SWG crafter Utility

Ideas and discussions on third party tools and utilities

Moderator: Forum Moderator

kostic
Novice Crafter

SWG crafter Utility

Post by kostic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Here is what I have been working on for the past two months. It's still a little shaky but it's coming along nicely. It's not ready for release or anything, I just wanted to put the word out if anyone is interested in using it. The only pre-req is that you must use SQLExpress for the database. It's a free download. I will provide instructions for anyone interested in using it.

Here is a shortlist of things that this utility will do.
  • show current resources (thx swgcraft.co.uk)
  • allow you to choose what schematic you want to craft; see what the best resource to use is; also sub query the specific resource to get a better drilldown. It can be used for current spawn or Your inventory.
  • An inventory system that will allow you to add/remove/update your inventory
  • Columns that populate dynamically based on the experimentation properties (It won't show PE if only CD and OQ are required experimentation pieces)
Here is a screenshot:
swgcrafterUtility.PNG
swgcrafterUtility.PNG (23.83 KiB) Viewed 13844 times
Last edited by kostic on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Re: SWG crafter Utility

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:13 am

Well from the screen shot it looks intriguing and I really like the second point in the functions list, so look forward to seeing how it develops.

Sparc
Novice Crafter

Post by Sparc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:12 pm

Looks cool. A minor suggestion. In the screenshot shown, do a 2 factor sort. Sort first by resource class and second by value. Seeing similar resources together is usually easier.

kostic
Novice Crafter

Post by kostic » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 pm

I have added a few new things today.
  • When searching through the schematic resources, it will color the grid based on the resource requirement CAP and not the actual cap that the resource itself has.
    For example, the cap for CD on certain resources can be 600 but if the schematic requirement calls for Non-ferrous Metal (as you see in this screenshot), the non-ferrous metal CD cap is 1000. So if Non-ferrous metal CD cap is not taken into account the data being displayed is skewed.
  • I also added a percentage column. This column will calculate the percentage that the schematic calls for. For example, if the CD were 33% and the OQ were 66% on the Standard Ranged Weapon Core (it's actually 50/50) then the results would take 33% and multiply it by the CD value and take 66% and multiply it by the OQ value then add the two together to come up with the percentage column. This allows a user to sort the list based on the highest calculated percentage.
I think I will change the name of the "Percent "column to "Weight", maybe you can come up with a better column name.

I do realize that the percentages take into account the quantity of resource in which the schematic calls for.However, I don't think its necessary to calculate that because we just want to know the best overall resource for the job on that specific requirement for the schematic.

Sparc wrote:Looks cool. A minor suggestion. In the screenshot shown, do a 2 factor sort. Sort first by resource class and second by value. Seeing similar resources together is usually easier.
Sparc, this request was added.

swgcrafterUtilityResoView.PNG
swgcrafterUtilityResoView.PNG (61.44 KiB) Viewed 13843 times
Last edited by kostic on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:23 am

IS there any chance this will be extended to other crafts chiefly Beast Master Materials as it looks like it would ideally suited and extremely useful to that skill?

kostic
Novice Crafter

Post by kostic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 am

Monty Burns wrote:IS there any chance this will be extended to other crafts chiefly Beast Master Materials as it looks like it would ideally suited and extremely useful to that skill?
I am not exactly sure how beast master works. If it's similar to other crafting professions, then yes. Otherwise I may not have designed things to support beast master in the current iteration. When I become more familiar with how BM works, I will be able to give a better answer. I do know that if it has a schematic, and is craftable, then yes it will be included in this tool. I want to add every profession's craftable items. Currently I am using all of the GU5 weapon schematics since it was the most complete and up to date list that I could find which was already in a decent flat file format. When I find others, I will add them too.

Also, the user will be able to add schematics as well. If there are changes to current items or new items added, the user has control to update/add the data. I will most likely keep a master database available for download which will be up to date on schematics. Then you just have to replace your database with mine and when you re-open the program the current resources for your server will be re-added to your own database and therefore displayed on the grid. I'll try to toss up some screenies of the current resource tab. Currently I've only shown the screenies of the schematic resource grid.

velrahnkoon
Novice Crafter

Post by velrahnkoon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 am

kostic wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:IS there any chance this will be extended to other crafts chiefly Beast Master Materials as it looks like it would ideally suited and extremely useful to that skill?
I am not exactly sure how beast master works. If it's similar to other crafting professions, then yes. Otherwise I may not have designed things to support beast master in the current iteration. When I become more familiar with how BM works, I will be able to give a better answer. I do know that if it has a schematic, and is craftable, then yes it will be included in this tool. I want to add every profession's craftable items. Currently I am using all of the GU5 weapon schematics since it was the most complete and up to date list that I could find which was already in a decent flat file format. When I find others, I will add them too.

Also, the user will be able to add schematics as well. If there are changes to current items or new items added, the user has control to update/add the data. I will most likely keep a master database available for download which will be up to date on schematics. Then you just have to replace your database with mine and when you re-open the program the current resources for your server will be re-added to your own database and therefore displayed on the grid. I'll try to toss up some screenies of the current resource tab. Currently I've only shown the screenies of the schematic resource grid.

All the BM craftable items are rolled up into the other Trader professions, so if you're including every schematic then the answer is yes, this will support BM.

kostic
Novice Crafter

Post by kostic » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:15 pm

velrahnkoon wrote: All the BM craftable items are rolled up into the other Trader professions, so if you're including every schematic then the answer is yes, this will support BM.
Then yes, this will include BM stuff. :)

I wanted to share how getting your server resources will work.
  • There is a config file (see screenshot) that will have a list of information that can be changed to fit your server needs.
  • Within the current resource view (see first post in this thread for a screen shot) there will also be a "quick change" URL. This will allow you to jump to multiple servers without going into the config file to change the URL every time. Note that the "quick change" will not update the config file, it will still keep your "home" server URL. (unless you manually change the config file and re-run the app.).
  • I am using Zimoons URL for the resource cap file but it won't actually download anything so long as there is a resource cap .xml file in the same directory as the program executable.
  • Upon start up, it will attempt to download a new current resource file from swgcraft if the resource file it currently has is greater than one hour old or the resource file is not there.
Things I am currently adding:
  • User Inventory
  • Allow the user to add/update schematics
If anyone has a current list of schematic for any profession, please let me know. I would like to import them into the database. I am sure I can find something on the forums if no one has anything.
swgcrafterUtilityconfigFile.PNG
swgcrafterUtilityconfigFile.PNG (36.43 KiB) Viewed 13840 times

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:36 am

This all looks nice, but now we have another tool next to SWGAide and the JnF Tool.
Isn't there any chance to put all this together into one tool?
I hate it to keep my inventory updated in 3 tools.

You might want to contact Zimoon, if you both can merge your tiny tools.
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:45 am

Kirneh wrote:This all looks nice, but now we have another tool next to SWGAide and the JnF Tool.
Isn't there any chance to put all this together into one tool?
I hate it to keep my inventory updated in 3 tools.

You might want to contact Zimoon, if you both can merge your tiny tools.
Kostic and I am already discussing behind the curtains, he is a nice guy. I invite all Java programmers to chime in, the community would really benefit from it :)

However, as I wrote in another general thread, users may or may not always want to have just one choice. On the other hand, having several immature applications, none good enough, is not a great choice either.

/Zimoon

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:09 am

At least there should be one inventory database, which should be used by all tools. The inventory is the most work intensive part to keep it up to date.

Perhabs there is an option to build a database with a simple GUI to work with. And all 3 major tools get access to it. So everyone can take the tool of his/her choice, but if you use more than one tool, you only need to build your inventory one time.

Anyway, as I am not a programmer at all, I will leave the decissions to the folks who know their business.

And to mention it again: You always do a good job for the community!
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:37 am

Kirneh wrote:At least there should be one inventory database, which should be used by all tools. The inventory is the most work intensive part to keep it up to date.

Perhabs there is an option to build a database with a simple GUI to work with. And all 3 major tools get access to it. So everyone can take the tool of his/her choice, but if you use more than one tool, you only need to build your inventory one time.

Anyway, as I am not a programmer at all, I will leave the decissions to the folks who know their business.

And to mention it again: You always do a good job for the community!
I agree with this and it is what I meant by "interoperability", I can live with multiple tools but I would love to see them using some shared services such as inventories.
It would also be helpful if they were all inked from a single site for ease of tracking them down etc.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:12 am

I disagree if you by "database" really means database. That requires a user to be able to install a database and to my knowledge there is no database that for example my wife is able to install, only to mention one person that likes to use a computer for her basic needs but is absolutely computer illiterate when it comes to more than that. Not all SWG players are also computer nerds.

However, I fully agree that our tools should be capable of sharing files, which kind of circumvents the problem. SWGAide supports that fully.

Should anybody come up with the means for a centralized inventory database accessible over Internet, fine, just publish the specifications of the SOAP actions and the file formats. I suggest both ways since files (mainly XML) is useful for the bigger data chunks booth up and down, but SOAP actions are great for small entities.

At a side note, SWGCraft provides remote access to its resource database using SOAP actions, which is why SWGAide does not need to have a full database of all resources ever at the harddisk. The inventory is local though. Even then SWGAide minimizes all stress on SWGCraft by avoiding any unwanted network connection by wasting bandwidth.

/Zimoon

Sparc
Novice Crafter

Post by Sparc » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Not to go too far off-topic but I made the suggestion in a post a few months ago....I wasnt the first but, it would seem SWGCraft is probably the best place to host the data.

http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewto ... 7176#p7176

Edra
Novice Crafter

Post by Edra » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:09 pm

When will this be available? I sent the op a pm but haven't gotten a response.