Redesign of 'Current Resources' page

Discussion and suggestions regarding the site and/or forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:30 pm

Tekro wrote:I wouldn't say his suggestion was pointless.

At least not for structure, domestics & engineer - who often are looking for non-named resources.
I think he was suggesting that every stat was colored depending on its value. We do have coloring of stat percentages at 75% or higher percentage of the cap of the specific resource (aswell as coloring of 750 or higher on the stat itself)

Slyvampy
Lead Developer

Post by Slyvampy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Quinner wrote:New look is awesome!!!!! Great Job Sly and company!
im afraid to say i cant take any credit for the new design of the current resources page, that was all 100% Sobuno. Ive been working on other things more recently. :P Though we do have a remodel'd version out soon!

huush huush about it ;P
Slyvampy
Founder, SWGCraft.org
http://www.swgcraft.org

Milla
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Milla » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:40 am

At least not for structure, domestics & engineer - who often are looking for non-named resources.
It is still pointless because if his suggestion were implemented it would effectively remove the resource cap specific coloring of resource stats, which is a great feature of this site, compared to the old one.

Structure, domestic and engineer traders who are looking for non-named resources can use the Find Resources feature on this site (tick Only Available, select e.g. Low-Grade Ore, use "Minimum value" in the 'Search By' field, and enter 900 as the value of the relevant stat).

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:07 am

Milla wrote:Structure, domestic and engineer traders who are looking for non-named resources can use the Find Resources feature on this site (tick Only Available, select e.g. Low-Grade Ore, use "Minimum value" in the 'Search By' field, and enter 900 as the value of the relevant stat).
I agree! Do not start mixing too much with colors, it will soon be a mess hard to read. Find resources is great.

I already see some different coloring between stats and their %-ages, but no explanation.

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:09 am

Zimoon wrote:
Milla wrote:Structure, domestic and engineer traders who are looking for non-named resources can use the Find Resources feature on this site (tick Only Available, select e.g. Low-Grade Ore, use "Minimum value" in the 'Search By' field, and enter 900 as the value of the relevant stat).
I agree! Do not start mixing too much with colors, it will soon be a mess hard to read. Find resources is great.

I already see some different coloring between stats and their %-ages, but no explanation.

/Z
The stat coloring is of 1000 while the percentage is based on the specific class cap

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:24 am

Sobuno wrote:
Zimoon wrote:

The stat coloring is of 1000 while the percentage is based on the specific class cap
I'd say it is OK as is, please, do not add more to it.

To Motamba, no, there is certainly no need to spell out what is bad. For a Trader the only interesting resources are
  • Amazing resource -- which can be boosted to 100 % with Expertise
  • Great resources -- above 90 %, Expertize excluded
  • Good resources -- for beginners I think 800 (80 %) is good enough, seasoned Traders will not settle with that
It is simply better to ignore bad resources as bad, why bother with them?

/Zimoon

Tekro
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Tekro » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:54 pm

Milla wrote:

It is still pointless because if his suggestion were implemented it would effectively remove the resource cap specific coloring of resource stats, which is a great feature of this site, compared to the old one.

Structure, domestic and engineer traders who are looking for non-named resources can use the Find Resources feature on this site (tick Only Available, select e.g. Low-Grade Ore, use "Minimum value" in the 'Search By' field, and enter 900 as the value of the relevant stat).
Why do those looking for the non-named resources have to use find resources? Why can't others use it as well?

I don't understand. It sounds like you want it this way because it's the way you do it.

Not trying to start an arguement, I just don't see compelling evidence that says his suggestion was pointless. It still makes sense to me.

P.S. I'll be happy with, and continue to use the site either way. I'm not pushing for this guys suggestion so much as just pointing out that his suggestion wasn't really "pointless".
Wepo Gage

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:07 pm

It wasn't pointless, but his suggestion about having all stats colored in some way is pointless. You are indeed correct that having stats above 900 colored is good, but is already implemented. (We have colors for stats 750 and above, with special colors for 900+ and another color for the ones able to teach 1000 with the 4% bonus)

So, in the end, his suggestion was already implemented in some way

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Can we finish this arguing, Sobuno wrote:
Sobuno wrote:The stat coloring is of 1000 while the percentage is based on the specific class cap
Then it is clear, an entry looking such as this one (today at Gorath):
Egrisis, Rethin Inert Gas (SWGCraft Parser / --) (Unavailable)
ER CR CD DR FL HR MA PE OQ SR UT
- - - 752 - - - - 906 - -
- - - 94% - - - - 90.6% - -

(Sorry for the formatting

Code: Select all

eats the coloring, anyway, should be DR and OQ)

... shows the DR having over 700 (green) but acrtually being over 90% (orange) at the same time. OQ is both over 900%/90%.

Perhaps 700 (70%) is a tad low, 800 (80%) could be more apt.

Conclusion, implementation is there, nothing to quarrel about.
/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Made the page look more alike to what was intended in IE (Was designed with FF).

Also, removed unavailable links and checkboxes for unregistered visitors

Night everybody!

-Sobuno

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Hovering the mouse over a availability chart (The box that says when the resource spawned) will now tell you if the resource is in spawn on other planets. Only applicable if All Planets is selected of course.

-Sobuno
Last edited by Sobuno on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Redesign of 'Current Resources' page

Post by Sobuno » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 pm

Did a recoding of some parts of the page (Introduced true recursiveness instead of our fake ugly code), let me know if you encounter any bugs