Help with My Res

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

lehorton
Novice Crafter

Help with My Res

Post by lehorton » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Has anyone encountered this issue:

Have My Res installed, downloaded the current version of the resource tree with caps from
EDITED: Files now found at http://simongronlund.googlepages.com/swgresourcefiles

Imported it, no errors. But now the "consider resource caps" box is greyed out and not checked on the display tab of all my resources.

Please help :)
Last edited by Zimoon on Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed URL

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:51 pm

You are perfectly right :shock:

I haven't noticed and I have no explanation. I believe Wendano has left SWG since I haven't heard from him in ages. He got quite upset the day some morons hacked and destroyed his great site and the forum. He actually had a database where people could add hotspots where the concentration where high, displayed at planet maps. Yes, it was cool 8)

Do you have a backup of the previous XML file? Otherwise I can hand you one that is quite old.

I'll be back in an hours or so.

/Z

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:30 pm

Hey Zimoon, how's it going?

I am looking for a schematic file for MyRes as well... Do you still have these files? Specifically, I need the Engineer stuff, mostly Droid Eng.

As of about 4 weeks ago myself and LOTS of my friends have decided to come back to the game... Really enjoying it!

J

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:33 am

Just went to that link, and got exactly what I needed... Yeah, I'm a little slow today...

J

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:28 am

Welcome back with all your friends, looks like SWG Is picking up speed again. At he moment we are all looking forward to chapter 7 which not only looks promising but great :D The Aurillia Village comes back but in another form. High level content with something called collections (nothing for soloing and cowards I am told.

Good that you found those files. I must tell you, they are old and not updated in a long time. Somebody told me MyRes chokes on the resource file, no longer possible to filter with caps considered. Probably MyRes had some assumption hard coded which is no longer true, but I assure you, the file still mets the XTD (layout schema) so ... :cry: Nothing I can do there.

Stay tuned though. This site seems to be adding a few features each week. Schematics is on the backlog. The resource file you found is up to date. And more is in the pipe line :)

/Z

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:30 pm

So are there any other tools out there with regards to crafting/resources?

I used MyRes way back, so that's why I came back to it... And I must admit it's probably the best so far that I've found. The filtering/schematics make it SO easy to figure out what I need for a specific product.

Of course, having proper resource caps in place would be nice... I didn't realize that an agrinium aluminum spawn was actually pretty good until I found this link at the old swgcraft:

http://www.swgcraft.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9957

I wonder if Wendano (That was his name right?) is still around... maybe he'd pass his source onto one of us to continue enhancing it... As usual, I've got hundreds of ideas to improve it!

J

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Just a comment on the above post:

We do actually have the caps listed on this site, it's just not linked to from any place thus making it hard to find:

http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res=289 would the aluminum you mentioned

The easiest way to browse the caps page would probably be: http://www.swgcraft.co.uk/dev/resource_info.php?res= and then clicking the links

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:24 pm

Ok, plain and simple, that is an awesome feature... I love how you can drill down and see the caps of the resource groups, like Metal, or Aluminum, and then drill down directly to the specific resource type.

Nice work!

So this isn't linked from any of the other pages on the site?

Do you have a list of things you are working on for the site? How can we get involved?

Ultimately, a tool that replaces MyRes completely would be amazing... something that lets you store your resource stock, keep track of your harvester locations and the BER they are getting, automatically updating resource stock... A "Favorite schematics" link, that lets you choose a schematic, and then mark that you produced "x" number of this schematic, and remove the resources used from your stock... Also the ability to view a schematic from a resource perspective, seeing your own resources compared against the current resources available, taking resource caps into account (MyRes does not seem to show resource caps, so you don't know for example when "Agrinium Aluminum" has stats near the top, because they are all sub-500)

I would also like to help out with getting the missing DE schematics in... some of the new droid types etc are not there. Is there a way to add more schematics?

Also, I think the schematics area needs a way to drill down by trader type, and then even subclass... like Engineer -> Droid Engineer -> Modules/Kits/Deeds/Chassis'/Misc.

Sorry for going on and on, as Zimoon can account for, I'm full of ideas :P

J

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Nope, the page is only linked through some different posts I've made in this forum

Missing schematics should be reported here: http://swgcraft.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=229

I don't have a list of the features I am coding at the moment, but currently I am doing a bit of recoding some internal code in the hope that it helps prevent bugs (And to get the site ready for a 'Recent Changes' page like on SWGCraft.com)

I must admit that I've never used MyRes so I don't know how handy it is. An experienced programmer could make his own desktop client that would interact with our site through SOAP (And if the SOAP server needs additional functions, please tell me). Some features like the ones you mentioned would be cool though

Regarding the drilling down by type of schematics, is it seperated in anyway ingame (Does the Engineer profession split into two?)?

Ultimatively, we would like as many features on this site as possible, but due to work (In Slyvampy's case) and school (in my case) we don't have infinite amounts of time, so we have to get core stuff done first (Such as synchronization between the old site and this one)

Also, integration between the forums and the site is nice too like this BBCode [res]Farstar:Awek[/res] ([*res]Farstar:Awek[/res] without the *)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Jhaerel wrote:Ultimately, a tool that replaces MyRes completely would be amazing
The so far quite tiny tool linked to in my signature is the first step in that direction. I have used MyRes since it went public beta, Wendano is no longer around and I haven't heard from him in ages. The tool has some major flaws, such as crashing irregularly but not seldom, and not being that slick. Nevertheless, it is what I am aiming for. If I only had more spare time :cry:

I welcome your input and enhancement ideas on SWGAide, any day ( ).

/Zimoon

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:57 pm

That bbcode is pretty sweet... nice work on that!

You are right, it doesn't drill down below for example "Engineer" in swg... but even organizing the schematics under the 4 traders would be handy. I don't need to know what Domestics makes, because I'm an Eng trader, however I still have to look through all of their schematics when looking for my own.

I would like to comment on one thing... on the old site (swgcraft.com) I found it easier to "see" the resources when browsing the resources on a given planet... it was a visual thing... Is there any way to change the "theme" or "style" of the pages? Another thing I noticed, is that I find it harder to see the stars here (***) ... They don't stand out as much... And for me, those stars are an important part of my decision in grabbing a resource.

Ultimately, the stars are not a good indicator, given that the resources have caps based on their type. The stars are based on how many stats are over 900, but what good does that do me for Agrinium Aluminum (To continue my example), which never has stats over about 500?

In my opinion, a better rating system would be to have the actual numbers show up in different colors. Red = the stat is in the lowest 10% of it's range. Yellow = 10 to 20%, Black = 20 to 80%, Blue - 80 to 90%, and green = 90 to 100%. It would be much easier this way to see when a resource is falling into the high side of it's specific range, and is worth picking up. Some people probably don't realize that a specific resource they need that's on the ground right now is almost as good as it gets, and they choose to pass it by waiting for a better spawn.

To continue, on the resource display page, the + and - indicators might be better served by + and - graphics in boxes, that are slightly larger than the + and - that you already have there... would be easier to click on them...

And finally, It would be nice to see the resource stats themselves bolded, and the Name and type of each resource one point size bigger.

I'm only 28, and i'm having trouble seeing them :P

J

Jhaerel
Novice Crafter

Post by Jhaerel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Jhaerel wrote:Ultimately, a tool that replaces MyRes completely would be amazing
The so far quite tiny tool linked to in my signature is the first step in that direction. I have used MyRes since it went public beta, Wendano is no longer around and I haven't heard from him in ages. The tool has some major flaws, such as crashing irregularly but not seldom, and not being that slick. Nevertheless, it is what I am aiming for. If I only had more spare time :cry:

/Zimoon
Hey Zimoon, I looked at your tool, and it looks pretty useful! One question I had about it, I usually run one or two sessions of SWG on my desktop, and then use a laptop next to it for checking resources and runnign apps, reading web pages etc... Can your program work over a network? Could I just share the directory that it needs, and view the screenshots and email from the other computer?

J

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:38 pm

Jhaerel wrote:
Zimoon wrote:

/Zimoon
Hey Zimoon, I looked at your tool, and it looks pretty useful! One question I had about it, I usually run one or two sessions of SWG on my desktop, and then use a laptop next to it for checking resources and runnign apps, reading web pages etc... Can your program work over a network? Could I just share the directory that it needs, and view the screenshots and email from the other computer?

J
Quick answer is "No!"

Interesting idea though, but with the current backlog, very low priority. Honestly that would require a lot more work on my part than I can spare until most, or all, features I plan for are in place.

Some features I plan for won't work unless you run SWGAide at the same computer as the game since it will need instant access to files such as notes files.

Glad you like it so far. I am aware of some bugs and that the album's performance has a lot to wish for.

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:43 pm

On second thought.

If you could somehow share folders seemlessly, so that SWGAide for example thinks SWG is in K:\somepath\StarWarsGalaxies\ then it is no problem. That requires your OS to run the networked file system. I am no Windows guru so don't ask me.

If you figure out something, don't hesitate your results in the proposed thread for SWGAide.

Kindly

/Z

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:45 pm

Ooops, SWGAide will want reading/writing access both ways, not only for reading. That is if you want to use some of the features such as saving an edited notes file. In the future that will be more prominent.
/Z