory of resources besides using the /note route and importing them into SWGAide. Unfortunatly, I have had the misfortune of having resources that no one had reported on to SWGCraft.co.uk so I was stuck manually entering them anyway.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Where, oh where is MyRes?

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 am

dmac1024 wrote:Anyone know where MyRes can be obtained now? I really need an easier way to track my inventory of resources besides using the /note route and importing them into SWGAide. Unfortunatly, I have had the misfortune of having resources that no one had reported on to SWGCraft.co.uk so I was stuck manually entering them anyway.
Regarding harvesters: MyRes does offer nothing beyond SWGAide, nothing whatsoever. I used MyRes back when it came and provided quite some feedback to its developer, Wendano, who added quite a few of my feature suggestions. He was a nice guy but left SWG with the NGE in 2005. The one and only feature regarding harvesters was the Monitor panel, which is also found in SWGAide. MyRes has no panel named Harvester where you in more detail can track your harvesters and get alerts when it is time to empty or maintain them.

Regarding resources: SWGAide provides you many ways to update SWGCraft. When you say you had to manually add a resource because it was not listed at SWGCraft, then it is best done this way:
Go to the Panel named "Submit Resources" at the "Resources" panel. Add the resource data there, submit. Then the resource is not only listed at current resources in SWGAide but also listed at SWGCraft.

If it was an old resource, yes, SWGAide does not yet have support for submitting old resources, you better visit SWGCraft and add it manually: How to update SWGCraft, second last section.

Submitting current resources to SWGCraft, being part of the heroes that give of themselves in updating SWGCraft was something MyRes never supported, but that is a prominent feature in SWGAide, and so it will always be as I consider SWGCraft the hub of all crafters in SWG.

The resources you found missing would be missing in MyRes too, it works the same way as SWGAide does, it is just clumsier to manually add resources to the inventory. And there are no convenient features such as notes files to ease you job.

Do not just suck data from SWGCraft, and whine when it is not there, be part of submitting data to SWGCraft as well, be part of this nice community :)

The only features that MyRes had that SWGAide yet does not have is support for schematics. However, there is currently no updated schematics for MyRes so you are really stuck at that point. You can add them manually since MyRes had support for that, but that will take you some time, which IMHO is better used in taking part in updating SWGCraft's resource database.

If you believe there was features that are missing, list them so I can add them to the list of enhancement requests, please.

Also, since Wendano has not updated MyRes and had hard coded the parsing of the resource-cap XML file, MyRes will not work properly anymore. You must have one of those old files which are erratic at some places.

If you still think you need MyRes: http://myres.wendano.de/
And good luck in getting it to work flawlessly 8)

/Zimoon

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:03 am

I want to add that if you have suggestions or feedback on how to get SWGAide to be even better, shoot.

SWGAide is an open source thing at SourceForge. We welcome anyone that can provide some help and there is not only Java coding but a lot of other things that can get a hand, or two.

Whatever, rather than whining, write up some feedback and we will see what can be done to smoothen things that you believe are not so well polished. We welcome feedback, and if it criticism you better come up with constructive criticism == it comes with suggestions on improvements :D

/Zimoon

dmac1024
Novice Crafter

Post by dmac1024 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you for your feedback Zimoon. I do use SWGAide constantly. But respectfully, please check the contributors to SWGCraft site, you will find that I do contribute to the information. Maybe not a lot, but some.. I was an idiot and used my resource crate. :x

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:13 pm

dmac1024 wrote:Thank you for your feedback Zimoon. I do use SWGAide constantly. But respectfully, please check the contributors to SWGCraft site, you will find that I do contribute to the information. Maybe not a lot, but some.. I was an idiot and used my resource crate. :x
Something most newbie traders regret painfully :)

/Zimoon