Have you seen resource names differ between...

Submit ideas and suggestions on how we display, catalogue and export the resources.

Moderator: Forum Moderator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Have you seen resource names differ between...

Post by Zimoon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Yesterday I heard that a trusted guild mate had found a few current resources which names were read one way examining them in inventory and they read slightly different in the 30k kit. Have you found such resources? Is it even possible? What can cause it?

If we start with ruling out spelling mistakes, we all do them occasionally; we type a double letter, leave out one letter or two, hit the key next to the proper key, mix up g with q, i with l, and whatever. I do it, you do it, we all do it. The good thing is that we also find it, or somebody else do, and then we correct the error --- but we do not mark it unavailable and add the correct instance.

Well, assuming my guild mate is correct, a few resources are spelled one way in inventory and slightly different in the 30k crate. What could cause this? And if it really happens, how should we deal with it?

Personally I do not think that the SWG Devs are that stupid that they have resource names listed in several database tables for different use cases, one table for the 30k kit and another for inventory view, etc. That is just a so horrid idea that even a kicked-out of comp science classes at high school would not dream it up, the common rule is to have names and possibly data in one table each entry with some unique ID. Other tables relates to resources by ID but need not to double the rest of the data.

Causes? What first comes to mind is minor bugs in the GUI or in the communication system so that the data is correct but presentation sometimes go wrong. In that case we can neither trust spelling in the 30k crate nor inventory over the other, who can tell which is bugged? On the other hand, I have never found a resource that is spelled one way in an ISDroid report to be spelled slightly differently in the 30k crate when I lookup the stats. Have you? Possibly the 30k crate is more robust than the GUI :?

Communication errors. Sure, as far as I know the traffic is first of all compressed (compare WinZip compressed files) and it is encrypted. I have not stumbled over information on how to decompress and decrypt the traffic, perhaps the SOE Devs implemented some home-brewed code for it, then anything can happen which is since long ironed out in open source. So, it is a possibility, yes, but then that would struck also other traffic types and not just resource names and data, so ... not likely.

Locality problems. That is if a particular language has some oddities with letters, digits, time/date, etc., which must be dealt with in the operating system. Yes, this is a more common field for errors than you might think, sometimes slippery mud. Then this error could possibly happen on the less usual localities, hardly US-English or even UK. Perhaps a suspect.

Other than the above I have no idea. Have you seen this? Any ideas? But most of all, how to deal with this so that we keep the SWGCraft database pristine?

/Zimoon

Savacc
Architect & Shipwright Forum Moderator

Re: Have you seen resource names differ between...

Post by Savacc » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:42 pm

No, I have never seen something like this. :shock:

If we find it is true, then
1. Report it to the devs.
2. Get our senators on it.

As to how should we resolve a spelling inconsistency? Our priorities should be:
1. How is it spelled in the ISD report
2. How is it spelled in the Survey Device
3. How is it spelled in the 30k kit
4. How it is spelled in inventory

If 1,2,3 are in agreement, then 4 is irrelevant.

Just my 2cr worth of advise on the subject. :wink:

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:42 pm

That priority order is great :)

Onyx
Chef Forum Moderator

Post by Onyx » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 pm

I am pretty sure there are some misspellings of resource categories in the 30k deed though--or at least there used to be lol.

But I'd be very surprised on an actual resource name.
Onyx, Chef Forum Moderator

Whitley's Fine Food & Drinks
Open for business since June 2004 -- Twilight's End, Naboo (-3036, 5300), Kettemoor

Official Domestic Goods Senator

Zimoon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zimoon » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:41 am

Possibly I need to say the famous words "without screenies it has never happened" 8)

Zimoon