Bulk Update

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Bulk Update

Post by Sun-Tzu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Is there a way to bulk update the resources?

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Re: Bulk Update

Post by Sun-Tzu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:49 pm

Found this.

If you want to enter multiple resources enter the names of all the resources
seperating the list using spaces, commas or line breaks e.g. resource1,resource2,resource3

When it says Resource1 is that the name of the resource or the name of the particular spawn, where do I put the stats? Sorry for the n00b questions...

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Post by Sun-Tzu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:50 pm

also do i do a planet at a time or can i just update say all carni meat then all herbi meat etc...

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:22 pm

Sun-Tzu wrote:Found this.

If you want to enter multiple resources enter the names of all the resources
seperating the list using spaces, commas or line breaks e.g. resource1,resource2,resource3

When it says Resource1 is that the name of the resource or the name of the particular spawn, where do I put the stats? Sorry for the n00b questions...
Resource would be the name of a particular spawn. Stats would be input on next page.

You can also do it like this:
swgcraft_start
Resource1, class1, stat1, stat2, stat3, stat4 etc.
Resource2, class2. stat1. stat2. stat3. stat4
swgcraft_end
Class can be shortened (Corellian Fiberplast = Core Fib) as long as the database knows exactly which class you are adding.

It is done on a planet-by-planet basis, yes

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Post by Sun-Tzu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Thanks. Not particularly easy to update as I check via a res crate and do it by resource type and not planet...

Belisama
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Belisama » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Sun-Tzu wrote:Thanks. Not particularly easy to update as I check via a res crate and do it by resource type and not planet...
As me. Usual i check them by resource type. and then i sort the lines with copy & paste... ;)
Your domestic trader at Starsider TOG Mall: Tat WP -5101 -3308
You have resource for sale ? Check the TOG Holonet Channel for my offer
In Memoriam for all BE

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Just a comment, while adding resources there are two different ways to bulk update.
  1. Resourcename1,Resourcename2,Resourcename3,...
  2. swgcraft_start
    Resourcename1,class1,stat1,stat2,stat3,stat4,...
    Resourcename2,class2,stat1,stat2,stat3,stat4,...
    swgcraft_end
Number 1 is when you have several names of known resources, e.g., they are known at other planets but not at the one you are submitting data for.

Number 2 is when you have new resources for the galaxy/planet you submit data for, where neither names, classes, nor stats are previously reported to SWGCraft
or
you are submitting resource stats another time to verify a report somebody else did.

Only to clear out possible confusion, if there ever was any ;)

/Z

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Zimoon wrote: you are submitting resource stats another time to verify a report somebody else did.
A verification system is not in place yet.

-Sobuno

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Post by Sun-Tzu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

anything that can be done to make this easier and more user friendly?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 am

Sun-Tzu wrote:anything that can be done to make this easier and more user friendly?
That is what SWGAide is thought for :)

I am not one of the developers at this site so I am free to think ;)

A web-based UI is always limited!
The GUI for submitting one resource is nice but has the limitation that you need to type the resource name, select a resource class from a drop-down list, TAB through a number of input fields, hit a button, and finally click a link to get back to an empty input page for the next one. All input screens are like this, some are more intelligent such as pre-filled values, but that ain't possible for resource data.

The bulk input text field has kind of a history from the ancient .com site, it looked that way and hundreds of players are used to it. Even if you change its format it must contain the name and the class of the resource, plus possible stats. How would you submit that differently?

Many seasoned crafters tend to have a template in their "notes.txt" file which they open in game, types all the mentioned data in game. Out of game they open the file in for example MSNotepad and while browsing SWGCraft they copy blob after blob from the open file and paste it into the bulk field. Hence, the simplicity of the format is intentionally since it is used both in game and for pasting to the web form.

Even if you take away the delimiting "swgcraft_start" and "swgcraft_end" you still need to have the mentioned data, right? It is of course doable to take away the delimiting lines, it takes a rewrite of the logic so if the second item is a resource class it would treat the blob as alternative 2, otherwise alternative 1.

The main problem is not necessarily with the site but the fact that SWG as such is that vast and spawns/depletes resources that frequently, which I find interesting and adds a touch to the game that no other games have.

My suggestion is to use ISDroids. If you are not an Engineer, ask a friendly one for cheap crates or a manufacture schematic for a batch. You can manufacture cheap survey tools from recycled metal yourself. That minor expense will save you a lot of trouble typing, except for the creature resources which are not possible to send droids for, on the other hand they are easily read in the 30k Vet Reward crate.

ISDroids do report the existence of the resource type you survey for. By comparing the reports with previous reports and what is read at SWGCraft you can quickly see what is new and what is depleted.

It is exactly that SWGAide does, however, at the moment you must do some copy&paste from the notes panel at SWGAide into the bulk input field. I just took a break from coding the automatic upload from the notes file to SWGCraft when I found this thread. That is, I am adding a feature that will replace the copy&paste with a click at a button and a few seconds later they are uploaded. WHat takes the most time is to surround the code with safety precautions ;)

/Zimoon

Sun-Tzu
Novice Crafter

Post by Sun-Tzu » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Sun-Tzu wrote:anything that can be done to make this easier and more user friendly?
That is what SWGAide is thought for :)

I am not one of the developers at this site so I am free to think ;)

A web-based UI is always limited!
The GUI for submitting one resource is nice but has the limitation that you need to type the resource name, select a resource class from a drop-down list, TAB through a number of input fields, hit a button, and finally click a link to get back to an empty input page for the next one. All input screens are like this, some are more intelligent such as pre-filled values, but that ain't possible for resource data.

The bulk input text field has kind of a history from the ancient .com site, it looked that way and hundreds of players are used to it. Even if you change its format it must contain the name and the class of the resource, plus possible stats. How would you submit that differently?

Many seasoned crafters tend to have a template in their "notes.txt" file which they open in game, types all the mentioned data in game. Out of game they open the file in for example MSNotepad and while browsing SWGCraft they copy blob after blob from the open file and paste it into the bulk field. Hence, the simplicity of the format is intentionally since it is used both in game and for pasting to the web form.

Even if you take away the delimiting "swgcraft_start" and "swgcraft_end" you still need to have the mentioned data, right? It is of course doable to take away the delimiting lines, it takes a rewrite of the logic so if the second item is a resource class it would treat the blob as alternative 2, otherwise alternative 1.

The main problem is not necessarily with the site but the fact that SWG as such is that vast and spawns/depletes resources that frequently, which I find interesting and adds a touch to the game that no other games have.

My suggestion is to use ISDroids. If you are not an Engineer, ask a friendly one for cheap crates or a manufacture schematic for a batch. You can manufacture cheap survey tools from recycled metal yourself. That minor expense will save you a lot of trouble typing, except for the creature resources which are not possible to send droids for, on the other hand they are easily read in the 30k Vet Reward crate.

ISDroids do report the existence of the resource type you survey for. By comparing the reports with previous reports and what is read at SWGCraft you can quickly see what is new and what is depleted.

It is exactly that SWGAide does, however, at the moment you must do some copy&paste from the notes panel at SWGAide into the bulk input field. I just took a break from coding the automatic upload from the notes file to SWGCraft when I found this thread. That is, I am adding a feature that will replace the copy&paste with a click at a button and a few seconds later they are uploaded. WHat takes the most time is to surround the code with safety precautions ;)

/Zimoon
I can't even remember what ISD's do...been years since i last used one...does it bring back the stats? Is it in the form of a mail or something?

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Sun-Tzu wrote:I can't even remember what ISD's do...been years since i last used one...does it bring back the stats? Is it in the form of a mail or something?
The ISDroid is a consumable droid, that is, it comes with a number of uses, and you don't really see it fly away as it is just a few screens and a system message telling how long time before it reports back.

Both the number of uses and the time until it reports back depends on resources used, but ranges something like 6 to 15 uses, 15 to 45 minutes.

To send it out you must have a survey tool to waste in your inventory. That tool is also consumed but as you can manufacture them from recycled metal it is almost negligible. You first have to choose a planet (any of the ten core planets) and next screen you choose one of the listed kinds of survey tools.

It reports back all current resources of the chosen kind at the planet it was sent to, nothing else. In a in-game mail, yes, saved with the command /mailsave. As I mentioned above this enables you to see any new and any depleted resource. While that doesn't sound at first much that still saves you a lot of trouble finding out what is new and what is gone, which is not a negligible task.

Once you know what is new, a few resources a day at most, you open up your 30k Vet Reward crate and reads the stats for the new resources from it, jot down the values in a notes file to use for updating SWGCraft and for your own purposes. Or you simply updates SWGCraft without stats, that is OK with me (and I am used to getting bashed for that point of view 8) ).

Once you know what is depleted you want to go stop the harvesters that now idle and perhaps change them to something new and hot.

I am making progress with SWGAide, but it will take a week or so before I have tested it enough to dare run it against SWGCraft live. I don't want anything nasty to happen to the database here, would I?

By the way, since a few chapters ago you can open the in-game notepad and use any file you want, as long as it is a text file located in the account folder. Assume you want a file named "abc", then you can open it in-game with the command /note abc. If it doesn't exist it is created on the fly. Out of game you will find it in C:\Programs\StarWarsGalaxies\profiles\accountname\abc.txt
Notice the file suffix which is added by SWG, but in-game you never type that. This is a textfile and you can open it in SWGAide, MSNotepad, MSWordpad, or other simple editors.

/Zimoon