Suggestion for Parser

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Suggestion for Parser

Post by xhara » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Hey guys and gals,

First time posting on these forums, but I have been using this to update resources forever. Those of us updating Reckoning's resources are having some issues with the parser. Though we appreciate what it does, it's causing more issues than not as of late. This is because the people updating GH are inputting resources erroneously (misspells, adding planets that the resource isn't on, etc). We're wondering if it would be a good idea/possible for anyone who logs in to swgcraft to have "Remove" privileges for the parser, like we do for our own updates.

Thank you kindly for your time and upkeep of this site.

-X|Z

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Suggestion for Parser

Post by Savacc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:43 am

Sobuno and I (and Slyvampy, of course) can remove resources, just let us know which ones.

If you are asking for another person to have "admin", it would have to be someone we know and trust.

If you are asking for someone with "admin" only for Reckoning's resources, Sobuno would have to tell you if that is even possible.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Unfortunately, GH does not provide us with a static unique ID for keeping track of changes. The only unique ID they provide is the name which, as you pointed out yourself, is not static.

As Savacc mentioned, the moderators and admins of the site can remove resources completely. It is not possible to have someone only able to remove resources for a specific server at this time.

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Post by xhara » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:58 pm

I see. Thank you anyways :)

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Post by xhara » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Savacc wrote:Sobuno and I (and Slyvampy, of course) can remove resources, just let us know which ones.

If you are asking for another person to have "admin", it would have to be someone we know and trust.

If you are asking for someone with "admin" only for Reckoning's resources, Sobuno would have to tell you if that is even possible.
The idea was for people who login to see the "Remove" option and be able to use it when the parser adds a resource to a planet it is not spawned on.

Ms.Chif and I dedicate a lot of time (she more than I) to keeping resources updated here on swgcraft for our server (and for ourselves, not gonna lie). We had minor issues in the past with the parser importing typo'd resources and Ms.Chif has requested for you guys to remove them every time she encountered them. Lately, it just feels like these aren't accidents. We know that a lot of people prefer GH to swgcraft, but we don't. Is this a way to make it more annoying for us to update this and not GH? Gotta say it kinda feels like it. For a while, we would see that a resource was listed on swgcraft for a planet and not on the list provided in the survey tool, so we would mark it unavailable and then find it elsewhere later on. We've since learned to assume the parser's entry is erroneous and ignore it.

Here are a few current errors:

Vaowoite, Crism Siliclastic Ore - not on Rori.
Kimowia, Class 1 Radioactive - not on Tatooine.
Ipanoosis, Hardened Arveshium Steel - not on Endor.

We had a few others we were living with, but they've shifted out.

Incorrectresource <-- this was a resource with a completely different name than the actual current resource. I renamed it, changed all of its stats to "1", and made it unavailable.

We'll likely just live with the incorrect planet entries--having these corrected just seems trivial hehe.

Thanks again :-)

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:35 pm

Sobuno would have to answer this, but I suspect that if GH has an incorrect entry it will be added to SWGCraft by the SWG Parser once every day till GH corrects its error, even if we correct it for our current resources. I would be extremely impressed with Sobuno's programing skills if he coded a way to check the parser for errors we flagged.

We can discuss it, but giving every user the power to edit entries by the parser does not strike me as a good idea. Just too much opportunity for serious damage to our database.

How is GH getting its updates for your server. Who is giving them the incorrect info?

Marking incorrect resources as unavailable is not how we would like you to be "fixing" the problem. We would prefer that you tell us and let us remove the resource. Renaming and editing the resource's stats is better, but letting us totally remove it is best. In fact, I have removed "incorrectresource". The odds that a new resource would be named "incorrectresource" have got to extreme, but...

I removed Kimowia from Tat and Ipanoosis from Endor. Vaowoite seems to be out of spawn now.

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Post by xhara » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks! :-)

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Post by xhara » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:34 am

My final thought for this issue is, why not make the listed planets be editable anyways? We can edit the name, the type, the stats, why not the planet(s) as well? :-)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:33 am

It is possible to have SWGCraft Parser behave in different ways based on what has happened to the resources here. The question is what would the consequences be:

The logic can be based on who last "touched" the resource, i.e. made modifications to it - this includes all modifications, i.e. editing the stats, name, marking available, marking unavailable and deleting. Based on this, the SWGCraft Parser could be programmed to not use information from GH if some user that is not SWGCraft Parser has modified it over here. The question here is basically about trust: Do we trust our local users more than GH users?

This would mean however that the given resource would no longer be marked unavailable when it disappears from GH either (Unless auto-despawn because a new resource pops up).

There are other issues with having the parser in general: Since GH does not provide a stable, unique ID, name changes are problematic. Currently, if resource A is renamed to B at GH, we have no way of knowing that B is the same resource as A, just renamed. Thus, the Parser will create a new resource B here, making it look like B has been in spawn much shorter. Since A is no longer present at the exported list from Galaxy Harvester but still has an "imported" check-mark in the database, the Parser's logic assumes it has been marked unavailable and does the same here. Thus the name change will be reflected here, but in a way that leaves erroneous data in the database (Resource A is just marked as unavailable, not deleted)

This is also an issue at the moment if the resource A is renamed to B at our site instead. The "imported" marking is not removed from the renamed resource B, so when A is spotted in the GH list, it is added to the site. Likewise, since we cannot spot B in the list because nobody has fixed the error on GH, it is removed. Thus, our attempt at fixing names fail. This issue could be fixed by trusting the local changes over the remote changes as mentioned above.

SWGCraft Parser originates from importing resources from Trokk's old SWGCraft site (hence the name). The logic worked fine there as each resource had a stable, unique ID that we could relate to. However, a lot of issues crop up when this is not the case, the above are probably just a few. The closest thing we get to a stable ID is the timestamp for when the information was added to GH, but that is only down to second precision, which might not be unique.

Savacc

Post by Savacc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:33 pm

xhara wrote:My final thought for this issue is, why not make the listed planets be editable anyways? We can edit the name, the type, the stats, why not the planet(s) as well? :-)
I was thinking that too. How much more damage could someone do if they could edit the planets, than they can already?

Sobuno, it sounds to me like maybe we do need to do something that prioritizes a change made locally over the SWGParser feed from GH.

I asked before, where is GH getting its info for SWGReconing? Are you aware there is a way for SWGReconing to send a resource feed directly to us (it would still be the "parser" that imports it though)

xhara
Apprentice Crafter

Post by xhara » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:54 pm

Savacc wrote:I asked before, where is GH getting its info for SWGReconing? Are you aware there is a way for SWGReconing to send a resource feed directly to us (it would still be the "parser" that imports it though)
Players who prefer GH to SWGCraft update GH--our server doesn't update GH directly, though I do believe there is an effort being made to make this happen.

Kyrsty
Novice Crafter

Post by Kyrsty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm

I know this is old thread, but I 100% prefer SWGCraft Project to Galaxy Harvester. Only advantage if you can call it that, is its prettier. Not better for what we need as crafters. GH is also more complicated to navigate and takes longer to find information you need. Time spent in SWGCraft Project is minimal. I can get in, find what I want to know, and get out. My time is more important than seeing something prettier.