Adding resources

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Ryokincaid
Novice Crafter

Adding resources

Post by Ryokincaid » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Would it be possible to get a text input box a la swgcraft.com?

I'm used to copy/pasting from the notepad in-game, and it's the only thing that's keeping all my updating efforts at swgcraft.com, and letting the importer bring it over here.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Re: Adding resources

Post by Zimoon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Ryokincaid wrote:Would it be possible to get a text input box a la swgcraft.com?

I'm used to copy/pasting from the notepad in-game, and it's the only thing that's keeping all my updating efforts at swgcraft.com, and letting the importer bring it over here.
There is one, at the bottom of each planetary resource page. Even the formatting is the same as old SWGCraft.com.

Or do you mean something else.

/Z

Ryokincaid
Novice Crafter

Post by Ryokincaid » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:17 am

Ok, I see what you are referring to, and I did miss it.

There's a format issue at work that should probably be addressed, then. If you go to Current Resources, almost the very first thing you see is

Add Resources

and in bold, at that. You click that, there's no text input box. Just a single item manual box and a file/browse input line for ISD droids. My first inclination was that this was where I needed to be to input current resources, when it's not.

Perhaps an Add Resources as it is, then a second one like swgcraft does that says something like Add Resources (bottom of page).

I almost never scroll all the way down, and never even knew it was there.

Just a suggestion :)
Unity Hold Engineering
City of Unity's Hold
Naboo
Wanderhome

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am

Have to agree on this one... on the original site, it said "Add Resources (Bottom of page)" and when you clicked that, it jumped to the bottom of the page where the input box is.

Maybe another way to do it would be to have that input box on the same page as the individual resource adding... so when you jump there, you have both options.

I'm curious, on the resource add page, if you use an ISD input (Does this just need to be the email??), does it automatically mark resources as unavailable, and copy stats over that ARE available from other planets, leaving only the ones that it doesn't have stats for yet?

If it doesn't work like this, it would be great if it loaded the ISD file for a planet, marked unavailable any resource that is showing on the planet but isn't in the ISD file (That's older than the ISD file), including marking unavailable across planets for multi-planet resources... It should then mark available on the planet automatically any resources that are in the galaxy, but not reported for that planet yet (That are in the ISD file), and then fill the input box with:

swgcraft_start
resourcename1,resourcetype1,
resourcename2,resourcetype2,
swgcraft_end

We could then just copy that into the game, fill the ones that are missing, and copy it back to the input box.

Just wondering how close to this it's already working?

J

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:16 am

ATM it's just adding resources and availabilities (Which means that if a resource is already on another planet, it will use those stats.... Otherwise, no stats)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:17 am

I just wonder, while at the topic. Would it be good to have both input features at the very same page? I mean, would it be good to have the text area input at both places, where it is now and at the "tiny" input field page?

Another question: what about skipping the extra, and today unnecessary, step after submitting? That is the one with the link "Click here to return to the 'Current Resources' page". Or at least make it optional? Today it is often one extra step that not really adds much to the experience.

Just a few thoughts before I have started the caffeinating process to wake up ;)

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:20 am

Zimoon wrote:I just wonder, while at the topic. Would it be good to have both input features at the very same page? I mean, would it be good to have the text area input at both places, where it is now and at the "tiny" input field page?

Well, it could be added on the other page too if you guys feel it is necessary... It's just a simple textbox... Another page takes care of the formatting...

Another question: what about skipping the extra, and today unnecessary, step after submitting? That is the one with the link "Click here to return to the 'Current Resources' page". Or at least make it optional? Today it is often one extra step that not really adds much to the experience.

Well, the page does tell you if any resource you tried to add can't be added for one reason or another

Just a few thoughts before I have started the caffeinating process to wake up ;)

/Z
RED

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:41 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:...

Well, the page does tell you if any resource you tried to add can't be added for one reason or another
RED
Oki doki. Yeah, and certainly not a super high priority. What if it was only presented in the case of error?

Personally I hated this extra step and its extra mouse movement/click at the old SWGCraft.com so I guess the annoyance is still there ;)

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:54 am

Zimoon wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:...

RED
Oki doki. Yeah, and certainly not a super high priority. What if it was only presented in the case of error?

Personally I hated this extra step and its extra mouse movement/click at the old SWGCraft.com so I guess the annoyance is still there ;)

/Z
Sounds good, should be possible with the recoding I am doing of it atm (Internal code, layout isn't changing)