Adding in resources and stats

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Sobuno
Developer

Re: Adding in resources and stats

Post by Sobuno » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:10 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:A window with a textfield that acts just like the one at the bottom of the page? Should be possible
The window I am talking would be similar to the "Add Resources (popup window - test)" option that is on the old site but instead of the link being at the top of the page as it is on the .com site it would be a link on each sub-category ie. minerals, chemicals etc. that way it would be possible add data and remain in the same category which would lead to much less scrolling.
Ahh, yes, I think I understand now

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Hopefully it would be possible as I really would like a more user friendly input system.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Added a popup window, same syntax for data entry as always

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Sobuno wrote:Added a popup window, same syntax for data entry as always

Looks good, now I get to pick on other things such as making resources unavailable.

:)

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:18 pm

Monty Burns wrote:Looks good, now I get to pick on other things such as making resources unavailable.
You mean to have more buttons for marking them unavailable? and not the one there is now. I love the check-boxes though, just select as many as you want. Only these check-boxes are a huuuuuuge improvement over the old .com :)

Have you had a look at SWGAide yet?

/Zimoon

EDITED: And ooooh, remember, for a resource found at several planets it suffices to mark only one of them unavailable, even that is an improvement.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 pm

Zimoon wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:Looks good, now I get to pick on other things such as making resources unavailable.
You mean to have more buttons for marking them unavailable? and not the one there is now. I love the check-boxes though, just select as many as you want. Only these check-boxes are a huuuuuuge improvement over the old .com :)

/Zimoon

EDITED: And ooooh, remember, for a resource found at several planets it suffices to mark only one of them unavailable, even that is an improvement.
+ the automatic marking unavailable of a type whenever a new resource of that type is in spawn (Based on a flag in the database as it is only meant to happen for certain types/classes/categories)

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:47 pm

Zimoon wrote:

/Zimoon

My issue with making things unavailable is more the number of screens involved in doing it than anything else, I think there is a check box (which I like), then a details screen and then a confirmation screen which really are unnecessary in my opinion and could be combined, and if I thought about it some more I would just put a second check box on the same screen as a "confirmation" step and left it at that.

I have had a brief look at SWGAide and I like it although I have hard time seeing the benefits in Survey Droids and always have, to me knowing a resource exists is far less important than knowing the stats of the resource, personally I wish they would make survey droids more useful and provide all of the stats as well especially given the amount of time it takes for the droid to do its job.
Last edited by Monty Burns on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Check the resources you want marked unavailable, hit the "Mark selected unavailable" button, confirmation screen (As in "Are you sure you want to..." listing each and every resource you checked), then a screen letting you know the resources that were marked unavailable

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:14 am

Incidentally thanks for implementing the new "Add" feature it has made life a lot easier.
Sobuno wrote:Check the resources you want marked unavailable, hit the "Mark selected unavailable" button, confirmation screen (As in "Are you sure you want to..." listing each and every resource you checked), then a screen letting you know the resources that were marked unavailable
My problem with this is that you are effectively asking me to confirm something twice which I find a bit redundant.

Example:
Screen 1 - Mark Mineral XXXXX unavailable, press accept. (no problems here)
Screen 2 - Confirm you want to mark Mineral XXXXX unavailable, press accept. (Slows things down but stops mistakes)
Screen 3 - Mineral XXXXX is unavailable, press accept. (Great another screen that tells me something I knew 2 screens ago)

The same deal applies to making resources unavailable...
Screen 1 - tick boxes to indicate you want to make resource unavailable.
Screen 2 - Do you want to make resources unavailable.
Screen 3 - You have made resources unavailable.

In both cases I struggle to see to need for screen 3.

But these are just my rantings and I guess it doesn't help that I am a huge fan of streamlining systems sometimes to the point that I can go too far.

:)

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:37 am

Hmm, you are correct, that screen does not provide any new information and never returns an error message.

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Sobuno wrote:Hmm, you are correct, that screen does not provide any new information and never returns an error message.
The "Add Resources" set up is the same, the third screen just seems redundant to me.

I think I meant to indicate this in the previous post rather than give two examples of the same process, one was meant to be adding resources and the other making them unavailable.

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:Hmm, you are correct, that screen does not provide any new information and never returns an error message.
The "Add Resources" set up is the same, the third screen just seems redundant to me.

I think I meant to indicate this in the previous post rather than give two examples of the same process, one was meant to be adding resources and the other making them unavailable.
The difference is that the third screen of the Add Resources process can return an error message thus it actually having some kind of use

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:41 pm

Sobuno wrote:The difference is that the third screen of the Add Resources process can return an error message thus it actually having some kind of use
Fair enough but there are checks earlier than this page is it a necessity?

Sobuno
Developer

Post by Sobuno » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Monty Burns wrote:
Sobuno wrote:The difference is that the third screen of the Add Resources process can return an error message thus it actually having some kind of use

Just to be clear, this (See below) is the screen we're talking about? It does bring forth new information (The stats exceed our known caps thus asking the user if he/she might have made a mistake)
Attachments
capture10.JPG
capture10.JPG (66.21 KiB) Viewed 8232 times

Monty Burns
Master Crafter

Post by Monty Burns » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 am

Sobuno wrote:
Monty Burns wrote:

Just to be clear, this (See below) is the screen we're talking about? It does bring forth new information (The stats exceed our known caps thus asking the user if he/she might have made a mistake)
Ok I was wrong about the adding resources screens (I actually think I was looking at the process of adding a resource that already existed ie adding it to a new planet, which gives you a third screen with no useful info) but I still think that the third screen on making a resource unavailable is an over kill.