Adding in resources and stats

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Adding in resources and stats

Post by Sobuno » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:39 am

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:
Fair enough but there are checks earlier than this page is it a necessity?

Just to be clear, this (See below) is the screen we're talking about? It does bring forth new information (The stats exceed our known caps thus asking the user if he/she might have made a mistake)
Ok I was wrong about the adding resources screens (I actually think I was looking at the process of adding a resource that already existed ie adding it to a new planet, which gives you a third screen with no useful info) but I still think that the third screen on making a resource unavailable is an over kill.
I think the process for adding a resource to another planet is the same as for adding a new resource, just different output on the third screen (Same place in the progress as the one I just posted).

I agree that the third screen for marking unavailabe does not present any usable information

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:42 pm

After confirming your marking of a resource (Or multiple resources) as unavailable, you will now be sent back to the page you came from (Which will typically be the Current Resources list or the "detailed information about the resource" page (show_resource.php)

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:03 am

Sobuno wrote:After confirming your marking of a resource (Or multiple resources) as unavailable, you will now be sent back to the page you came from (Which will typically be the Current Resources list or the "detailed information about the resource" page (show_resource.php)
Speeds things up a lot, thanks.

Ok on to my next question. :)

Why is the Flora data entry screen almost exactly the reverse of the survey readings?

I assume there is a reason although it would be nice if they lined up.

Hehe sick of me yet. :)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:15 am

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:After confirming your marking of a resource (Or multiple resources) as unavailable, you will now be sent back to the page you came from (Which will typically be the Current Resources list or the "detailed information about the resource" page (show_resource.php)

Why is the Flora data entry screen almost exactly the reverse of the survey readings?

I am confused as to which screen you're talking about? Any page name (current_resources.php?)

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:25 am

Sobuno wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:

I am confused as to which screen you're talking about? Any page name (current_resources.php?)
Ok when I survey for Flora the list the Survey tool gives me is almost the exact opposite of the way resources are listed on the page itself.

For example:

The Survey tool lists:
- Domestic Corn
- Wild Corn
at the top of the list and:
- Deciduous wood
- Conifer wood
- Evergreen wood

At bottom of the list.

The website lists the wood first and ends with corn.

Its not a huge deal but it does make comparing the lists very difficult, essentially I am wondering why the website doesn't report information the same as the survey tool for Flora.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:58 am

It's related to the order they were entered in our database. I did try to make them appear in the correct order once, but failed for some reason

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 am

hehe fair enough.

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:47 pm

Hmm... just an idea about all the work needed to collect ressource data.
Has the corresponding trader senators of the official forums ever tried to ask SOE for a data file which contains the ressource data of all new spawning stuff?
I don't know it would be possible to get an EDI port to SWG, but if it will be available, much work can be spared.
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:29 pm

I cannot really answer your question. The Senators do not have THAT much of power as the Emperor has, but then he uses some dark forces too.

It is not possible to download the data, it is even encrypted while in transfer to the game client.

I believe SOE, and many players too, considers the current system as a mini game in the game. Tedious? Yes. Still it gives an edge to some players.

When your account turns 6 months you are offered a one-time 30k resource crate (often named 30k veteran resource crate, or similar). Many of us use that crate to browse the current stats and we are very cautious so we do not use it for some mere 30k of some resource, great or not. Sitting at your porch you can browse the entire galaxy for current and historical resource data. Just be cautious so you don't end up with 30k of something in your inventory.

/Zimoon

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:23 pm

Zimoon wrote:I believe SOE, and many players too, considers the current system as a mini game in the game. Tedious? Yes. Still it gives an edge to some players.

When your account turns 6 months you are offered a one-time 30k resource crate (often named 30k veteran resource crate, or similar). Many of us use that crate to browse the current stats and we are very cautious so we do not use it for some mere 30k of some resource, great or not. Sitting at your porch you can browse the entire galaxy for current and historical resource data. Just be cautious so you don't end up with 30k of something in your inventory.

/Zimoon
If you don't want to wait the 6-month buy one, these are so AWASOME!!
Once you go 30k crate you don't go back :P

I would be kinda sad if players were able to just download the data, I like the advantage I get being one of the few who updates my galaxy. I get to know whats new first, the perks include first dibs on finding a good spawn, sometimes you get bank tips. I have started to delay my reporting if a resource has spawned that I want to get on, this because I'm in the mining business and I only have one real competitor and he uses my data against me, so it makes since to delay by few hours until I have my harvesters on the best location.

An idea just came to mind for SWGAide, time to go request it.

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Rommel wrote:...
Forget that idea :P
/Z

Rommel
Intermediate Crafter

Post by Rommel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Rommel wrote:...
Forget that idea :P
/Z
Too late.

Kirneh
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Kirneh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:03 am

k, I haven't thought about the mini-game aspect.
Silly idea of me :-)

Oh, BTW, my account is about 42 month old.... I still have the ressource deed :-)
Burn the land, boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me!

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:36 am

Kirneh wrote:...BTW, my account is about 42 month old.... I still have the ressource deed :-)
Congrats, you may want to have a look at SWGAide and ISDroids :)

/Zimoon

Ibaum
Apprentice Crafter

Post by Ibaum » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Rommel wrote: If you don't want to wait the 6-month buy one, these are so AWASOME!!
Once you go 30k crate you don't go back :P
Those things are sold for 20-40 mil credits on my server. I either wait for 9 months or I buy one, as some of us didn't understand the benefit they gave. I remember thinking to myself "But what if I get a resource I don't want? What if they give me, a structures trader, a crate full of wild corn?" Wish I had known then what I know now.
/Ibaum